Madison's Entire Staff Now In Place

It's 640 am where I am right now, and as such, I dont particularly care about logical fallacies, or over dramaticisations of inflicting 'pain at every turn'. If a post on dcp ever goes as far as to inflict pain, then I think you have problems that go waaayyyy beyond anything a new staff can fix. I am aware of certain poster's previous tendacies....believe me, I have spent (i.e. wasted) more than enough time on this site. That said, it does not change my opinion on the realities of this particular subject. As someone who has absolutely no horse in the race (because really, am I worried about madison beating my old corps?...no), I simply happened to side with the 'bad guys' in this thread. Why?...i dont know....maybe its more interesting that way....or maybe.......just maybe...they have a point.

Seven hours ahead......Somewhere in Europe?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven hours ahead......Somewhere in Europe?

Yup.....Paris. And with no prior connections, I somehow wound up getting involved with the only active drum corps in this country....why am I not surprised. Camp in 2 weeks :tongue:

On another note, has anyone confirmed if Madison is, or is not marching a "Plate Line" in 2010? There's still no "cymbal tech" listed on the Madison site, but there have been a few other new additions:

Eric Thompson - Battery Visual Tech

Oliver Rodriquez - Senior Front Ensemble Tech

Brandt Murphy - Visual Tech

Whitney Medworth - Visual Intern

Also, I have a question that maybe "Cop" or other guard experts may be able to address regarding Guard Philosophy. I've been told by several individuals that there are essentially "two schools" of guard theory. I'm told that "those" who most recently oversaw Madison's guard program were believers of one philosophy and that the new guard staff resides within the "other camp"!

Can anyone out their explain for the rest of us what these "two" guard philosophies are and the differences between them? The only thing I've been told is that the differences in opinion are so stark that it's essentially akin to mixing oil and water. Are the differences that pronounced?

Yup.....Paris. And with no prior connections, I somehow wound up getting involved with the only active drum corps in this country....why am I not surprised. Camp in 2 weeks :tongue:

Very interesting! I've often wondered about the overall status of European drum corps. I've honestly not delved to much into the topic, but I've watched some very fascinating clips on Youtube where some groups out of Northern Europe (I think Norway?) were referring to themselves as drum corps. I would classify them more as brass bands since they seemed to be marching a greater variety of classic brass instruments and marching percussion. These were very large indoor venues on a stage of sorts and about half the size of a regular American football field. These groups were performing small field shows that were for the most part very old school, linear formations with heavy military precision and moves. Whatever it was, I enjoyed watching it quite a bit........I've got a feeling though that this isn't the type of drum corps your involved with.

On another note, has anyone confirmed if Madison is, or is not marching a "Plate Line" in 2010? There's still no "cymbal tech" listed on the Madison site, but there have been a few other new additions:

Eric Thompson - Battery Visual Tech

Oliver Rodriquez - Senior Front Ensemble Tech

Brandt Murphy - Visual Tech

Whitney Medworth - Visual Intern

Also, I have a question that maybe "Cop" or other guard experts may be able to address regarding Guard Philosophy. I've been told by several individuals that there are essentially "two schools" of guard theory. I'm told that "those" who most recently oversaw Madison's guard program were believers of one philosophy and that the new guard staff resides within the "other camp"!

Can anyone out their explain for the rest of us what these "two" guard philosophies are and the differences between them? The only thing I've been told is that the differences in opinion are so stark that it's essentially akin to mixing oil and water. Are the differences that pronounced?

I can only speak on Brandt Murphy, or Cajun as we call him. I dont really see him being the plate tech, seeing as how...from my knowledge, he's never done anything with plates. This is probably because he marched bari/ euph for a long time with Madison and was the horn sgt. in 2005. I had him as a tech in 2008 and he's an amazing one at that. Extremely knowledgable from a visual standpoint, as well as philosophically what it means to be a true Madison Scout. I can't give enough praise for him and what kind of tech he is.

yaaawwwnnn....he said the corps will be BETTER. BEETTTTTERRR!!!. What else is there. The fact is that some design staff's DO spend a lot of time on tour. Jeff Sacktig was on tour with us most of the year, as the drill writer, and spend plenty of time cleaning his own drill. It happens. I realize contrajedi is not normally a madison supporter.....i've been around long enough to know that....but you CANT just dismiss someone's commentary because of their history.....and its especially foolish to do so when they are siding with you.

Its possible to express disagreement without smug expressions like yawning. Someone spends the majority of their time either ripping an organization outright or attempting to "correct" supporters perceived overzealousness over their own corps prospects, its really not necessary to parse this or that comment for a conciliatory nugget when the same intent runs thru all their commentary. You are of course entitled to your own opinion. I am not particularly concerned with what you think is foolish.

Edited by Scerpella

Its possible to express disagreement without smug expressions like yawning. Someone spends the majority of their time either ripping an organization outright or attempting to "correct" supporters perceived overzealousness over their own corps prospects, its really not necessary to parse this or that comment for a conciliatory nugget when the same intent runs thru all their commentary. You are of course entitled to your own opinion. I am not particularly concerned with what you think is foolish.

Sure it is, but sometimes I like to be smug....it's fun :tongue: Other times, I am tired, both physically, and of reading the same thing over and over, such as 6am last night (morning) when I replied to the post.

So, for an example of why I think this is getting foolish.....I may not have liked BD much for the past few years, and most of my posts about them have been consistently negative. Does that mean that when I said (and this is something I have actually posted circa 2009) "I really dont enjoy the blue devils show this year, or understand how its scoring so well, but I actually came away humming the music for the first time in years". It IS possible to appreciate one aspect of something that you dont enjoy, and contrajedi, as anti-madison as he normally is, can probably see that they have a good staff, and that no matter how good or bad the corps is, the show design is likely to improve.

I can only speak on Brandt Murphy, or Cajun as we call him...............I had him as a tech in 2008 and he's an amazing one at that. Extremely knowledgable from a visual standpoint, as well as philosophically what it means to be a true Madison Scout. I can't give enough praise for him and what kind of tech he is.

If I'm not mistaken Cajun, who is still active in the U.S. Army, was deployed to Iraq in 2009 or he probably would've been helping out with the Scouts last year as well.

I got to know Cajun a bit in 2008 during my "ride guy" gig and it will be great having him around the Scouts again. Truly a top notch Madison Scout alum.

Nice to read positive things about the other newly announced techs.

Oliver Rodriguez. Did he march Boston? Anyone know? I think I might know him if I'm thinking of the right guy. Nice dude.