The history of the Westshoremen

Hey Ben, was that the solo with Billy Joels "The Entertainer" in it? I remember standing by some drummers in 84 or 85 listening to a WSM recording and heard:

New guy: "Wow, that sounds great"

Older guy: "Yeah, what it 2 weeks before DCA we finally got it to work?"

2nd older guy: "Think so, we were just glad everyone played together for all the ####### changes".

Yep! I forget what it was supposed to be originally...I DO know that Robb was into some pretty weird and eclectic music, and that Rizooli, which was the solo the year before, was by a group called the Diga Rhythm Band, which was a project that one of the drummers from the Grateful Dead put together with some "world" percussionists. But the Entertainer was something that Billy thought fit into what we had, and they expanded upon that a little bit to make it work.

Steve, two time Bruni Award people aren't ringchasers. The Brothers aren't ringchasers. I'd get snarly with anyone who would tell me they were, get downright Senior Corps rude with them. :devil:

One of the individuals I mentioned has the musical talent to fill about 1 percent of a pinky thimble. The other was a woodwind crossover who'd never performed on a brass instrument until they did with us. 'Adequate' would be a way to describe this individual on-field, and as a rookie, should have LISTENED to a five year veteran about trying to march inside the &*@^$&*^ing form!

The third person actually came from a top-end DCI corps. But, they were clearly NOT a team player. That individual just did things to make bus rides hell, and my guess also sowed dissent throughout the color guard all season is my educated guess. I'm suprised someone from the guard just didn't unload and break their jaw at one point for the smack they used to talk about other people in the guard- GOOD, TALENTED, DECENT people who did NOT deserve the kind of criticism and rotten talk they used to deal out about others. I'm trying to keep names and ID's on these individuals nebulous, Those who were around know who I mean, but I really don't want to totally call them out in a public forum. Some have tried to defend two of these individuals to me in conversations with "Oh, they were there because they love the activity", and I told these people they didn't really know these two clowns that they did indefensible things to others and were there to draw attention to themselves and cause drama. Outwardly, they may SEEM like okay people, when you watched them in action off the field and how they treated others and their drama machines, not good.

A team player does not mean that you don't lead quietly by example, which the Brothers did. It does not mean that you didn't lead musically by setting up groove, pulse, drive, and musicality, which the Brothers DID. Driving an ensemble is REAL leadership. Period! I see this all the time when I judge, or the lack of it, and call out those who do for special recognition, because it's deserved.

There are many ways to lead in a corps, both silently and overtly. You and the Brothers lead, whether you knew it or not. :worthy:

Yep! I forget what it was supposed to be originally...I DO know that Robb was into some pretty weird and eclectic music, and that Rizooli, which was the solo the year before, was by a group called the Diga Rhythm Band, which was a project that one of the drummers from the Grateful Dead put together with some "world" percussionists. But the Entertainer was something that Billy thought fit into what we had, and they expanded upon that a little bit to make it work.

I still remember dad yelling for the tenors at prelims

Steve, two time Bruni Award people aren't ringchasers. The Brothers aren't ringchasers. I'd get snarly with anyone who would tell me they were, get downright Senior Corps rude with them. :devil:

One of the individuals I mentioned has the musical talent to fill about 1 percent of a pinky thimble. The other was a woodwind crossover who'd never performed on a brass instrument until they did with us. 'Adequate' would be a way to describe this individual on-field, and as a rookie, should have LISTENED to a five year veteran about trying to march inside the &*@^$&*^ing form!

The third person actually came from a top-end DCI corps. But, they were clearly NOT a team player. That individual just did things to make bus rides hell, and my guess also sowed dissent throughout the color guard all season is my educated guess. I'm suprised someone from the guard just didn't unload and break their jaw at one point for the smack they used to talk about other people in the guard- GOOD, TALENTED, DECENT people who did NOT deserve the kind of criticism and rotten talk they used to deal out about others. I'm trying to keep names and ID's on these individuals nebulous, Those who were around know who I mean, but I really don't want to totally call them out in a public forum. Some have tried to defend two of these individuals to me in conversations with "Oh, they were there because they love the activity", and I told these people they didn't really know these two clowns that they did indefensible things to others and were there to draw attention to themselves and cause drama. Outwardly, they may SEEM like okay people, when you watched them in action off the field and how they treated others and their drama machines, not good.

A team player does not mean that you don't lead quietly by example, which the Brothers did. It does not mean that you didn't lead musically by setting up groove, pulse, drive, and musicality, which the Brothers DID. Driving an ensemble is REAL leadership. Period! I see this all the time when I judge, or the lack of it, and call out those who do for special recognition, because it's deserved.

There are many ways to lead in a corps, both silently and overtly. You and the Brothers lead, whether you knew it or not. :worthy:

Of the people that I knew as ring chasers one followed the other, this person is ALWAYS around, and is annoying! In fact even my wife picked up on it when this person was observed at a Forum show (or two) You could put this person's picture in the dictionary next to the words "Ring Chaser" and be correct! Another fun fact was this person showed up at an early 1985 rehearsal in Reading and was promptly told "you are not welcome here, no you're not trying out" and Reading is a staunch supporter of giving alumni an advantage.

I can't really speak for anyone horn wise since I wasn't there for any of that, and never knew who was what except for my circle off brass friends, and what I heard from some of them. (and in one members case, nothing was ever good about anyone, no matter WHAT their talent level :blink:)

I have to admit I was surprised when I saw Sandy and crew the one year at prelims, I didn't know they joined, but knew that they weren't riding anyone's coattails, and that SCA was probably either defunct (in a Rochester Crusader/Empire Statesman sort off way), or non existent. No slouches in that crew!!! :worthy:

I still remember dad yelling for the tenors at prelims

We were the "anomaly" of that drumline...we were almost like the tympani line in 1980..we did our own thing, and had a blast doing it! :tongue:

I've said before, that was one of the most fun sections I EVER played in!! 82's line was pretty wicked as well, but 83's was off the charts! :devil:

Hell yeah they did.

Steve think about this...you came in in 91...a crap year. 92, tons of talent, bad design. 93...what were you guys gonna do with Yanni???

But you weren't a ring chaser.

Go listen to any of the alumni recordings where we play stuff from any of the years you allw ere in...and you aren't on stage with us.

now go listen to the originals.

there is a HUGE difference, and that's because of you guys. you guys WERE the groove, the feel, the soul, the heartbeat. None of 95-97 works without Awesome Alley. You led the way in groove, you guys were also good at something very under spoken of...loosening Dan up. We could be out there doing percussion ensemble, getting our ##### kicked, you guys cracka joke or 2,and boom...Dan chilled, and it was less ### kicking. Never Underestimate what any of you brought to the corps, and none of you will EVER be considered ring chasers by those of us there at the time.

There 3-4 people, and not in the percussion section. We'll talk

We were the "anomaly" of that drumline...we were almost like the tympani line in 1980..we did our own thing, and had a blast doing it! :tongue:

I've said before, that was one of the most fun sections I EVER played in!! 82's line was pretty wicked as well, but 83's was off the charts! :devil:

I wish you had been there in 96 when Dan, Hoov and Kominsky reunited in Cumberland to do the 83 solo on 5 drums.

I wish you had been there in 96 when Dan, Hoov and Kominsky reunited in Cumberland to do the 83 solo on 5 drums.

:doh:

I didn't come up with the term "Chumley Drums" for no good reason. :thumbup::worthy:

I have to go see Harrisburg PD on the trail of my stuff. Seems this goober was arrested for a DUI in his clunker, which I helped him get running, and also warned him he needed to get it inspected... (Boom is laughing because I did sound like Dad when I told him) well he evidently got busted for DUI, no insurance, no registration, no drivers liscence. My guess is his crappy Saturn's impounded and I'll ask if they found stolen property in it.

The most recent tote sheet on this guy:

1 stolen electric buggy from the New Cumberland Giant

50 pounds of meat and poultry from the Camp Hill Giant in several raids, using a Taxi as his getaway car.

Stealing 225+ buxx of stuff from me

Check fraud/forgery

Stolen Credit card from another tenant in my building.

Lemme tell you- A lot of this is petty, but it does add up, and I hope they keep him in the freakin hoosegow and not take pity on him this time. The Forgery can get him up to 10 years in jail or as little as probation. Regardless of whether this guy has to use a cane and limps-- regardless of whether the crimes are non-violent, he's rackin' them up! At least they've had him in Cumberland County jail since the 16thish. And they need to KEEP him there! :tongue:

You guys got to corner me after practice or whever we hang out after, I'll fill you all in on this stuff, crazy, surreal, frustrating, and entertaining all at once!