Pioneer Announces 2010 Program

While 49th year in DCI may be incorrect, the corps has been competing since 1961 as the Imperials of Saint Patrick before merging with the Cedarburg Thunderbolts in 1973 (which actually had been around since 1953, I believe). After a year of competing as The Thing in 1973, the corps began being sponsored by the Pioneer Box and Container Company in 1974 and adopted the name "Pioneer" that same year. So you are partially correct: Pioneer itself has only been competing for 37 years as of 2010, but the organization has been around since 1961 (and before).

Back on topic, I'm really excited to hear about the program and listen to the music. I think this could be a great thing for the corps: getting away from the Irish music while keeping true to the corps heritage in using the corps prayer as the basis for the show. I really look forward to seeing what the corps can do this year!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I forgot about that TYPO about DCI...my bad! Roman reminded me of it after the fact.

Brian you are always welcome around the corps. Your years as drum major are always noticed. You did a great job as a corps leader!

Donny

Mr. Allen great song choices. This will be the Glassmen's 49th year also. Which means Pioneer and the Glassmen will be celebrating their 50th at the same time. Very cool indeed. Nothing but the best in 2010. The Glassmen played Swing Low in 89. Thank you so much for bringing it back onto the field in the JR ranks. :tongue::smile: Can not wait to hear your charts for the Pioneer 2010 show.

And Madison did "Make His Praise" in 1989, while Cavaliers did Rutter in 1989. So cheers to Pioneer and to 1989.

I'm really excited for Pioneer and look forward to experiencing the show!

While 49th year in DCI may be incorrect, the corps has been competing since 1961 as the Imperials of Saint Patrick before merging with the Cedarburg Thunderbolts in 1973 (which actually had been around since 1953, I believe). After a year of competing as The Thing in 1973, the corps began being sponsored by the Pioneer Box and Container Company in 1974 and adopted the name "Pioneer" that same year. So you are partially correct: Pioneer itself has only been competing for 37 years as of 2010, but the organization has been around since 1961 (and before).

Great memories of The Thing. Really fascinating drum corps history.

Go Pioneer!

And Madison did "Make His Praise" in 1989, while Cavaliers did Rutter in 1989. So cheers to Pioneer and to 1989.

I'm really excited for Pioneer and look forward to experiencing the show!

Gospel Irish In Your Face !!

Nice!

Pieces, for expediency:

Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Make His Praise Glorious (Sandy Patti)- FAR too long since this piece was heard in DCI :tongue:

The Prayer (Celine Dion)

Selections of Rutter/Holsinger

MHPG was played last year, by the Blue Stars, during the attack on Pearl Harbor section. Not the whole piece, but still.

interesting...I didnt realize that.

It is going to look "different"...