The history of the Westshoremen

Ben, no Carlisle kids in 89. Some CV, a bunch of Crest.... Oh and Clark was a Carlisle grad, but he was class of 83 I think.

Dan and John set out by recruiting people they knew or were told about. We were never chops fiends, we worked hard, and were taught to work smart. In 90 a few Carlisle kids came in, but so did kids from Red Land, upper dauphin and others. By 96, all but maybe 4 people hadn't been in the corps or taught by those of us in it. We all taught the same way. Going to ACCs was a riot: you could tell the lines from Chapter 6 by sound.

Guy my only (thank Goodness) year at IUP had a head DM that must have arthritic shoulders by now. He's throw his back backwards at about a 30 degree angle and pop his shoulder blades. Looked impressive to the HS'ers who joined and people who were in the band before thought their crap didn't stink. To me and the guy from Finleyville Royal Crusaders it was "So where's the ####### beat?... Screw it, the drum line has their crap together and we're close to them. Just listen".

Oh yeah.... One of my favs was on last night "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (go figure) and thought of this thread. Smiler Grogan (Jimmy Durante): "The moneys buried under a Big W". Then the cast of idiots try to figure out what could be a "Big W". :tongue:

IUP DM's stink. and any HS kid trained by them is a train wreck.

Grats, Jim- you're the first to get the reference that I used to create my handle. :thumbdown::whistle::thumbup:

I love that movie....

Grats, Jim- you're the first to get the reference that I used to create my handle. :thumbdown::whistle::thumbup:

I love that movie....

Oh Hell thought it was a co-incidence..... :tongue:

My wife never saw the movie and funniest part was pointing out Mickey Rooney. (She's a MR fan since "Night At The Museum") Yeah... him... the guy with hair..... and young.... and running.... Bizarre part was comparing Mickeys age changes to Jonathan Winters.

LMAO, stayed up until the garage was wrecked and went to bed.....

BTW, he's Kevin Kuzio, aka Kevin Kazoo.

Good-hearted guy- the trick was to watch his elbows, that's where the pattern was, not the hands. :thumbdown:

I honestly do NOT remember that dude! Wow...talk about a terminal brain fart?!?!?!

I even looked at the picture a second time to verify that I was in it as well?!?!?!

Ben, no Carlisle kids in 89. Some CV, a bunch of Crest.... Oh and Clark was a Carlisle grad, but he was class of 83 I think.

Dan and John set out by recruiting people they knew or were told about. We were never chops fiends, we worked hard, and were taught to work smart. In 90 a few Carlisle kids came in, but so did kids from Red Land, upper dauphin and others. By 96, all but maybe 4 people hadn't been in the corps or taught by those of us in it. We all taught the same way. Going to ACCs was a riot: you could tell the lines from Chapter 6 by sound.

Yeah, I knew Clark from back when I taught there (moonies ago obviously)

But truthfully, I had not seen a DCA show since 88 until prelims that one year, and never saw one since. I can count the shows I've seen since 1988 on one hand, and four of them are DCI shows!

DCA is a huge step up in quality, tho show design isn't what it used to be

DCA is a huge step up in quality, tho show design isn't what it used to be

Well you'd sort of hope it evolved...I got to see some evolution from '77-'88, I can only imagine....I wish DCI would "de-volve" a little....the shows are pretty wild, but it's like seeing 25 corps in the style of 1984 Cadets to the nth degree (with amps!)

I really think they should bring back marching timpani! :thumbdown:

Well you'd sort of hope it evolved...I got to see some evolution from '77-'88, I can only imagine....I wish DCI would "de-volve" a little....the shows are pretty wild, but it's like seeing 25 corps in the style of 1984 Cadets to the nth degree (with amps!)

I really think they should bring back marching timpani! :thumbdown:

You shoulda seen Cascades a few years back with two tymp playforms on wheels being shoved around by several guard girls each while they were played at opposite sides of the field.

I'll elaborate on THAT freakin' train wreck later. Wagon needs plugged in at Wolfe's.

You shoulda seen Cascades a few years back with two tymp playforms on wheels being shoved around by several guard girls each while they were played at opposite sides of the field.

I'll elaborate on THAT freakin' train wreck later. Wagon needs plugged in at Wolfe's.

I guess you gotta have a gimmick anymore.... I wasn't as annoyed at the amplification part as I thought I would be, but it's definitely something that doesn't belong...The pits have evolved to a point where you don't even need a "leg line" anymore...is there any rule that prohibits corps from not having a marching percussion section and only a pit? (God I hope so!)

btw....we done with the 1981 talk yet? Not sure what else we can add....

(Jeff, you getting this all down for the book you're writing? :thumbdown: )