because as SCV and Cadets proved last year, sometimes old is new again

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:whistle:

the design team has chosen to re hash Music from 35 years ago

how is that pushing the activity ?

The NEW Scout staff has indeed succeeded with Ye OLD drum corps music and went so far as to even win a recent "TONY" Award for it's ability to push out of the drum corps BOX with their production of "Blast."

This push out of the box went so far that the American Theatre group nominated the team for more then one TONY award.

------> The Tony Awards are considered the highest U.S. theatre honor, the U.S. theatre industry's equivalent to the Academy Awards (Oscars) for motion pictures.

Now the only way you can take away the marked achievements of the pre established Madison Scouts team along with it's use of so called "re hashed" drum corps music is to...... Well I guess YOU can't.

Many of the designers are still involved in the activity AND DOING VERY WELL at that

Or you may let jealousy, for the wise designers, get the best of you... In that case. No matter what they do YOU will indeed find fault because thats what you, the viewer, choose to see.

I say, since the team itself has set their own goal to push the Scouts into the future..... I take them at their word, only based on the facts that they said it once before, and DID IT. They just made the same claim in Drum Corps World today... And I believe them. Yes, you can choose not to. However, I hope you don't bury your head in your Home Team and forget to see that there are 21 plus, other shows out there in 2010, who all may have something special to offer but your blinders will keep you from taking in the art of drum corps... I have to deduced, this may be the case, since I've read oh so many of your crossmen posts as well as all the posts you make in the Madison Scout threads.

With this attitude, you may loose sight of the thrill of the activity...... at any score or placement.

D.M.

Edited by Cop

because as SCV and Cadets proved last year, sometimes old is new again

Exactly, it's not always what you do, it's how you do it.

The NEW Scout staff has indeed succeeded with Ye OLD drum corps music and went so far as to even win recent "TONY" Award for it's production of Blast...

------> The Tony Awards are considered the highest U.S. theatre honor, the U.S. theatre industry's equivalent to the Academy Awards (Oscars) for motion pictures.

Now the only way you can take away the marked achievements of the pre established Madison Scouts team along with it's use of so called "re hashed" drum corps music is to...... Well I guess YOU can't.

(jealousy is not your best color)

How does rehashing music from 35 years ago push the activity?

that does not answer the question. That was BLAST , and THAT was almost 10 years ago.

( blind faith is not your best color)

I'm thinking the exact same thing.... Seems like these people selected to design the Scouts show will be the ones to push the activity at the same time... Push drum corps international, in a new direction..

imho

Agree, and said as much a few weeks back when the staff was announced.

My hopes and to a certain extent expectations for Madison are not that they just get better and finish top 12 again. I think bringing on Mason and all the folks with Star and Blast! ties means that like those organizations they are bent on bringing something new and maybe revolutionary to the activity. This is nothing if not a very bold stroke by Komnick and the MDBCA. Theres no guarantee that they will be successful but they have definitely rolled the dice on this. ... This is not a Salas/Cesario appeasement move (and I mean no disrespect to those two) this I think is going to be a game changer, not unlike Bridgemen and Star of Indiana were. This will not be your fathers Madison Scouts.

. . . and the Crossmen cribbed from Medea and The Planets in recent years, which haven't "pushed" the activity.

What's your point?

Slaughter and Rhapsody are big, theatrical pieces that the Scouts can take advantage of visually, and especially within the realm of the color guard book. I'm fairly certain that there will be a heavy electronics element to both pieces, but both also offer much in the way of big, loud hits that both old school and new school fans will probably dig, considering who the brass arranger is.

While it might be 35 years previous, there's enough thematic material there to put together a show that reinterprets the pieces in a unique way, IMO.

. . . and the Crossmen cribbed from Medea and The Planets in recent years, which haven't "pushed" the activity.

What's your point?

Slaughter and Rhapsody are big, theatrical pieces that the Scouts can take advantage of visually, and especially within the realm of the color guard book. I'm fairly certain that there will be a heavy electronics element to both pieces, but both also offer much in the way of big, loud hits that both old school and new school fans will probably dig, considering who the brass arranger is.

While it might be 35 years previous, there's enough thematic material there to put together a show that reinterprets the pieces in a unique way, IMO.

Never mentioned another corps in this topic.

just asking a question .

put since you opened it . OK.

I wish Crossmen did NOT try and push the envelope on the planets ( which worked ) and Medea ( which did not ).

I love the original pieces and wish they stayed true to them.

Taking a familiar piece and changing it to push the envelope or make it your own or trying something different with it is always a crap shoot.

IMO

THAT'S IT! ONLY ORIGIONAL CHARTS WRITTEN FOR DRUM CORPS WILL BE PERMITTED FROM NOW ON. NO PREVIOUSLY USED MUSIC ALLOWED. BY ANYONE!

Well that would be pretty dumb wouldn't it?

If one just wants to bag on the Scouts, one should just do so, and not pretend to make sense.

(BTW, I for one really liked the Cavies origional charts)

Edited by Roark1

Plenty of groups re-do tunes. I don't think it's going to be particularly groundbreaking or innovative. I, for one, am interested to hear what this staff has to offer these tunes. It will, at the very least, be well designed, cohesive and entertaining. Something Madison has struggled with for quite some time.

that does not answer the question. That was BLAST , and THAT was almost 10 years ago.

( blind faith is not your best color)

how does playing on synths push the activity? how do amps push the activity? how does sitting on chairs push the activity? how does marching at 240bpm push the activity? how does playing new music with no discernible melody push the activity? how does pushing 10k notes on a snare drum during a ballad push the activity?

It's about child education and crowd enjoyment...frankly, a decent portion of the audience have not been entertained much lately, because no one has been playing what that portion of the audience wants to hear...

Either way you go, it's a sword's edge. If you play more "older-rehashed" music, you threaten to disenfranchise the "new" drum corps fan. If you play the newer, non-melodic transitional music with synths and electronics, you disenfranchise the "old" drum corps fan. One thing you probably need to remember...the legacy fans donate a whole crap-ton more money to corps than the "new" drum corps fan does.