2010 Predictions (Thats right, its THAT time of the off-season)

And then I will strap on a snare drum and call my self "The Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass" and sweep all captions.

Ah, yes, that might help. But with the two S's on the end, that'll mean that the corps called A will win. (I mean, isn't the letter A always first in the dictionary?)

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes, that might help. But with the two S's on the end, that'll mean that the corps called A will win. (I mean, isn't the letter A always first in the dictionary?)

...touche, good sir.

How can you tell how much talent a corps really has ???

tell us ?

YOU CAN'T.

Well, by reading corps websites and press releases, they are always the most talented they have ever been, so that isnt a good way to judge (obviously). Still, to claim that its impossible to relatively compare talent (or ability, or whatever you want to call it) from year to year seems a little silly to me. Is there one single person out there that can measure the talent of an entire drum corps...no, but the aggregate of various people's informed decision about the talent of a group is something I can agree with. If, at the end of the year, Gino, Chad, Sean, etc....of the brass staff tell me that year xxxx cadets corps was the most talented theyve ever worked with, I'm going to believe them generally. How many times do we hear things like "they had the talent, but their show design held them back"?...or "the show was written too hard for their talent / ability"? Whenever one says this, they are making a judgement on the talent of the group.

The ironic thing here is that you are comparing talent to show design, which if anything, is even more immeasurable. I mean, a couple directors got together and made some rules over what good show design is, then told judges to enforce it, and then spend the entire season arguing with those same judges that their corps is the one meeting those rules the best. In the end, they get measured anyway....in the same way that judges, fans, directors - measure talent. Sure....a lot of other things come into play, especially for those on the outside looking in. Unless you are with the corps, it's hard to differentiate between talent of the members, talent of the staff, work ethic, rehearsal planning and pacing, etc.... BUT, for someone who knows the corps, and knows the members, especially from early on in the season, talent and ability are certainly measureable.

To imply that variations in talent are unquantifiable is saying that they are also not noticable, which is ludicrous. Take the Blue Devils and Spirit, and then switch the 150 members. Everything else stays the same.....so the spirit members get BD's show design, their exact music and visual package, their touring schedule, their cook truck, their staff.....everything. The only difference is that the "blue devils" now have the same talent level as spirit (no offense guys :). Do the blue devils (with spirit's members) win? Score a 99.05? Make the top 3, top 6?? Obviously talent matters, and is measurable, at least on a qualitative scale.

So, in summary, YOU CAN :withstupid:

Edited by euponitone

Nick 1

Chez -100

So what....all I need to catch up is to have a successful career teaching drum corps for a few decades, right??? :withstupid:

That is a negative 100... incase you aren't being sarcastic...

but don't get me started... I'd rather not be banned from DCP... I need to terrorize people somewhere...

That is a negative 100... incase you aren't being sarcastic...

but don't get me started... I'd rather not be banned from DCP... I need to terrorize people somewhere...

*steps away from the keyboard*

1 Crown- Show design plus music plus large incoming auctioneers from experienced drum corps members = hopeful comparison to Star 91.

2 BD- These guys are just too good. Expected a tight show with more demanding moments than 09, which hurts them into second.

3 Cadets- Like 09, toughest show in DCI. Unfortunately, again like 09, too tough. fan favorite behind crown, of course

4 SCV- Hard to follow up a great 4th place show. Still needs work in visual program.

5 Bluecoats - hated last years show, but loved 07 and 08. Hopefully a return to a simpler story and a better placement.

6 Blue Stars - to stay where they were, they had to be better than the year before. With the staff set in, show announcement done, this corps has their stuff together and is gonna come out charging.

7 Phantom - Returning back to form? Hopefully. Last years corps was so dirty from up close, and didn't get to clean till the last 3 works. We know, it's tough to follow Sparticus. But you have to.

8 Cavaliers - the corps is slipping. I still see a cavies uniform and think "perfection". Then I watch the show, and I realize, no more. Will not fall out of finals though, how long till another ring? maybe 5/6 years down the road. Need to settle in and work, just like Crown did.

9 Boston- 08-too hard. 09- too easy. 10- just right?

10 BK- liked 09 better than any other recent show.. keep that up

11 Madison- all star staff. coming back.

12 Too hard to guess.

My only 2010 prediction so far - The Cavaliers wont be NEARLY as bad as everyone seems to expect..... :withstupid: