Citrus Bowl to Get Turf Instead of Grass

From today's Orlando Sentinel:

"Chief among the aging stadium's upgrades: an estimated $1 million worth of artificial turf to replace the playing field's natural grass."

They were planning a giant renovation of the whole thing, but with the bad economy, it has been reduced to some holdover fixes. Perhaps this means no more rainouts like we had this past summer!

Whole story is here:

Sentinel Story

I'm in favor of the idea and although I do not prefer to march on turf, when the location is somewhere that is subject to a good amount of afternoon storms during the summer months, having turf instead of real grass would really decrease the chance of a rain out in the future. On top of being cheaper to maintain and all, it seems worth it in the end to myself, because having another Major event for DCI get rained out really sucked as a performer but it's even less fair to the paying audience who are looking to enjoy some tasty drum corps.

Edited by JoshKegley

Let's remember what Orlando weather is like in July and August. The show could still get rained out if the storm is bad enough.

The good news is that the CB will have an actual marching surface instead of the BEACH that's there now.

The Citrus Bowl had a wonderful new natural grass field installed last winter/spring. The field was in great condition at DCI Orlando and was draining remarkably well considering the amount of rain dumped on it. Any talk of the field being a "beach" is simply inaccurate. The decision to install a turf field is about maintenance costs, not because there is anything wrong with the current grass field.

The storm that night would not have allowed a show to go on regardless of the type of field. It was not remotely typical of Florida summer weather, either. Afternoon thunderstorms are common, but they do not persist the way that system did. In 13 years of attending DCI shows in Orlando, that's the first complete rainout I can recall. Delays are common, but usually the rain passes and things get under way just fine. How many other locations (other than domes, obviously) have hosted a show for a similar length of time without at least one rainout? I'd bet not many.

With all that being said, it's a moot point.

is the areas used for parking and warmups getting turf too?

The Citrus Bowl had a wonderful new natural grass field installed last winter/spring. The field was in great condition at DCI Orlando and was draining remarkably well considering the amount of rain dumped on it. Any talk of the field being a "beach" is simply inaccurate. The decision to install a turf field is about maintenance costs, not because there is anything wrong with the current grass field.

I aged out in Orlando in 2003. Trust me- it was a beach.

I aged out in Orlando in 2003. Trust me- it was a beach.

Just because it was a beach SIX years ago doesn't have any bearing on how it is today. I was on the field at the canceled show in July. It was immaculate.

Edited by Kamarag

Just because it was a beach SIX years ago doesn't have any bearing on how it is today. I was on the field at the canceled show in July. It was immaculate.

I was on the field also... I was in a corps who went on early in the exh, and the field was still a spongy mess, but considering the amount of rain dumped on that field, I'd say it was in great shape. The field would have been perfect if it wasn't for the rain. It's a shame the show was rained out, because that crowd was electric, even for the stand stills.

However, the field the year before, was a beach... it had actual sand pits... I think there was a monster truck show the week before or something....

The turf is welcome though.