What is it about drum corps...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like that everyone comes out of drum corps with very similar experiences. When I initially started looking into drum corps I went onto the dci website and looked up all the corps' final scores. I was worried that there might be some laggard corps that I should avoid. Groups where people weren't 100% committed, where you would turn up and morale would be down because someone was feeling lazy that day and was letting the team down. Groups that got used to underperforming because they could never pull themselves together. The more feedback I get and the more I soak up the details, the less this possibility seems feasible. I used to think "man, I better practise hard so I make the blue devils", but now I realise that making it into a corp like bd, or scv, or the cadets, or phantom often takes people a number of seasons and that they work just as hard in the seasons before entering the highest ranked corps as when they're in those corps.

A per usual, I'm not too sure if my take on things is accurate. Confirm? Yea, or nay?

Id say it can be a factor, but i would also say age and maturity of the group can matter too. A younger group can be just as committed as the blue devils, but due to their starting experience theyre going to place a bit lower. Youll notice that as you go higher in placement, the average age of the group tends to go up.

It sounds like that everyone comes out of drum corps with very similar experiences. When I initially started looking into drum corps I went onto the dci website and looked up all the corps' final scores. I was worried that there might be some laggard corps that I should avoid. Groups where people weren't 100% committed, where you would turn up and morale would be down because someone was feeling lazy that day and was letting the team down. Groups that got used to underperforming because they could never pull themselves together. The more feedback I get and the more I soak up the details, the less this possibility seems feasible. I used to think "man, I better practise hard so I make the blue devils", but now I realise that making it into a corp like bd, or scv, or the cadets, or phantom often takes people a number of seasons and that they work just as hard in the seasons before entering the highest ranked corps as when they're in those corps.

A per usual, I'm not too sure if my take on things is accurate. Confirm? Yea, or nay?

Honestly, there's no room for someone feeling lazy in a touring world or open class corps. The variance in scores you see has a lot more to do with factors that have nothing to do with commitment. A corps like Blue Devils or any other top tier corps has some advantages over other corps. It's not unfair or anything, it's just true. Some of those advantages are:

higher average age

very strong pool of talent to pick from every year due to their higher placement

Usually a long-established design team that works well together

Design

Design

Design

Execution of design by that bigger, older talent pool

Did I mention design? I think I did....

But the beauty of it is that every world class and open class corps is full of people who are committed and working side by side every day. Drum corps gives all of its participants an experience that will change a person's life forever. So I offer a friendly suggestion: expand your horizons and be open to marching in several different corps. You won't regret it!

Thanks Alex and Terri, that's really useful information for me. And Terri, I'm definitely open to marching any world class/open corps (bar cavaliers and madison :P) now, especially after what you've said. Question, what ages is "open class" usually open to? Because I was under the impression that these were really junior corps, whereas I'll be 20 by the time I get stuck into anything. I'm born january 1990, and won't be in the states until mid 2010.

Thanks Alex and Terri, that's really useful information for me. And Terri, I'm definitely open to marching any world class/open corps (bar cavaliers and madison :P) now, especially after what you've said. Question, what ages is "open class" usually open to? Because I was under the impression that these were really junior corps, whereas I'll be 20 by the time I get stuck into anything. I'm born january 1990, and won't be in the states until mid 2010.

I'm pretty sure that the DCI age-out restriction for OC is the same as WC. 21 unless your 22nd birthday falls on or after June 1st, which retains your eligibility for the remainder of the season. It's often referred to as a "bonus year". Mid 2010 would be around June, which is cutting it pretty close because most corps are ready to jump off around that time. A DCA corps might also be an option for you depending on your location. Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide to do. :inlove:

Waaaaaaaait! So if I'm 20 in June 2010, and audition when all the corps are beginning recruitment around november-december 2010, I'll have missed the boat? I think I'm about to have a heart attack.. Despite just having been told OC may be open to me.

Waaaaaaaait! So if I'm 20 in June 2010, and audition when all the corps are beginning recruitment around november-december 2010, I'll have missed the boat? I think I'm about to have a heart attack.. Despite just having been told OC may be open to me.

No, you're fine. You'll be 21 during the season you're auditioning for, which is the maximum age allowed. You'd only be screwed if you turned 22 before June 1.

The pure, unadulerated sound of bugles and percussion. Wait a minute - that's been lost for a few years now!

Seriously, for me, it's the music first, followed by the visual aspect. I keep coming back, hoping to hear the horn power of the late '70s and early '80s, but it just isn't there anymore. I wish we could teleport the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta to 2010 so all of the younger drum corps fans could hear a true "wall of sound", plus a monster drum line with 11 snares playing on mylar with scoops.

Thank God they haven't added electronics to pipe bands!

The pure, unadulerated sound of bugles and percussion. Wait a minute - that's been lost for a few years now!

Seriously, for me, it's the music first, followed by the visual aspect. I keep coming back, hoping to hear the horn power of the late '70s and early '80s, but it just isn't there anymore. I wish we could teleport the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta to 2010 so all of the younger drum corps fans could hear a true "wall of sound", plus a monster drum line with 11 snares playing on mylar with scoops.

Thank God they haven't added electronics to pipe bands!

And there it is!

I was waiting for yet another one of these "corps aren't loud enough" posts. It's almost like clockwork.

I have a solution! Buy a hearing aid and turn up the volume.

:inlove:

Thanks Crown! I've got my heart going again.

So Open Class.. Hmmm. Does anyone feel like comparing and contrasting open with world class for me? I did have my heart set on world class because, let's face it, this is probably going to be the only time I march in a drum corps. I thought I may as well go all out.

lol. What amuses me is that it could well have been years of being deafened by drum corps that makes them seem relatively quiet now. Tehe.