Attending a winter/spring camps and high school conflicts.

Hello, I am planning on auditioning this year for drum corps, and I'm in high school. I am also planning to doing winter drumline at my school. 3 of the 4 winterline performances are on DCI camp dates. I'm wondering if it is reasonable to partially or completely miss 3 camp dates to attend performances. Or should A world class corps' camps take priority. Tell me what I should do guys.

thanks

Talk to both staffs and find out if they are willing to be flexible. If not then you may have to make a difficult decision. For me, marching in a world class line would trump high school indoor. No offense to your high school group intended.

that's rough... corps generally say that they will work with your school schedule.

that said, I don't know that an indoor ensemble will count as your school schedule in their eyes.

Obviously partially missing camp is better than completely missing camp. Talk to the staff at where you are planning to audition. If they say you will need to be at the corps camps, then you will have to decide (if you make it) whether you want to march corps or indoor. If your options are either/or, I would choose to march corps.

Best of luck.

I just want to emphasize that you should not understate your band commitments.

If you are going to participate in indoor, fully understanding your scheduling conflicts, then you should honor your commitments.

I'm sure your drum corps would not appreciate you leaving for vacation in the middle of july. Your high school should not be treated with any less respect or commitment.

Talk to your staff at the high school and corps. Most camps, arguably, would not take priority over school commitments.

I'm sure the corps will more then willingly allow you to miss part of a camp, given that they are aware of your absence weeks in advance.

I don't know if you've got your eye set on just one corps, but if so you might want to expand your potential corps choices until you find one that fits better than others in terms of flexibility and/or timing of camps. A lot of corps will work with students if the student is a one-of-a-kind talent and works hard in the off season, but if you're one of 30-50 applicants for one section of the drumline... well, you see the math there, right?

I've always heard drum corps staff people say "school conflicts come first, before drum corps". As long as they know ahead of time, I'm sure the staff at the corps you plan to audition for will be fine with you missing at least part of a camp.

Talk to both staffs and find out if they are willing to be flexible. If not then you may have to make a difficult decision. For me, marching in a world class line would trump high school indoor. No offense to your high school group intended.

I agree with this. I think some corps may be more flexible than others but the reality is that when you commit to a corps the expectation is that it takes priority over other elective type activities. If you want to do both chances are you'll end up in a WC line that is desperate enough for numbers that they'll allow you to miss camps and still march, but I would assert it's not very fair to the others in the corps that are making the effort to be at all camps. Remember, you not only commit to an organization but to every brother and sister you'll be marching with that summer to give 110% of yourself to the activity.