If you could have played a different instrument...

Sort of a spinoff of the Which corps would you march thread. If you could have marched any other instrument what would it be? And for what corps? Give us your original instrument as well!

For me, I played trumpet but always wished I could have played snare to march in the Cadets line. Their book is always pretty legit, and I wish I could play it!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of a spinoff of the Which corps would you march thread. If you could have marched any other instrument what would it be? And for what corps? Give us your original instrument as well!

For me, I played trumpet but always wished I could have played snare to march in the Cadets line. Their book is always pretty legit, and I wish I could play it!

That's a tough one. Trumpet was excellent, but I always wanted to play Tuba, MELLOPHONE, snare and tenors for Cadets. I would have also liked to play trumpet for SCV (1998 SCV).

I started learning on sop when I was 6. Then I had to be fitted with braces and start drumming in a big hurry if I wanted to stay in corps and eventually wound up on snare, but Maynard was still my hero, so I would pick sop. Fortunatly for brass instructors worldwide that never happened. There were a few perc instructors who weren't always happy about it either, but I survived. :rolleyes:

I couldn't imagine playing anything other than Euphonium back in my Jr. Days. There was just something magical about how it looked and sounded. I wouldn't have wanted to play anything other than Euphonium back then. Although it would have been nice to play it in a few more corps. SCV, Phantom, Star. But that was very frowned upon back then. And you don't get one jacket with many patches going that route. I've since marched pretty much every brass option since my Jr. Days. Although I've only done Baritone for one parade, and one week my age out year while the Euph was in the shop during finals week. If I had it all to do over again, I might opt to play baritone a year or more back then just to open up the option for solos and such. But Euph was a good fit. The baritones always got worked while the Euphs kind of hung out all summer. It was our summer vacation, so why not enjoy it. Factor in more baritone players wanting to play baritone that there were baritone slots and no regrets choosing Euph over that other horn. I had my pick and wasn't limited by talent per say, but I chose Euph.

In all age corps Mellophone is a little funner to play. Especially if you're not as fit as you once were, and/or have a lot of parades in your future.

I marched contra.

I would've liked to have marched tenors.

What can I say. I like heavy things.

I was a snare drummer. I would have loved to play tenors with any early 80's Bridgemen line. However...Crowns tuba line in 09 would be pretty cool.