Whats the typically note range for trumpets in world class?

There is no such thing as a "cheater" mouthpiece. Its a matter of efficiency for the player his or her self. All of the lines I've been in, the caption head/techs let the upper split trumpets use our own mouthpieces.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's very rare. As was previously said, I think most lines now-a-days have a matching set so they get the "concert band" sound.

Just my opinion.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's very rare. As was previously said, I think most lines now-a-days have a matching set so they get the "concert band" sound.

Just my opinion.

Speaking from my experience at Cadets, all the trumpets were on a Yamaha equivalent to a 3C, except for the upper leads. And we were only allowed to play on those mouthpieces if we still had a characteristic sound.

Just curious, since this topic is about range, what should the range of a baritone player be (generally) if I want to try out for a second part? I know that we don't scream or anything, so if I can comfortably hit a high G or A, is that good enough?

Just curious, since this topic is about range, what should the range of a baritone player be (generally) if I want to try out for a second part? I know that we don't scream or anything, so if I can comfortably hit a high G or A, is that good enough?

Yeah....probably. G or A is the upper limit for most lead parts anyway, with most of the melody and chord / power notes being more between Bb and F. The only time I ever saw our seconds go up to a G in the music, it got cut because it sounded awful. Granted, it was 06, so take it however you may :cool:

Just a note - i do remember being asked to play a 2 octave Bb scale, years ago when I tried out. They didnt expect everybody to hit every note, and if you cant nail a high Bb, its better to just play what you can well up to a G or so, and then bail out, rather than freak yourself out about the whole thing. Not being able to hit high notes is about 1% of what you have to worry about in a dc audition anyway

I guess that a lot of it depends on the brass instructors. I knew of one corps that had all of the mellos, baris, euphs and contras playing on designated mouthpieces but the sops were allowed to choose their own. It's probably one of those things that varies from one corps to the next.

Triple Bb or cut. >_> <_<

In my dreams. that would be an awesome corps. SCREAMING BARI LINE

Triple Bb or cut. >_> <_<

In my dreams. that would be an awesome corps. SCREAMING BARI LINE

Contrabasses!!! Now THAT would be awesome!!! :cool::w00t::w00t::w00t:

that is probably good enough for 2nd part. I played 3rd part, and my highest note was an F, once in 2 years, and I think it was a unison line for the entire section. Probably 90% of the stuff was on the staff. Most of the 2nd parts should be in the top of the staff plus a few ledger lines area... which I guess matches what euponitone said.