Madison's Entire Staff Now In Place

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would tend to give a little more credibility to the folks at FOX......We shall see......Just in! Low flying pig watch just confirmed on "Swine Doppler" tonight for greater Madison, WI.......The weather guy says that this watch should last for at least the next two months. Furthermore, he said in the mean time there's "nothing more for us to do but talk amongst ourselves and think happy thoughts regarding your favorite drum corps". He went on to state that within two months we will either spot aerodynamic oinkers, or we wont.

The Feds say the Swine Flu vaccine might be just what the doctor ordered to ward off any possible encounters with low flying oinkers.

Incidentally, has it been confirmed that Madison intends to field 86 Brass this year ? Or is this the word out of Rumor Central ?

Edited by BRASSO

Incidentally, has it been confirmed that Madison intends to field 86 Brass this year ? Or is this the word out of Rumor Central ?

Here's our excellent source:

Well som,ebody said earlier that in order to march 20 Tubas

they would have to have 80-100 horns, so i picked 86....here's hoping!!!

I have no idea where people are getting 20 tubas I haven't seen confirmation of that especially since not even HNC could get 16 (it was 16 they were shooting for right?) competent tubas, let alone 20.

I have no idea where people are getting 20 tubas I haven't seen confirmation of that especially since not even HNC could get 16 (it was 16 they were shooting for right?) competent tubas, let alone 20.

The source for the report that the Madison Scouts were going out next year with 20 tubas and between 85 and 100 Brass came from the Congressional Budget Office. However, they said these were only preliminary numbers and that they eventually could go up once their office got more specifics from the Scouts.

The Feds say the Swine Flu vaccine might be just what the doctor ordered to ward off any possible encounters with low flying oinkers.

It's a number manufactured entirely out of thin air.......And in turn, there are those here that have decided that they're enjoying running with this fictitious number......(I think I heard 150 somewhere).

Edited by Mad75

...and it would be the first time tubas from Madison were ever heard...

But seriously, let's do some math, just for fun. 4-5 corps marched 16 tubas with 80 horns last summer.

16/80 = 20% (That's a pretty good number, close to the 12/64, which is another good ratio. 72-member hornlines should march 14 tubas, which a few have done)

So, if you're going with 20 tubas, that would imply a hornline of 100, lol.

Ain't gunna happen in these "Summer Winter Guard with Live Drum Corps Accompaniment" days.

Now, if you had said "madison is going with 20 lead trumpets," that's a lot more believable!

It's a number manufactured entirely out of thin air.......And in turn, there are those here that have decided that they're enjoying running with this fictitious number......(I think I heard 150 somewhere).

I can almost hear already the report coming out of Madison's first camp :

" 76 Trombones led the Big Parade, with one hundred and ten Cornets close at hand. They were followed by rows and rows of the finest Virtuosos, the cream of every famous band, etc............ " Courtesy report for DCP provided by Prof. Harold Hill from the Iowa Music Academy.

Edited by BRASSO

If I had to guess (based on what Madison's new consultants have done in the past), I would guess a significantly larger hornline with maybe more variety (euphs, french horns maybe, etc). I've heard stories of how drastically Star shifted instrumentation in the early 90's to add a larger horn line (at the expense of a larger drumline).

The results speak for themselves (in Star's case, at least). Yes, cymbals are cool, but I don't think they are a necessity and haven't been in almost two decades with the expansion of the front ensemble. If the plan is indeed to field a larger horn line, and keep the same amount of guard members (or larger), then the most logical place to start cutting back would be the cymbal line.

For those of you upset with that, I guess be careful what you wish for. If you wanted a radical change with high profile designers, don't be surprised when radical change happens...

I would doubt we are going to see French horn bugles from that line. Star didn't have them. Cadets didn't have them. I don't think Troopers had them ( DVD '85 line).

I think some of this staff are the people who helped usher in all mellophone lines.

I think we're going to see trumpets, mellophones, baritones, euphs, and tubas from these guys.

It would be 'neat' to hear a trumpet, flugel, mellophone, frenchy, baritone, euph, and contra line though. Maybe that would be hard to tune, but it would be a different and 'dark' ish sound...

It's a crap shoot from year to year. I know Star, for instance, had 18 contras in 1986 during their "Selections from Close Encounters of the Third Kind" portion of their show. Of course they took a few euphs away and put them on contra. (sort of similiar idea to Phantom's Faust show).

I'd guess that Madison could find 20 tubas now-a-days if they start early....

Remember, this staff has historically designed well AND practiced well...

Personally I think comming up with 20 (high quality) tuba players is a huge challenge with all the lines being bigger these days. Sacrificing talent for numbers isn't a game I see Madison getting into.