The history of the Westshoremen

At least half the fun, Jeff. You'll see why.

oh trust me. the week before finals in 96 wasn't on home turf, and wasn't so fun. I figure I'll get to that around 2020

Not remembering any of that yet....

Not remembering any of that yet....

Because of where you were in the retreat formation, you may not have seen what went on with the corps that was immediately to our right at the Grand Prix. The baris sure as heck DID.

Pretty unforgettable, the ultimate in your face lack of discretion buncho crapola I've ever seen out of another corps.

You may not have been in on the Matadors conversations, either. Remember, I kinda floated around in a few circles, mainly with Rook, though, sometimes with Mike and Bruce.

Because of where you were in the retreat formation, you may not have seen what went on with the corps that was immediately to our right at the Grand Prix. The baris sure as heck DID.

Pretty unforgettable, the ultimate in your face lack of discretion buncho crapola I've ever seen out of another corps.

You may not have been in on the Matadors conversations, either. Remember, I kinda floated around in a few circles, mainly with Rook, though, sometimes with Mike and Bruce.

Spill it brotha spill it!! :thumbup:

http://cumberlink.co...1a4bcf887a.html

Wonderful aerticle on Dave Rohrer....even if they do have Carlisle listed in the wrong Chapter :tongue:

4 ACC's titles, 16 Chapter Championships, never below 9th. Impressive run.

Biggest applause last night when Dave read thru several of his favorite memories was when the said "and in 1986, we beat Cumberland valley for the first time"

Edited by Jeff Ream

Well, even the Matadors get mixed up in the story.

By the time I joined the corps in 1979, they were on a downhill slide they never recovered from and were never a threat to the corps. I'll admit we were an opportunistic bunch that took advantage of other corps' struggles to keep fighting our way to the top.

That being said, in 1977 and 1978, the Matadors were 4th, and had nothing but upside. They'd fought hard all season in '77 and beaten Sky and a very good Crusader corps.

They fended off pushes from the Hurcs and Crusaders again in 1978 and surged at the season's end for 4th. I know Tom Peashey has said the '77 and '78 Crusaders were very good corps, I saw them as well, I agree.

I know there was talk during the period about the Matadors putting together a run to take it all. They were extremely entetaining, people adored Jim Centorino and Ritchie, who were just flat out wild on the field, and the shows just struck a real chord with the fans. I know without the internet, we had no idea the Matadors were struggling in '79 until they came out late and were scoring well below us, which we found out via DCP and DCN, and didn't see them until Scranton where we beat them soundly. I know we did NOT expect to be able to beat them in 1979, and it was unexpected gravy.

When we started towards the Grand Prix, with 4 wins in a row, three of them against at least one or more of the big names in DCA, there was a discussion within the corps about how supposedly the Matadors had been intimidated heavily by a certain top end DCA Corps and it caused the corps to flinch. Rumor? I don't know. I can't say. The thing is, we took this seriously, and that is what mattered, whether it was the truth or not.

And so other people who read this don't think I'm talking about their corps, it sure as heck wasn't Sun, Reading, Crusaders, or the Cabs. The Cabs didn't know what in God's name to make of us a lot of the time, but they were never mean to us. We were kinda like the nerdy kid brother that's goofy, but was still a good guy to them. They wouldn't have invited us to hang out at Post 199 with them (more on that later) if they didn't like us. Yeah, the Hurcs talked trash with us and this has been well discussed. It also wasn't them. We'd shown we could beat them before, and I know for certain we weren't afraid of competing with them. In fact, I think when they were at a show with them, we pushed a lot harder.

You can figure out who. I ain't sayin'. I will say that people I have known and worked with from this organization are all good people that I have liked a lot. My guess is they had a fair number of people who caused problems for the corps on board and were jerks and troublemakers in this time period.

All I know is that there was a consensus within those of us who talked about it- if they were gonna play games with us, we weren't gonna flinch. We would stand up for ourselves and act right, perform hard, not start anything, but if something started, we'd not flinch. We were at the point where I know we believed in ourselves enough not to let that bunch of "folks" bully us.

There were games played by this corps at The Grand Prix. An interesting show to go to from a young performer's standpoint just because they sold Sangria. It became mroe interesting for the Westshoremen in 1982, more later....

well looking at all of the names mentioned, it doesn't leave a lot to the imagination who it was.

and hey Sinatra was so popular they used one of his signatures songs every year.

they even loved Rickey Lee

well looking at all of the names mentioned, it doesn't leave a lot to the imagination who it was.

and hey Sinatra was so popular they used one of his signatures songs every year.

they even loved Rickey Lee

Loved Ricky Lee enough to want to try and catch him and throw him back down the hill. :whistle:

My years in Sun... that corps "that shall not be named" tried everything to throw us off our game.

Everything. From verbal taunts, to attempts at physical intimidation, to just about anything in between.

None of it worked.

Part of the reason, IMO, is that our membership came from NYC, Long Island, and New Jersey... with a few from the New England area thrown in. Not exactly wallflowers. LOL.

We had some tough customers (including our share of certifiable lunatics) who could, and did, brush off the various shenanigans, mind games, etc... and we also tended to put our focus on our performances, and not what we did or said off the field. (With maybe an exception here or there... :tongue:)

It's weird... some of my best friends in drum corps were with that corps, and several are with the alumni corps now. But it was a strange set of circumstances back then, for sure.