The Green Machine or SCV

Maybe talk to alumni from both corps. Getting opinions from them may help give you a better idea of what you are looking for in a drum corps. Both corps are very rich in history and are very good. Like one poster said. Cavies tend to like to have more fun. I have a friend who marched Cavs for 5 years and was their percussion section leader untill 2000. he would not change a thing about his experience.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus, have you marched anywhere previously? If this is your first audition, be prepared to be rejected if you go to any former championship corps or Crown. Sorry, that's just a reality. If I have the opportunity to choose between a high school junior from a decent Colorado marching band and someone who marched in, say, Blue Knights, I take the BK vet every time and twice on Sunday.

Whichever corps you choose to audition for know that you are auditioning for two of the best organizations in the activity. But also know that well over the number of spots they have to offer will have 4 times as many as could fill the corps there to compete for them. Heck, its not unheard of for returning vets to be turned away.

IF..and I do mean if...IF you are rejected by whichever corps you audition for, walk away from that experience having achieved something that most people don't ever pursue. Auditioning for top corps is a pretty big deal these days. Then go audition for Blue Knights or Troopers. If you are rejected there, don't view it as a judgment, they just have a whole bunch of people auditioning there, too. People want to march in Finals, not so much for the show as for the experience of marching in that calibre of ensemble.

Then you go audition at Scouts, Crossmen, Mandarins, Cascades, Crusaders and do that for a year, then try again.

That all being said, SCV has one distinguishing advantage you will want to consider: SCVCadets! If you don't make SCV, which is likely, ask if they would consider you for the B corps. Remember, SCVCadets won DCI Open Class in 2008 and both SCVC and BDB placed higher than Jersey Surf and Teal Sound the last two years--both of those corps are now moving up to or in World Class. SCVC would be a GREAT experience for you, and a great way for you to get your introduction to DCI in a world class organization, perform with members more your age (instead of 3-4 years older), and ingratiate yourself to the staff for auditions next year.

That's not to say that next year would be a given--you still have to work your BUTT off just to make a corps this year.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck in your decision. Both are great organizations and you would do well auditioning for either.

Silvertrombone, while your advice is sound, I'm a bit surprised that you grouped Boston in with the others corps you mentioned as a warm up act before marching with a "top" corps. These days, most Crusaders do not view BAC as a stepping stone corps....in fact, only a handful of 08 members marched elsewhere in 09.....I think one or two went to PR for 09 in hopes of a ring, but they were definitely a super-minority.

after 2 years of marching in a drum corps 20 miles from home, I was going to venture to a new unit... That said I had SCV who were marching their first male gun line and a 30 minute flight... or across the country to Madison WI.

Cost to get back and forth was a huge difference... I made the trips from LA to Madison for three years. The pay off was huge.

(don't count out BK)

Edited by Cop

I agree with the getting cut thing, no offense, and u may blow everyone away (ha ha horn joke) .... But my point is I agree with marching a "lower" corps. To much hype is put on the top 12 (and more so top 6-8) corps and not enough on the smaller guys. I get that everyone wants to be able to say "I marched BD" etc etc. but many people who have never marched drum corps dont get it. I know a lot of local high school kids near me who think their chops own, and go and try out for a top tier corps. They get cut and dont march ANYWHERE. If you want to get better YOU HAVE TO MARCH. NOTHING compares you for drum corps like drum corps ha ha. I planned on marching DCA for a couple years then going DCI. But instead I fell in love with my corps and gave up DCI. (I still have one year after this one but wont go DCI)

ANYWAY all I ask is MARCH. You dont have to go with a smaller corps like I said (hint hint they r cheaper) but just promise us you'll march k?

Good luck man :thumbup:

I do planning on going somewhere if things don't work out where I don't know, but you will see me somewhere this year...i've got the bug.

I do planning on going somewhere if things don't work out where I don't know, but you will see me somewhere this year...i've got the bug.

oh god, not that. not THE BUG!!!!!

I would say this is a decision you need to make on your own. I do agree with the idea of trying to talk to alumni from both corps. I'm sure if you went to their websites and e-mailed the right people you could in touch with alumni. However, this could be a whole new can of worms but I would not try to march any other corps than the one you want to march. Don't settle for anything less, I really don't think having past experience has to do with you making it or not. When I marched, it was with a very high level corps, I did not expect to get in but its where I wanted to be, and with enough practice and commitment, I got into the corps of my dreams. If it does turn out that the corps you decide to march with does require past drum corps experience to have a remote chance of joining them, then I'd say you shouldn't go there, that's a stupid requirement for a corps if you ask me...again, that just me. Just decide what you like about SCV and what you like about the Cavaliers, research the corps, talk to current members and alumni if you can and decide then. While what any corps does on the field is amazing, not everyone in the group is super human, so don't think being a junior in high school means you arent good enough, just know with all of the college level people trying out, it will be a tough mountain to climb but if you commit to it, I think you can do it. Good luck to you on your auditions wherever you go.

Who is Jack Meehan?

Presuming you're serious....the father of BD instructor John Meehan. Jack was on the brass staff when I marched (and when John was a little guy in the B corps). Awesome instructor.

Getting back to some other points....do not....repeat...do NOT go to audition for ANY corps with a chip on your shoulder. You aren't the greatest thing they've seen, and a lot of staff would rather have a lesser skilled person who can grow into their program and take instruction rather than someone who can play the valves off a horn, but acts like he knows everything and refuses to be taught. THAT guy can kill any improvement in a corps, while the first guy can learn to with with the rest of the corps.

It IS possible for a rank beginner from a low level HS program and then a decent college program to make a top corps....I did.

Edited by 84BDsop

Some of you're instructors have burned their own fair share of bridges, so be careful with that one.

Hey Jesus,

It's hard to understand at a younger age, but when you grow up you begin to know what this means a little better. I was told by my past bd that my corps director burned a lot of bridges. It was bs.

I however ended up burning my bridge with that certain corps director. My reasons are private and business related, but understand that certain people like to talk ####, like us fans, that includes directors and instructional staff at bands. A lot is ego, a little is jealousy. Sometimes its the truth, but you've gotta feel out the style of the corps and the personality and cult of the staff. If they fit, then stick with it and ageout there (it looks like marriage...)

However, burning bridges is a common thing in the adult world. Unless you wish to be a spineless, ideal-less automaton.

SCV isn't allowing anybody under 18 or isn't a senior to be accepted into the corps this year, though I do believe you are allowed to audition for the experience (which you should, SCV auditions are in December 18-20). Because auditions are in December for SCV and you aren't able to make the line due to age, you should audition for Cavis during their November auditions. If you get called back, then don't go to SCV auditions. In the case that you don't get called back, go to the SCV auditions for the experience, and then either go on to march in the Cadet corps (which is an outstanding place to march, even if it is an open class corps) or try and get into a solid world class corps that is a cheap plane ticket, or short drive, away (e.g. Troopers, BK, Academy, Crossmen). Oh, and just to warn you SCV brass audition material has been posted, and you are going to want to start working on it, even with the fact that you are to young. I would also advice you to get comfortable with the idea that you may be spending your rookie year on euphonium, so you need to be working out daily right now.