Best drum corps shows of the 21st Century

I would change a ton, especially in the top 10 (and top 1 :withstupid: ), but what do you expect when someone does a list this comprehensive?. There's over a hundred shows that could be on this list, but only 30 made it. Oh well...it's well written, and interesting, which is about all you can ask for....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for quick reference, here is the list. But do yourself a favor and actually read the article. Very well written.

1. 2009 Blue Devils- 1930

2. 2002 Cavaliers- Frameworks

3. 2008 Phantom Regiment- Spartacus

4. 2007 Blue Devils- Winged Victory

5. 2000 Cadets- We Are The Future

6. 2009 Carolina Crown- The Grass is Always Greener

7. 2000 Boston Crusaders- Red

8. 2009 Santa Clara Vanguard- Ballet for Martha

9. 2005 Phantom Regiment- Rhapsody

10. 2005 Cadets- The Zone

11. 2003 Blue Devils- The Phenomenon of Cool

12. 2000 Cavaliers- Niagara Falls

13. 2008 Blue Devils- Constantly Risking Absurdity

14. 2008 Carolina Crown- Finis

15. 2001 Santa Clara Vanguard- New Era Metropolis

16. 2007 Phantom Regiment- On Air

17. 2009 Bluecoats- Imagine

18. 2009 Holy Name Cadets- West Side Story: Celebration and Conflict

19. 2004 Carolina Crown- Bohemia

20. 2008 Cavaliers- Samurai

21. 2001 Glassmen- Imago

22. 2007 Cadets- This I Believe

23. 2007 Santa Clara Vanguard- !

24. 2004 Capital Regiment- Mind, Body, Spirit

25. 2001 Cadets- Juxtaperformance

26. 2006 Carolina Crown- In.Trance.It

27. 2007 Colts- Equinox

28. 2008 Blue Stars- Le Tour

29. 2009 Troopers- Western Side Story

30. 2008 Madison Scouts- La Noche de la Iguana

Regiment '03 didn't even make the main list--it was one of the bonus shows? :tongue:

It was one of the "also-ran" shows. And I think that was generous. Overrated.

It was one of the "also-ran" shows. And I think that was generous. Overrated.

Over-rated maybe in the same way as shows like Madison '95. These are shows where scoring potential never could match audience enthusiasm. Put me down for including Phantom '03 in the top shows of the 21st Century for that reason, the same reason I would include Madison '95 in the top shows of the 90s.

HH

I’ve been thinking about his choice of BD ’09 as the top show of the 21st Century. What does he mean about “breaking the fourth wall between performers and spectators”?

HH

1. Blue Devils, 2009, “1930”

The freshest ideas on the field were the oldest, 79 years old in fact; the Blue Devils’ lavish vaudevillian variety card of tunes from 1930 melded the traditional drum corps idiom and the corps’ own history of performance with an extravagant use of electronics.

In addition to putting on simply a great show of talent, songs, and pure entertainment; the inclusion of the piano, especially in the final movement, came as close to “breaking the fourth wall” between performers and spectators as this activity has ever experienced. It was bold, brash, and brass (show) business. It was also inventive beyond measure.

The marvel of doubling the corps’ size, and visual opportunities, with stark white chairs was a godsend. The eye-popping and freakishly talented color guard amazed and delighted at every turn, in each act, whether as period character or at its base equipment handling best. Fresh, new, ground-breaking -- “old”; “1930” was the dance derby of the decade!

Dave G Hill is a good writer. ( I wish DCI would let him write their liner notes)

BUT! His list is just one bloggers opinion. :tongue:

I would love to read other peoples opinions.

The "fourth wall" concept in theatre refers to the conceit that the audience is looking in on the action through an imaginary fourth wall - ie, the performers don't acknowledge that they are actors or that there's an audience. In film or theatre when you "break" the fourth wall, you do something that calls attention to the fact that you know you're a performer and that an audience is watching you - think of Groucho when he steps to the camera and delivers a comment directly to the audience.

Drum corps have been acknowledging the audiences since the beginning of time, which makes the phrase sort of puzzling in this context.

Edited by mobrien

The "fourth wall" concept in theatre refers to the conceit that the audience is looking in on the action through an imaginary fourth wall - ie, the performers don't acknowledge that they are actors or that there's an audience. In film or theatre when you "break" the fourth wall, you do something that calls attention to the fact that you know you're a performer and that an audience is watching you - think of Groucho when he steps to the camera and delivers a comment directly to the audience.

Drum corps have been acknowledging the audiences since the beginning of time, which makes the phrase sort of puzzling in this context.

Thanks. Puzzling indeed.

I'm also a little puzzled by the characterization "extravagant use of electronics" in regard to BD '09. Extravagant?

HH