Madison Announces 2010 Program

Those who succeed, do it by doing things their way without apologies. Don't follow the trends if you want to leave a legacy; I'm sure Jim Mason is better acquainted with this fact than about anyone.

This is a very interesting comment. My philosphy is to always leave room in the plan for the possiblilty of an apology. Followed immediately by a rapid repentance and then off into a better direction. Interesting. But, I believe you and I would agree on this. Fail if you must. But, fail gloriously.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have My Controls > Options (in the menu on the left hand side) > Manage Ignored Users.

Too bad for me. I always appreciated your posts.

Oh, come on! I even used a smiley this time!

I can't wait to hear how this design team treats these two great Madison classics.

For those of you who are on the fence about this show, here's an assignment for you. First, dust off your DCI media from 1988 (original vinyl, CDs, DVDs, iPod, Fan Network, whatever) and take a listen to the last time that [basically] this design team worked with Gershwin. The first time I heard Star of Indiana 1988, I thought DCI had switched Star and Spirit of Atlanta on the records; Porgy and Bess sounded [in all the best ways] like a vintage Spirit show to me.

Then, go find a complete recording of the original Slaughter on 10th Avenue. It's around 18 minutes long, and there's definitely some worthwhile stuff in the original that hasn't been worn out yet on the field; same with Rhapsody in Blue.

There's all sorts of ways that I can imagine that this show can be both "classic" and "new", and if I can imagine them, I'm sure this design team will find something special.

Somebody (I think a DCWorld writer) said something like that 88' hornline was the loudest in history. I can't wait to hear more jazz from Jimmer.

Oh, come on! I even used a smiley this time!

Oops. I guess I forgot to put a smiley face on my post. And so people are clear about my comments regarding spats. I really believe it would be the ultimate in gutsy moves for Madison. However, I stand by my comments regarding the current judging community and their possible reaction to the move.

Somebody (I think a DCWorld writer) said something like that 88' hornline was the loudest in history. I can't wait to hear more jazz from Jimmer.

I doubt they were even the loudest that year.

not that that matters much its not 1972 anymore.

Jimmers best work seems to be as a purist to the original scores.

will that will work with used material ? in 2010 ?

He usually comes through.

WOWOW!!!!

Again, please stay on topic, and PM a FST member with any issues regarding moderation.

This is a very interesting comment. My philosphy is to always leave room in the plan for the possiblilty of an apology. Followed immediately by a rapid repentance and then off into a better direction. Interesting. But, I believe you and I would agree on this. Fail if you must. But, fail gloriously.

Just looking at the history of drum corps, it's always the corps that go their own direction hard and without apology that succeed and set the trends. Personally I'm glad to see a show that is at once familiar but also full of possibilities for creative design. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

As an alum. , a Dad of a current Madison Scout, a vol. that has driven over 25,000 miles in the past 3 years, and a guy that bleeds Green, I could not be more excited about everything this is going on with the MADISON SCOUTS !!!!!

My thanks to Chris K. and Jeff M. You 2 Men are , "The Men of Madison " !!!!!

Head Green Kool-Aid Drinker,

Bill Leslie

Edited by Bill L.

...Just looking at the history of drum corps, it's always the corps that go their own direction hard and without apology that succeed and set the trends...

The same can be said for failures. Pointing hard in one direction itself isn't the prerequisite for success. You still have to have the right idea, the right support and the right execution. Not saying that's not the case for Madison this year. But Madison in the recent past has realized the negative effects of such thinking too.

HH