Why the Blue Devils should've scored higher than 99.05

The 2009 HNC show was the most demanind of all time:

-220+ pages of Sacktig's drill...

-The characteristically dense book by the Hall-of-Famer Mr. Bocook...

-The complications of McNutt and Moyer's chop busting percussion parts... An ensemble's nightmare...

-Lagola and Roberts' impossible guard expectations...

The hardest show ever, period...

Holy Name Haters, come out and plaaaaaay...

Lots of pages doesn't equal a hard show.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kind of related, I think we should ditch field judges all together. Why should they judge whats going on the field so closely, thats not what translates to the audience. The point is to perform to an audience, not a man 5 feet in front of you.

OK, then let's have figure skating judges judge via the TV monitor, not sitting down next to the ice, since that's how 99 percent of the audience watches figure skating. :whistle:

You knew EXACTLY what you were doing when you started this thread.

Anyway, I was at finals all three nights, had three different perspectives (as far as seating).I agree that on finals night, Crown had a great sound although their drill was still dirty, BD performed the #### out of their show and deserved the score they received, and Cadets were excellent but not absolutely excellent like they would have been had they not had that huge error. I'm very critical of Cadets of course and I wanted them to be absolutely excellent. Either way, the season ended the way it did because some corps brought their "A" game, and some did not. 2009 is over. Can't wait for 2010.

Sometimes you hit the nail on the head and sometimes you smash your thumb! Let's just say that you won't be needing the first aid kit for this one! :whistle:

-The complications of McNutt and Moyer's chop busting percussion parts... An ensemble's nightmare...

I love Jeffs drill writing, And he does write some wicked stuff. Jeff does challenge the marcher to perform at his/her highest level. The shows are very demanding.

But, The Hardest Show Ever? I don't know... Hardest show of 2009? OK.

Not BS... but thanks for the detailed and well thought out response...

Also... any more nominations for hardest show ever?

Whenever this topic comes up on DCP, Cadets 1997 is usually mentioned more than any other show.

Although Cadets 2009 may be in the running for the Cruella Deville Award for "most dots in a dot book", that does not constitute the "most demand". Cutting a tree down with a hand saw may look (from the laymen viewpoint) to be more difficult then brain surgery, but one requires a lot more movement, while the other requires a lot more precision and "no room for error"! :whistle:

There are some DCPers that will always get weepy when they see frenetic/kaleidoscopic drill just like they used to do (or wished they could do!). For them, that is the measure of difficult drum corps movement.....period! 2009 Blue Devils took difficultly to another level, one that it not so easily recognized (and nearly impossible from FN). But the judges (particularly the previously mentioned "judges on the field") got it...and that's why it was the 2nd highest score in DCI history.......period!

I dont know that they took it to a new level. I think what they did was combine several known levels into one and were able to master it.

I dont know that they took it to a new level. I think what they did was combine several known levels into one and were able to master it.

What you said! :whistle:

What you said! :whistle:

not bad for a guy you took to task for saying ( and still says) the show was boring eh?

:devil:

right...but individual errors can lead to bigger issues...and if you have someone on the field who can diagnose those issues and offer good feedback on how to correct it, it can help not just the field, but upstairs as well.

Now I understand. Good point - good enough that I might even have to reconsider my position now.

HH