Why the Blue Devils should've scored higher than 99.05

There is no way that Carolina Crown's brass performance was a 19.6. I'm not saying BD was better than Crown, quite the opposite in fact. If ever a show has deserved a perfect 20 in brass, it was Crown this year. Granted, I wasn't down on the field, so I don't really know what individual issues there were going on, but to me it seems like Jeff Harper was playing the numbers game and gave them a 19.6 so he wouldn't be pigeonholed into giving BD a perfect 20 if they performed better than Crown that night (which is pretty much what happened when BD got a perfect 20 at quarters in 2004). I'm sorry, but this Crown hornline blows that Devils one (2004) out of the water from start to finish. I haven't heard a hornline sound that good in person, and judging from CDs/DVDs I think the only corps that might give them a run for their money are the early 90s Star hornlines and a couple of BD shows from the mid-90s (94, 99 come to mind), and maybe, in terms of balance and blend, Cavaliers '02 (but they certainly didn't bring the volume Crown did this year). In a realistic world, Crown scores a 19.8 on finals night (or 19.9), BD gets a 19.6 or 19.7, ends up with a total music score of 29.55 and beats the Cavaliers score from '02 and Cadets from '05 by a tenth.

And don't even get me started on BD's visual scores. How they got less than a perfect 20 in field visual on finals night is beyond me. I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a display of technique like that on a football field, and I consider myself somewhat of a technique guru. You idiots can yap all you want about their lack of demand - which is pure and utter bull****, btw. . . Crown and BD were comparable this year. Cadets blew them both out of the water, but since when is that anything new? - but there was clearly no corps that held a candle to the visual clinic BD put on Saturday night in Indianapolis. I've spoken with several other people whose opinion of marching technique I respect, and they all pretty much agree. No one ever moves like the Blue Devils, but I think this is one of the best marching BD corps since maybe 2003 or 2001.

[/rant]

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way that Carolina Crown's brass performance was a 19.6. I'm not saying BD was better than Crown, quite the opposite in fact. If ever a show has deserved a perfect 20 in brass, it was Crown this year. Granted, I wasn't down on the field, so I don't really know what individual issues there were going on, but to me it seems like Jeff Harper was playing the numbers game and gave them a 19.6 so he wouldn't be pigeonholed into giving BD a perfect 20 if they performed better than Crown that night (which is pretty much what happened when BD got a perfect 20 at quarters in 2004). I'm sorry, but this Crown hornline blows that Devils one (2004) out of the water from start to finish. I haven't heard a hornline sound that good in person, and judging from CDs/DVDs I think the only corps that might give them a run for their money are the early 90s Star hornlines and a couple of BD shows from the mid-90s (94, 99 come to mind), and maybe, in terms of balance and blend, Cavaliers '02 (but they certainly didn't bring the volume Crown did this year). In a realisitc world, Crown scores a 19.8 on finals night (or 19.9), BD gets a 19.6 or 19.7, ends up with a total music score of 29.55 and beats the Cavaliers score from '02 and Cadets from '05 by a tenth.

And don't even get me started on BD's visual scores. How they got less than a perfect 20 in field visual on finals night is beyond me. I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a display of technique like that on a football field, and I consider myself somewhat of a technique guru. You idiots can yap all you want about their lack of demand - which is pure and utter bull****, btw. . . Crown and BD were comparable this year. Cadets blew them both out of the water, but since when is that anything new? - but there was clearly no corps that held a candle to the visual clinic BD put on Saturday night in Indianapolis. I've spoken with several other people whose opinion of marching technique I respect, and they all pretty much agree. No one ever moves like the Blue Devils, but I think this is one of the best marching BD corps since maybe 2003 or 2001.

[/rant]

Agree, on all counts....except maybe when you said Cadets had more demand than Crown/BD. Running around the entire show does not equal demand.

Agree, on all counts....except maybe when you said Cadets had more demand than Crown/BD. Running around the entire show does not equal demand.

Ha... yes it does... especially when they step out most of it.

in reference to Cadet's demand.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

you know.... I thought they sounded great... but not phenominal (crown) there were definitely times where the high brass especially sounded spotty to me. Their overall sound was great though, and deserved the Ott

No drum corps sounds phenominal. That word is really reserved for professional orchestral groups. But compared to every single other group out there, Crown's hornline was above and beyond what anyone else put out.

Oh, I can see visual demand with the Cadets. But Crown's horn book was much harder than theirs.

No drum corps sounds phenominal. That word is really reserved for professional orchestral groups. But compared to every single other group out there, Crown's hornline was above and beyond what anyone else put out.

Oh, I can see visual demand with the Cadets. But Crown's horn book was much harder than theirs.

i meant phenominal in the drum corps sense :whistle:

I'll disclaim now I was not at finals and I do not know everything.

That being said what I saw at quarters in theatres, semis online, several live webcasts, and in person I loved Crown's sound, way more than any other corps this year.

I don't think demand changed at all from semis to finals so I can comment on that and I agree with you that Crown fans that say BD's show was easy don't have much room to talk especially when compared to HNC.

As for execution itself I won't comment on it because I wasn't there and I don't know what it sounded/looked like, I'll wait until I see it.

There is no way that Carolina Crown's brass performance was a 19.6. I'm not saying BD was better than Crown, quite the opposite in fact. If ever a show has deserved a perfect 20 in brass, it was Crown this year. Granted, I wasn't down on the field, so I don't really know what individual issues there were going on, but to me it seems like Jeff Harper was playing the numbers game and gave them a 19.6 so he wouldn't be pigeonholed into giving BD a perfect 20 if they performed better than Crown that night (which is pretty much what happened when BD got a perfect 20 at quarters in 2004). I'm sorry, but this Crown hornline blows that Devils one (2004) out of the water from start to finish. I haven't heard a hornline sound that good in person, and judging from CDs/DVDs I think the only corps that might give them a run for their money are the early 90s Star hornlines and a couple of BD shows from the mid-90s (94, 99 come to mind), and maybe, in terms of balance and blend, Cavaliers '02 (but they certainly didn't bring the volume Crown did this year). In a realisitc world, Crown scores a 19.8 on finals night (or 19.9), BD gets a 19.6 or 19.7, ends up with a total music score of 29.55 and beats the Cavaliers score from '02 and Cadets from '05 by a tenth.

[/rant]

Just cause you rant with passion does not make it true. BD is good at what they do. But, Demanding drill is not it. ( I was supposed to refrain from BD discussion. 2009 season is long gone, History, A dead issue.)

Edited by boxingfred

Just cause you rant with passion does not make it true. BD is good at what they do. But, Demanding drill is not it. ( I was supposed to refrain from BD discussion. 2009 season is long gone, History, A dead issue.)

i'm wanting 2009 to fade into the distant past asap. not only for PR's epic failure that made me cringe, throw up, and feel sorry all at the same time, but for the blegh feeling i got from all the rest of the corps as well (save HNC of all things!). 2010 couldn't come any sooner.

and as for the OT, if BD would've scored any higher, i would've put down my drink, marched back into LOS, and #####-slapped several judges.