Why the Blue Devils should've scored higher than 99.05

No, I'm actually not. Thats great that its judged, by why can't it be judged from the stands? It will never make sense to me. If shows are made to be presented to an audience, why should they not be judged from that perspective?

I'm with the SynthLine on this one. In the first place, judges running around the field detracts from the fans' experience. (If they actually got knocked over more often, I might reconsider.) Second, why judge from the field perspective at all? Without regard to how this came to be, it no longer feels relevant. Why not judge rehearsals too? Or from the backfield? Why not judge the guard from the field? Or the pit? The stands are where the performance lives, so that's where it should be judged.

This one feels more in league with inspections - something with a purpose that's passed.

HH

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the Cadets had demand...but at times it seemed like running for the sake of running. While not a fan of BD's show, they offered a wide variety of skills, as opposed to say Cadets who offered a lot of the same skills. When you offer more variety, and perform them all very well....as BD did.....then you will get the higher number.

derived achivement folks. You dont get credit just for trying...you have to achieve to get the full maximum credit, and visually, BD got the credit for trying, as well as achieved it.

and this is from someone who was bored to tears during BD's show, but could appreciate the talent on display.

it's just like the old drummers argument......is more notes all the time, or d you pick your spots, show a wider variety of skill sets, and master them all?

well....if you offer more and master them all, you win. same thing with visual

I'm with the SynthLine on this one. In the first place, judges running around the field detracts from the fans' experience. (If they actually got knocked over more often, I might reconsider.) Second, why judge from the field perspective at all? Without regard to how this came to be, it no longer feels relevant. Why not judge rehearsals too? Or from the backfield? Why not judge the guard from the field? Or the pit? The stands are where the performance lives, so that's where it should be judged.

This one feels more in league with inspections - something with a purpose that's passed.

HH

right, because especially in domes, you can always tell individual issues from upstairs musically ( sarcasm off)

right, because especially in domes, you can always tell individual issues from upstairs musically ( sarcasm off)

Maybe in the sarcasm I'm missing your intent. Becuase it's the corps that we're judging, not the individuals who comprise it, isn't it? All the reason more not to have field judges.

HH

Remember that DCI is still a youth activity focused on education, whether we like it or not as the butts in the seats. Field judges are helpful (most times) at pointing out individual differences in approach, sound, technique, etc....things you will not hear from the stands. There are a ton of things that go on during a performance on the field that most people in the audience will never catch on to. I mean, honestly, how many audience members have well trained ears? Probably less than an eighth. This is where field judges are necessary.

Brian, I'm with you on Crown's hornline. Do I think they deserved a 20? Nah. Did they deserve to score higher? Possibly a tenth or 2 but nothing more. I'm with you when you talk about BD's visual program and demand of the show. However, I really don't think they should have even been in the 99 range in the first place. And this is mainly from an effect standpoint. Sure, BD always executes the #### out of their program. But in my eyes, the actual program musically, was bogus.

The 2009 HNC show was the most demanind of all time:

-220+ pages of Sacktig's drill...

-The characteristically dense book by the Hall-of-Famer Mr. Bocook...

-The complications of McNutt and Moyer's chop busting percussion parts... An ensemble's nightmare...

-Lagola and Roberts' impossible guard expectations...

The hardest show ever, period...

Holy Name Haters, come out and plaaaaaay...

Pure BS

The 2009 HNC show was the most demanind of all time:

-220+ pages of Sacktig's drill...

-The characteristically dense book by the Hall-of-Famer Mr. Bocook...

-The complications of McNutt and Moyer's chop busting percussion parts... An ensemble's nightmare...

-Lagola and Roberts' impossible guard expectations...

The hardest show ever, period...

Holy Name Haters, come out and plaaaaaay...

I don't think you'll find more than a handful of people arguing with on this (well, actually, now that I see you're claiming it was the hardest show ever, I'd have to disagree. . . of 2009? sure. ever? no.)

However. Difficulty does not equal effect, and that show was not effective. People were bored to tears during BD's show? Cadets bored me to tears. It was weird, because I sat there inside LOS stadium, knowing that I should have been impressed by what was going on on the field, but it really just wasn't being sold very well and I spent half the show looking at the inside of the stadium because what was going on on the field was so un-engaging.

Edited by TSRTS13

Maybe in the sarcasm I'm missing your intent. Becuase it's the corps that we're judging, not the individuals who comprise it, isn't it? All the reason more not to have field judges.

HH

right...but individual errors can lead to bigger issues...and if you have someone on the field who can diagnose those issues and offer good feedback on how to correct it, it can help not just the field, but upstairs as well.

and trust me, in a dome, percussion errors are not going to be caught upstairs.

Remember that DCI is still a youth activity focused on education, whether we like it or not as the butts in the seats. Field judges are helpful (most times) at pointing out individual differences in approach, sound, technique, etc....things you will not hear from the stands. There are a ton of things that go on during a performance on the field that most people in the audience will never catch on to. I mean, honestly, how many audience members have well trained ears? Probably less than an eighth. This is where field judges are necessary.

:whistle::devil: