Indoor Brass - The Next Sport of the Arts

Drummeric

What's the general feeling towards indoor brass as an official winter-time sport? Personally, I think it's got more potential than the indoor drumming activity and could one day even rival drum corps.

I ask because Dark Sky Percussion is looking to start an indoor brass line to complement their indoor drumline, so what's your thoughts about moving youth education in the arts this direction?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, i'd love to try it if it became a reality. i'd imagine it would also be cheaper than drum corps, so that would be a plus for people who can't afford it.

I just love what blast! does, so the thought of someday being able to do something like that myself is kind of exciting

I'm not a brass player, but I would support it. Would you consider it, though, if woodwinds were allowed in this too? Just a question, because I do play woodwind (saxophone), and, personally, I would have more interest in joining if there were woodwinds. Just a thought......

I think it's the next natural step. We've got indoor guard, indoor drums, next - indoor winds. Eventually, I think we'll see a merging of it (or at least an additional division) to marching units.

Due to the massive disparity of numbers between scholastic and independent units, I'm guessing WW's would be allowed from the get go. Why would a school participate if half their winds are automatically ineligible?

Mike

One of my roommates from college started an indoor group at Auburn High School in Auburn, NY. Can't remember whether or not it had WW or not, but it seemed pretty cool. Kept everyone playing/marching after marching band was finished for the season. The best thing about it, was that the kids wanted to do it.

well there are already indoor bands which are usually all brass with a couple percussion [in MCGC at least] and it hasn't seemed to catch on yet..

I think it's the next natural step. We've got indoor guard, indoor drums, next - indoor winds. Eventually, I think we'll see a merging of it (or at least an additional division) to marching units.

Due to the massive disparity of numbers between scholastic and independent units, I'm guessing WW's would be allowed from the get go. Why would a school participate if half their winds are automatically ineligible?

Mike

I'm thinking the OP's original question should be posted on RAMD. If I'm not mistaken this site is related to....DRUMS and BUGLES. :blink: Maybe a new web site is in the offing. Just sayin.......

Edited by melligene

This is a perennial topic on here. Winter guard and winter drumline competitions have been around for ages, but winter brass has never really caught on. If I had to say why, I'd say that it's probably two sides of the same answer: a person who loves to do marching percussion and the styles that related to/derived from it only has the outlets of marching band, drum corps and winter drumline to perform that; likewise for someone who loves to do color guard. A brass player has many options that are more related without the marching part, and which are not nearly as far removed in how it's done as the performance aspects of percussion and guard in the marching arts are from their "real world" counterparts, if that makes sense. When I was in high school and college, I never really looked at the way I was playing in corps differently from the way I was playing in anything else--if anything, the challenge in corps is to not change your playing approach just because you're moving--so I never really felt like I was missing anything. Plus, a brass player's probably involved in multiple groups, and if there's drum corps on top of that it's even more time-consuming...I can't imagine having had the time during high school or college to devote to a marching brass ensemble on top of concert band, brass quintet, orchestra, solo work, and Blue Stars.

Not to say that no one should try, but I think that's a big reason it hasn't caught on en masse like winter drumlines or guards have.