POST YOUR CORPS VETERANS

The RIDGEMEN from the parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn, New York:

Charlie Patrizio Viet Nam (KIA), Bobby McKenna, Tommy Mckenna, Billy Burns, Eddie Keys, Jimmy Rosenthal, Jack Deacy, Paul Adazibal, Billy Pokorney, Bobby Pokorney, Tommy Stuart, Richie Marino and all the Veterans who participated in the marching units from the Basilica of OLPH in WW1, WW2, KOREA and Viet Nam.

The RIDGEMEN from the parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn, New York:

Charlie Patrizio Viet Nam (KIA), Bobby McKenna, Tommy Mckenna, Billy Burns, Eddie Keys, Jimmy Rosenthal, Jack Deacy, Paul Adazibal, Billy Pokorney, Bobby Pokorney, Tommy Stuart, Richie Marino and all the Veterans who participated in the marching units from the Basilica of OLPH in WW1, WW2, KOREA and Viet Nam.

Wow ... the NY Skyliners most cherished vet of WWII:

Raymond A. Garbarina ...

to whom AL Post # 1523 was named in honor of ...

... and their second most cherished vet: John Mazarakos ...

another WWII vet, and Championship snare drummer, whose name was added after his death in the 50's ...

Many, many more have worn the uniform of battle and the red & black of the NY Skyliners ...

... and I salute them all: the Garbarina-Mazarakos AL Post #1523 New York Skyliners ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Gee I thought this was a good idea

It is, Steinie, it is. I imagine some folks are trying to put together lists now. Keep in mind that when a lot of the senior corps were founded, membership had to be 100% veterans. Therefore, I salute all the original members of the corps founded after WWll. Way too many to list individually considering Sky, Cabs, Reilly, Archie, YR, Rockets, Ct Yankees, Prince etc., etc., etc..

A big salute and THANK YOU to ALL of them and to the vets of our era who kept it all going after their service time.

Ray

The Archer/Epler Musketeers are named for two WW! veterans whose portraits hang over the bar (where else?) at the post in Upper Darby.

Lefty Mayer, Jim Donnelly, Billy Cobham, Ray Fallon, Mickey Petrone, John Simpson, Tommy Martin, Rodney Goodheart, Johnny Olivieri...(hand-off......)

Current/former SoCal Dream vets that I remember:

Myself (USAF)

Wayne Ball (USCG)

"Little Ricky" (forgot his last name...USMC...might still be active, as he joined after 04)

Dan Saeger (04 tymp, bari after that) (USN)

Sure there have been others....

Edited by 84BDsop

The Archer/Epler Musketeers are named for two WW! veterans whose portraits hang over the bar (where else?) at the post in Upper Darby.

Lefty Mayer, Jim Donnelly, Billy Cobham, Ray Fallon, Mickey Petrone, John Simpson, Tommy Martin, Rodney Goodheart, Johnny Olivieri...(hand-off......)

You're too kind - didn't you, Bob Murphy, Fred Sasso all serve in a tank battalion during the '60s? i've heard some wild stories...

also Bill Gallagher of the 1963 Sunrisers (julliard trombonist) who took a head wound at Da Nang in 1965 or 1966 and was severely injured.

Mike Hart of the 1974 - 1975 - 1976 Sunrisers, who along with a silver star, 3 bronze stars, also was awarded 2 purple hearts as an airborne medic with the 101st Screaming Eagles in Viet Nam. The boy was a bit crazy, but good to have on your side in a tussle. (which, unless I remember incorrectly, happened fairly often bitd - maybe because so many of us WERE veterans?)

You're too kind - didn't you, Bob Murphy, Fred Sasso all serve in a tank battalion during the '60s? i've heard some wild stories...

also Bill Gallagher of the 1963 Sunrisers (julliard trombonist) who took a head wound at Da Nang in 1965 or 1966 and was severely injured.

Mike Hart of the 1974 - 1975 - 1976 Sunrisers, who along with a silver star, 3 bronze stars, also was awarded 2 purple hearts as an airborne medic with the 101st Screaming Eagles in Viet Nam. The boy was a bit crazy, but good to have on your side in a tussle. (which, unless I remember incorrectly, happened fairly often bitd - maybe because so many of us WERE veterans?)

Not sure Mickey would be wild about the juxtaposition of our names - after Archie's "DCA" send-up he was none too happy wih me. Never got a chance to beg forgiveness...

Gee I thought this was a good idea

As Ray said earlier, it is a good idea.

The only problem is that there are so many veterans in drum corps - especially in the alumni corps - that it's practically impossible to list them all.

Take Cabs Alumni as an example. There are veterans of every conflict from World War II (George Hayek and Andy Sproha come immediately to mind) right on up through Korea, Vietnam, etc., etc.