Top 50 DCI era Corps

I was checking out a website that ranked the top 50 corps. I wondered what my top 50 of the DCI era would be. There are some old time corps that would have made the top 50 Drum Corps period but weren’t around long enough to have an impact from 1972 to today.

There are several corps that to me would have made my list but didn’t last that long. I’ll save them for last

In somewhat alphabetical order

1. 27th Lancers

2. Anaheim Kingsmen

3. Argonne Rebels

4. Avant Garde

5. Black Knights

6. Bleu Raiders

7. Blue Coats

8. Blue Devils

9. Blue Knights

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Blue Stars

12. Bluecoats

13. Bridgemen

14. Capital Aires

15. Cavaliers (Rosemont)

16. Chung Wah Boy Scouts

17. Colts

18. Crossmen

19. Defenders

20. Des Plaines Vanguard

21. Dutch Boy

22. Emerald Knights

23. Freelancers

24. General Butler Vagabonds

25. Geneseo Knights

26. Glassmen

27. Guardsmen

28. Holy Name Cadets- Garfield Cadets-Cadets of Bergen County- etc

29. Kilties

30. Les Chatelaines

31. Long Island Kingsmen

32. Madison Scouts

33. Memphis Blues Brass Band ***

34. Muchachos

35. Northstar

36. Oakland Crusaders - DeLaSalle Oaklands - Etobicoke Crusaders

37. Patriots NY

38. Phantom Regiment

39. Pioneer

40. Purple Lancers

41. Royal Crusaders

42. Santa Clara Vanguard

43. Spartans

44. Spirit

45. St. Ignatuis Girls

46. Star of Indiana

47. Suncoast Sound

48. Troopers

49. Velvet Knights

50. Honorable Mention, These are corps that just missed the cut. Yamato, Seattle Imperials, Spectra Heightsmen Alliance, Les Eclipses, Argonauts, Blessed Sacraments Golden Knights, Blue Rock, Commodores, Marauders

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not dogging your selections, because they are yours, but the 2 corps that popped in my mind that you seem to have missed would be Florida Wave and Southwind. Both just missing finals with a lower division championship.

Not dogging your selections, because they are yours, but the 2 corps that popped in my mind that you seem to have missed would be Florida Wave and Southwind. Both just missing finals with a lower division championship.

I was going for corps that had some type of impact. Alot of earlier stuff I knew from reading old DCW's and Drum Corps News that Ken Kobold sent me before he passed away. I know I have Bluecoats twice and shouldn't have listed Chung Wah Boys as they were before DCI.

I would include Southwind before Florida Wave only because one was around longer as a DCI corps. FW was several different corps before they became FW. I would list more lower class corps such as Mandarins, Americanos and others

I was checking out a website that ranked the top 50 corps. I wondered what my top 50 of the DCI era would be. There are some old time corps that would have made the top 50 Drum Corps period but weren’t around long enough to have an impact from 1972 to today.

There are several corps that to me would have made my list but didn’t last that long. I’ll save them for last

In somewhat alphabetical order

31. Long Island Kingsmen

THANK YOU! Not many people left in the activity that remember us, but I'm glad we still have someone who liked us.

I remember you guys very well Dave.

I always thought of you guys as a LI version of the Defenders. (Given my MA bias of course)

As for the list...

I would add the Beverly Cardinals. Strong corps in their own right, before the North Star merge.

THANK YOU! Not many people left in the activity that remember us, but I'm glad we still have someone who liked us.

Hey 1978 American Legion Junior Champs..... IOW the next to last AL Jr Champs....

Heh, I was there but in the Senior portion of the show.

I remember you guys very well Dave.

I always thought of you guys as a LI version of the Defenders. (Given my MA bias of course)

As for the list...

I would add the Beverly Cardinals. Strong corps in their own right, before the North Star merge.

hey being from mass and the defenders do you have any old photos from cyo emass or mayflower say 76-79 with the chuting stars