The history of the Westshoremen

Rick was 83 when hebroke his finger on the last note of the show

Ok...knew it was something like that.... There's video of me royally screwing up a set at the end of the opener in 1985... didn't screw it up the whole year, and BAM! Finals I messed up! :blink: talk about a brain fart!

I think I know the corps you mean. well.....yeah nuff said.

and there is NO rule that says scores should go up every week exceptin USSBA. Hence why I hate the profiles in TOB

The only thing I hated about TOB was there were a WHOLE lot of different judges from week to week, and one would tell you one thing and rate you high, then the next week a different guy would say your show needed, this, this and this or he would have scored higher...the "box" system was good to a point, but when personal preferences took over, it got tough.

The years I worked with Cedar Cliff, and had to hit most of the meetings myself were a testament to not flipping out on people. The Hagerstown years were a "whole 'nother aminal!" :shutup:

Thankfully closer to Chapters you'd see the guys that were judging championships, and hope that they were doing your class....if the favorable guys showed up, you got the right placement, if they didn't...you sat for ACC's!

Rook had a good system (when he worked with Methacton) where he kept track of who said what, and made sure he found out who was judging a particular show, if it was someone from before, he'd make sure that they'd play to HIS taste, and modify the things that the particular judge suggested...it kept them in the running a lot of times! :thumbup:

Ok...knew it was something like that.... There's video of me royally screwing up a set at the end of the opener in 1985... didn't screw it up the whole year, and BAM! Finals I messed up! :blink: talk about a brain fart!

I will alwaysremember it, because all night after finals, Rickwalked around the hotel showing anyoneand everyone his"injury". This was done the same way :tongue: you flip someone off

The only thing I hated about TOB was there were a WHOLE lot of different judges from week to week, and one would tell you one thing and rate you high, then the next week a different guy would say your show needed, this, this and this or he would have scored higher...the "box" system was good to a point, but when personal preferences took over, it got tough.

The years I worked with Cedar Cliff, and had to hit most of the meetings myself were a testament to not flipping out on people. The Hagerstown years were a "whole 'nother aminal!" :shutup:

Thankfully closer to Chapters you'd see the guys that were judging championships, and hope that they were doing your class....if the favorable guys showed up, you got the right placement, if they didn't...you sat for ACC's!

Rook had a good system (when he worked with Methacton) where he kept track of who said what, and made sure he found out who was judging a particular show, if it was someone from before, he'd make sure that they'd play to HIS taste, and modify the things that the particular judge suggested...it kept them in the running a lot of times! :thumbup:

the problem is the size of TOB means it's not humanly possible to get somewhere twice. If you are selected for ACC's, in most cases you need to hit at least 5 chapters...even tougher with the shorter season.

The profiles can be good, but at times it's Well they were L3 last week, M3 this week". That's not always the case. I've seen how scheduling gets done for the end of the year, and it can be a pain.

Then there's 2007, Where I was asked to do group 1. But due to protests, availability and other things, I had seen 4...count it 4...of the 27 bands prior to ACC's. I'm glad they had faith in me, and the call was pretty easy, but still...that was pressure.

Then again, in 2008 when I did group 2, I had seen all of the players but 1. Box 4 onlygoes from 188 to 200, and let me tell you, I had to do serious numbers management, because I could have had at least 10 bands up there, but I had to leave some room. Plus, the two going in that I thought had the best shot (I didn't prejudge tho) ended up 3rd and 4th.

If Middle Twp had gone on last that night, I would have popped the 20. No doubt. Absolutely flawless design and performance in some nasty rain. I remember endingmy tape, turning to talk to the tent to put down numbers and Gabe came up to me and said " I can see it in your eyes, and I agree. But you have 3 to go, so leave room."

Hell, I would have 99/99'd if I could have

I wish I lived in Middle Township! :thumbup:

Yeah....I know the "keep them low we have X- weeks to go" thing, but ya know, if they deserve it, they DESERVE it! :doh:

I forgot about getting the recaps from prior weeks.....I always had mixed feelings about that, especially when a judge read your show wrong, or just had a different opinion, it would influence whomever was judging this week (and/or makes for lazy seeding) I remember a few times walking into a judges meeting and the judge telling me that he would have scored us higher IF, but didn't want to jump the gun....then the next week getting a similar score but a better critique because the judge saw the prior scores....

But I didn't screw up :) I was having fun and just extended the show by a second :)

I wish I lived in Middle Township! :thumbup:

Yeah....I know the "keep them low we have X- weeks to go" thing, but ya know, if they deserve it, they DESERVE it! :doh:

I forgot about getting the recaps from prior weeks.....I always had mixed feelings about that, especially when a judge read your show wrong, or just had a different opinion, it would influence whomever was judging this week (and/or makes for lazy seeding) I remember a few times walking into a judges meeting and the judge telling me that he would have scored us higher IF, but didn't want to jump the gun....then the next week getting a similar score but a better critique because the judge saw the prior scores....

I agree until ACC's. you have to leave room. IF you 10/10 someone with 3 to go, as Dom always said "you may as well tell the other three to #### in their hat and go home"

That's still my complaint with Garfield in 87. 10/10 with still BD to go.

recaps are availabe for all to see, but you never see who judged it ( unless you're administration or web staff). I never let that influence me, and it's been getting better

i miss my days with the westshoremen. good times

when were your days?

I agree until ACC's. you have to leave room. IF you 10/10 someone with 3 to go, as Dom always said "you may as well tell the other three to #### in their hat and go home"

That's still my complaint with Garfield in 87. 10/10 with still BD to go.

recaps are availabe for all to see, but you never see who judged it ( unless you're administration or web staff). I never let that influence me, and it's been getting better

Still have yet to hand out a perfect score. Close Twice. Once, because several groups were coming on afterwards- one who had beaten that group perviously on my sheet that season. Had to leave the perfecto opportunity for that group. They just couldn't do it.

The other involved Middle. 99/99 with two groups to go.... 26 groups, tied no one. the way DCA does things now is much improved. having 100/100 to work with means you can avoid ties, they just use the multiplier to give the score the weight it should have. Would have been nice BITD, for Field Brass BITD they could have just taken the 100/100 sheet and multiplied by .4 instead of using an 8 point 40/40 sheet. Go into championships with .8 in the top box total off both sub captions and 9 or so groups all peforming within that set of criteria LOL. It made things... difficult. :lookaround:

Edited by BigW