So who all here is auditioning for a corps this year?

My son is auditioning for a trumpet spot in Pioneer, I hope he makes it I love that corps !

If your son has desire and willingness to work hard, I would wager that he will make it. BTW, he will be auditioning for me!

PM me with any questions or concerns.

Donny Allen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm auditioning for EUPH - Crossmen and Phantom Regiment back to back weekends.

I'm auditioning for EUPH - Crossmen and Phantom Regiment back to back weekends.

Hah! That sounds just like my plan for next year, same two corps, same instrument. Good luck!

My son is auditioning for a trumpet spot in Pioneer, I hope he makes it I love that corps !

:thumbup:

He'll have a great experience getting to work with Donny Allen and the rest of the brass staff at Pioneer!

Good Luck to your son!

Until you come back from the summer and can play and march circles around the rest of the band, never mind just your section. Has he ever heard of his students taking the initiative to improve their skills, which next season will benefit the band as a whole?

She actually encourages us to take any opportunity to improve our skills, with the exception of drum corps. I don't know the whole story, but apparently several years ago she had two kids who came back from a summer of drum corps and they completely disrespected her. Now she won't let anyone in the band march DCI over the summer. Which is kind of funny because she is a huge Cavaliers fan :thumbup: BUT I have been working on convincing her, and if I say just the right things she may give in...its only a matter of time...

She actually encourages us to take any opportunity to improve our skills, with the exception of drum corps. I don't know the whole story, but apparently several years ago she had two kids who came back from a summer of drum corps and they completely disrespected her. Now she won't let anyone in the band march DCI over the summer. Which is kind of funny because she is a huge Cavaliers fan :thumbup: BUT I have been working on convincing her, and if I say just the right things she may give in...its only a matter of time...

I don't know how important you might be to your band but just let her know that this means more to you than high school band (if it actually does) and if you have to choose you'll choose the other option. My director tried making me miss an audition camp last year for a stupid laid-back, last-minute fundraiser. Luckily I got helped out of that one because our student teacher marched and was on staff somewhere so helped him see that his high school ensemble is not the most important thing in the world.

It's not unusual for high school students to have trouble re-integrating into their high school band after marching drum corps. It sounds like that might be the case here. See if you can find out what her concerns are and ask if there's a way to prevent those issues from becoming a problem.

It's not unusual for high school students to have trouble re-integrating into their high school band after marching drum corps. It sounds like that might be the case here. See if you can find out what her concerns are and ask if there's a way to prevent those issues from becoming a problem.

All you have to do is not talk. Lead by example and don't get cocky. After marching a top 3 corps after my sophomore year, I just had to keep all the comments that came to my head in my head and let the staff do their jobs.

Until you come back from the summer and can play and march circles around the rest of the band, never mind just your section. Has he ever heard of his students taking the initiative to improve their skills, which next season will benefit the band as a whole?

Its usually an attitude problem, as has been stated after you said this. I was one of those kids who caused problems and was nearly kicked out because i didn't know how to keep my mouth shut... and I was the section leader! So whenever I see a kid trying out for drum corps who will return to high school I tell them to just take everything in stride because you WILL get frustrated when you return.

Just because you march drum corps doesn't make you God's gift to marching band. I learned that the hard way, and it wasn't fun.