Basics to starting/running a drum and bugle corps

Right. That's why DCI put their book together. I saw the 2002 version, and it really does hold you by the hand and take you through the whole process, and while it's not state-specific for every location, it does tell you what questions to ask and generally where to ask them.

The only thing I think DCI doesn't do well about it (Bob!!!!) is advertise that it exists. Honestly, I don't even mind them charging for it - it's a valuable resource, and honestly, that does kind of weed out the "corps-in-my-mind" folks. But I consider myself a pretty plugged-in DCI fan, and even I didn't know it existed until a current director told me it did. That might be one area where an additional page on the website - or even a contact person - would be useful, I think. :laugh:

Mike

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"- or even a contact person - would be useful, I think. "

Kinda like a new corps liason/coordinator.

Whenever a prospective corps contacts the DCI office, they are immediately directed to someone who can help guide them to the start of the road which will eventually lead to the prospective corps entering the "Drum Corps International Participation Review" process. The reference manual is but one of the numerous resources offered to start-up groups.

In the near future, it will be easier than ever to obtain information on starting a corps in your area. Stay tuned to DCI.org and the pages of DCP for additional information.

Right. That's why DCI put their book together. I saw the 2002 version, and it really does hold you by the hand and take you through the whole process, and while it's not state-specific for every location, it does tell you what questions to ask and generally where to ask them.

The only thing I think DCI doesn't do well about it (Bob!!!!) is advertise that it exists. Honestly, I don't even mind them charging for it - it's a valuable resource, and honestly, that does kind of weed out the "corps-in-my-mind" folks. But I consider myself a pretty plugged-in DCI fan, and even I didn't know it existed until a current director told me it did. That might be one area where an additional page on the website - or even a contact person - would be useful, I think. :laugh:

Mike

It would be like a "Drum Coprs for Dummies" book. And I think it should be made available to everyone, even if they're just thinking about it. Once they start reading it and see how hard it would be to start up and run a drum corps, then they can decide, for sure, if they really want to do it or not.

Bill Cook is a great man. He knew what it took to run an automatically competitive drum corps back in the late 80s and 90s.

While in the end it is always about money, running a corps today is different than back than, and honestly, are you really thinking about going World Class out of the gate? It's illegal to do anyway. Start a parade corps and help get a local corps circuit in your area. Once you have that, you begin to see corps repopulate, and the costs are dramatically lower. Have hand sewn uniforms like the old days and for shows, make it an all day thing. Have a parade, invite up colonial williamsburg's fife and drum corps, have carnival rides next to the stadium, and make the drum corps show the big event. Charge $5 for backfield seats not used for people just curious about it.

New fans, a solid corps, and a foundation for the future.

Whenever a prospective corps contacts the DCI office, they are immediately directed to someone who can help guide them to the start of the road which will eventually lead to the prospective corps entering the "Drum Corps International Participation Review" process. The reference manual is but one of the numerous resources offered to start-up groups.

In the near future, it will be easier than ever to obtain information on starting a corps in your area. Stay tuned to DCI.org and the pages of DCP for additional information.

Just 'cause it's a question we've bandied about on here before, if you've got the time and inclination - what other kinds of resources does DCI offer groups looking to start up?

Mike

I think what many people have done including Bob with providing information for new groups is fantastic. This should have been something that was in place years ago. I also think it would be a solid investment for DCI to provide this material free of charge as a longterm investment for the activity.

Those that think starting a parade corps that will one day become a competitive drum corps are a bit out of touch with todays high school and college band students or kids needs in general today. Kids have choices and will take full advantage of this. There isn't a drum corps in the country that doesn't need members in June.

My only other concern would be the follow up and those that are reviewing the process. Are they really the right people to suggest to the Board who gets in and who doesn't, who moves up and who doesn't? Are the very people being given this information the right people to make this decision or should it be a private firm do the audit and have the cost of private firm be applied to the group requesting the audit? Should all active drum corps have a random audit every three years? At least your review won't be bias.

jvn

Just 'cause it's a question we've bandied about on here before, if you've got the time and inclination - what other kinds of resources does DCI offer groups looking to start up?

Mike

Mike:

The level of support provided to the corps is based largely on the needs/desires/situation of the corps applying for membership. Believe it or not, it has been my personal experience over the years that more than a few start-up groups feel that they "already have it all figured out," and are focused on things like how they can bypass the Open Class and evaluation process and jump directly in the deep end of the pool with World Class competition in year one of their existence. In other words, they don't really want to discuss "the boring stuff" like forming a corporation, raising money, getting liability insurance, raising money, recruiting a board of directors, recruiting corps members, raising money, establishing community roots, building–maintaining–motivating–retaining a volunteer base and infrastructure, etc.

Besides the physical resources (such as the reference manual and other "best practices" documents, etc.), there are additional resources such as printed materials to use in corporate solicitation and as leave-behind literature when speaking with school administrators, band directors and generally uninitiated folks; there are video products such as the superb multi-purpose "sizzle reel" to explain the activity in a nutshell, a copy of which is located at www.dci.org/about, professionally printed presentation folders and other collateral materials and supplies, etc.

Possibly the most valuable resource, however, is the formal and informal mentoring which takes place between the DCI office (including Dave Eddleman, the Open Class Coordinator) along with other corps managers, and the group seeking eventual membership. Once the new group has reached out to the DCI office, representatives are invited to attend meetings far in advance of their unit's initial appearance on the field of competition, and are given an opportunity to meet their colleagues who in most cases have already traveled the road of building a new program. There are numerous opportunities for direct contact, unfiltered questions and answers, and a wealth of information-sharing... all for the price of little more than an airline ticket or a day's drive, and a hotel room.

There are many examples of well-intentioned, passionate folks attempting to start corps and focusing on the competitive success of their groups on the field, without giving a proportionate amount of thought and attention to the fact that they are, in fact, starting a demanding company which needs a well-defined, rational and realistic business plan and a pretty serious amount of due diligence in order to have a shot at success.

I would expect that there will be even more attention paid to the needs of start-up groups in coming months, and additional resources are currently in development to this end. Stay tuned for additional information.

Hope that provides a little insight.

All my best,

Bob

Edited by bobjacobs

There are many examples of well-intentioned, passionate folks attempting to start corps and focusing on the competitive success of their groups on the field, without giving a proportionate amount of thought and attention to the fact that they are, in fact, starting a demanding company which needs a well-defined, rational and realistic business plan and a pretty serious amount of due diligence in order to have a shot at success.

I would agree with that, but to the end that new corps bring in a new point of view and thus a look of things from outside the box. In every company or major corporation, looking outside of the box to achievable and marketable ways of doing things, is seen as the holy grail of leadership and visionary quality. So let it be for new corps. Give them a list of problems and ask for creative solutions. Give them a history of the activity, the present nature, and all the in-between. Let it absorb and see what can be new and what can be brought to polish.

These next questions are directed toward everyone:

Give them a stepping stone, where they dont have to be a million dollar company to start, like GSC or PennAtlantic. Impossible to do, or a failure in marketing strategy on the individual corps and who they recruit to? And, while we are on the subject, when has a corps last played a great arrangement of a pop or rock song? Impossible, I beg to differ. Good arrangers can turn a lemon into iced tea.