The history of the Westshoremen

I have no clue who this person is.

Thanks for fixing the date of the bus crash, Jim. We all can laugh about that now, and we do-- when it actually happened, not so funny. I was woke up the BANG!, then the wind on my face, pieces of stuff hitting me on the face. I look over and see Howie slumped over the wheel and the windshield hanging cockeyed. I figured he was dead which pretty much scared the heck out of me. I saw the I-81 median dipped down pretty good, I turned around, hugged the seat back of the bus, buried my face into it, and stayed that way till the bus stopped. I figured we were gonna coast down and into that median and roll the bus, and we'd have to get out through the windows or the roof hatches like buses back then had.

Thankfully, the bus ran over I think 5 of those big orange squishy barrels which drug underneath and stopped the bus before it left the road proper. Must have taken 10 secs from BANG! to stop. I was *thrilled* when I saw Howie get up and he was just shaken up bad and not hurt. I'm not kidding when I thought he was a goner.

Looking back on it, Once Larry got a hold of the situation and was likely thankful as heck no one'd been hurt- a miracle really- he was outwardly pretty calm, and got the people and equipment reorganized onto the other 2 buses quickly, safely, and efficiently, and we went the rest of the way up crowded as heck, but once ww were done with the morning rehersal block, we had a new, clean bus from Onondaga waiting for us. I think we were just so thankful we had a bus and we were all in one piece, Larry didn't have to read us the usual riot act to take proper care of the nice new bus that we now had for the rest of the weekend and not destroy it.

Can't remember if Paul G./ Weasel was on-board with me for that bit-o-fun. Paul's a great guy, his Mom was a real peach.

Well, there's a more serious story. Drum Corps isn't all Care Bears and pink clouds. :worthy:

Jim, I still remember you telling us about quitting a job back in period and loudly singing "Take this Job and Shove it" when you walked out the door of the place. I never forgot that, and thought of you specifically a couple of times in my life because of that, dude. :tongue:

There's a funny story to make up for the rough one.

Thanks for fixing the date of the bus crash, Jim. We all can laugh about that now, and we do-- when it actually happened, not so funny. I was woke up the BANG!, then the wind on my face, pieces of stuff hitting me on the face.

Think I have it.... but can't remember the name....

Jim, I still remember you telling us about quitting a job back in period and loudly singing "Take this Job and Shove it" when you walked out the door of the place. I never forgot that, and thought of you specifically a couple of times in my life because of that, dude. :tongue:

No wait..... NOW I think I have it...... after factoring the other clues OH HELL YEAH!!!

LOL, just answer two questions

1) Did you ever work in a warehouse in downtown Harrisburg..... I think no....

2) Does Prof Kittinger ring a bell few years back.... I think yes

LOL... I ain't telling as you DEFINITELY know me.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

still no clue, but not gonna waste time guessing.

I doubt it. I always had George as a driver, so you know I prefer the straight ahead pedal to the metal approach

I doubt it. I always had George as a driver, so you know I prefer the straight ahead pedal to the metal approach

Yes. Especially when he nearly slammed headlong into Bus 1 on the Tappan Zee bridge once he found out there was a topless girl in the Audi in the left lane with the open sunroof that Bus 1 was getting a pretty good look at in the meantime. :tongue:

So who was Bus #3 (aka the "Deer Killer")?

As related by Weasel Geiger . so named by Terry Martin when Paul was making time with Terrys girl friend. ("Hey look at Paul weaseling in.... hey Paul... hey Weasel...") <$1 to "Animal House"> Paul turned around with a WTF look that had us roaring.... :tongue:

CB conversation:

Bus #1 - Hey Bambi off the side watch it guys

<few second pause>

Bus #2 - I'm past but looks like it's gonna move

<few second pause>

<another few second pause>

Bus #3 - Aw ####!!! Pull over guys.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yes. Especially when he nearly slammed headlong into Bus 1 on the Tappan Zee bridge once he found out there was a topless girl in the Audi in the left lane with the open sunroof that Bus 1 was getting a pretty good look at in the meantime. :tongue:

I loved George and Howie. George got trapped taking my HS band to Canada my freshman year.....man did he and I raise hell. I get on the bus, look up, see George and announce to all we'd be in Canada in 5 hours or less :tongue:

he then, while we were driving, made me demonstrate cooler surfing to the other kids. Yeah, my band director didn't request him ever again :blink:

in 90 we had a driver nicknamed Hoss...crazy ####er....we're coming down 81 from Scranton and he'd kill the headlights, he was doing donuts in the parking lot at the Stadium

I loved George and Howie. George got trapped taking my HS band to Canada my freshman year.....man did he and I raise hell. I get on the bus, look up, see George and announce to all we'd be in Canada in 5 hours or less :tongue:

he then, while we were driving, made me demonstrate cooler surfing to the other kids. Yeah, my band director didn't request him ever again :blink:

in 90 we had a driver nicknamed Hoss...crazy ####er....we're coming down 81 from Scranton and he'd kill the headlights, he was doing donuts in the parking lot at the Stadium

I feel blessed to have known Tom Mc Shane and witness the funniest prank he did in my time with the corps: "HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT!! (POOR VINCE)!