Finals

Bob, I was doing research on a white-paper today when I found this nugget that I would like to share with you.

On average, 96% of customers who've had a bad experience don't report it, and 91% of those unhappy customers don't come back.

Dissatisfied customers will also tell 10 other people- prospective customers-of their bad experience.

It cost five times as much to attract a new customer as it does to keep an existing one, and is 10 times more difficult.

A 10% increase in customer retention typically increases profits by 30%, while a 5% increase profits by 2.5% to 12.5%

The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60-70%; the probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%

Sources: Marketing Metrics, Bain & Co., Gartner Group

Dean

We're not trying to sell Old Navy Fleece Jackets here...

Your statistics may be true for Mom and Pop's Family Diner but not necessarily true for EVERYTHING in the marketing world.

And if we hold these stats as true for everything, is this supposed to dissuade DCI from marketing the activity to local communities? Is this supposed to dissuade any business from marketing to new customers? According to what Bobby has been saying, DCI does not over-advertise because it just is not in the budget. No one is wasting their time trying to attract new customers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to host one. One problem..the tour, those two weeks before finals, are forever way away from here. I see no sense in offering to host one in PA when they're somewhere dodging cornstalks in the midwest...it doesn't make financial sense.

and yes I am aware the OC directors made that decision. I will question that logic til the end of time...and most WC shows have the token local corps appear and that's it.

From the DCI 2010 tour schedule:

July 24 - Eastern, PA OC corps appearing: 7th Regiment, Capital Regiment, Legends, Les Stentors, Raiders, Spirit of Newark, and more.

From the DCI 2010 tour schedule:

July 24 - Eastern, PA OC corps appearing: 7th Regiment, Capital Regiment, Legends, Les Stentors, Raiders, Spirit of Newark, and more.

yep. the folks i talked to went a different direction that weekend

We're not trying to sell Old Navy Fleece Jackets here...

Your statistics may be true for Mom and Pop's Family Diner but not necessarily true for EVERYTHING in the marketing world.

And if we hold these stats as true for everything, is this supposed to dissuade DCI from marketing the activity to local communities? Is this supposed to dissuade any business from marketing to new customers? According to what Bobby has been saying, DCI does not over-advertise because it just is not in the budget. No one is wasting their time trying to attract new customers.

Thank You for your response. I would like to address your response point by point:

You are correct in that the Corps are not trying to sell Old Navy Fleece Jacket's. What you are selling is fleece hoodie's with the Corps name on them. You are selling hats, tee-shirts, bumper stickers, key rings, or whatever that has the Corps name on the item. The greatest product you are selling is the Corps it's self.

You are correct that these stats are not a one size fits all. It is a tool to either ignore or use as a guideline. Yet most papers that I have read on this subject do echo one another.

I have and always will be a very strong supporter of Drum Corps engagement with the local community. Yet few Drum Corps are actually making the effort. And for some Drum Corps they have been in the local community for many years. Yet for whatever reason choose not to engage in the local community or the local reign. Just look at how many young people today are NOT from around the local community or local reign. What I am saying is that the focus is out of balance. There is to much focus on growing the fan base and little to no effort in retaining the current fan base. We have been taken for granted.

You claim that no one is wasting their time in attracting new customers. To me this is just not the case. I would ask you or anyone to reread the wording in the rule changes that Mr. Hopkins used to justify the implementation of A&E. To me this is a classic case of throwing the Legacy Fans under the bus in trying to attract new customers.

There is another tool out there that is called VOC (Voice of the Customer) this is a very powerful tool if used right. Yet sometimes this is ignored when one in power thinks that the Customer is wrong and they know more what the customer wants then the customer does. "We were given two ears and one mouth so that we could listen more and talk less"

Dean

Jeff, that's an unfair and inaccurate characterization.

Bob,

It's hopeless to try and talk to the DCA folks. If you remember the postings in an earlier forum on closer cooperation between DCI and DCA you would see that they are only focused on DCA. They look at DCI as the big bad wolf who is trying to destroy the "purity" of drum corps that ONLY DCA is protecting and they will continue to make statements as Jeff has. It is really unbelievable that this is true, but their comments continue to reinforce this. They blame DCI for everything bad that happens. If a show fails it DCI's fault. If it is sucessful it shows how DCA is growing and is superior to the DCI model. I'm hoping that one day they will see the light, but am very doubtful that they will ever understand.

Bob,

It's hopeless to try and talk to the DCA folks. If you remember the postings in an earlier forum on closer cooperation between DCI and DCA you would see that they are only focused on DCA. They look at DCI as the big bad wolf who is trying to destroy the "purity" of drum corps that ONLY DCA is protecting and they will continue to make statements as Jeff has. It is really unbelievable that this is true, but their comments continue to reinforce this. They blame DCI for everything bad that happens. If a show fails it DCI's fault. If it is sucessful it shows how DCA is growing and is superior to the DCI model. I'm hoping that one day they will see the light, but am very doubtful that they will ever understand.

I think I will continue on my rant.

This is a perfect example of how the circuits could work together. Can the DCA folks see that cooperation could make this situation better for both groups? Instead of being in competition for the ticket dollars, they might even be able to work together to maximize the potential gains that could be reaped by everyone. Bur alas, we shouldn't do this this and align ourselves with the enemy. Let's just blame DCI for all the ills in the drum corps world. That's the ticket!

How incredibly stupid!!!!!!!!

Bob,

Wow. You know SO little about me. You obviously haven't seen me blast DCA for things. I don't blame DCI bad for everything that happens, and Bob will tell you that. When discussing how things could be better for OC corps, I have blasted the OC corps themselves many, many times.

so have many other DCA fans as yo call them.

here's a clue for you...I am a DRUM CORPS fan. Regeardless of what level. When I go to a DCI show, I watch ALL corps, I do not hang out in the parking lot tailgating or watching people warm up. I do the same at a DCA show.

Just think....about 1991 it was, I went to a show, and while hanging out oreshow, I asked how was on first....they said "some new corps called Jersey Surf....bet they suck".

so I went in. And wouldn't you know, I became a HUGE Surf fan that day. Supported them and followed them and cheered them.

but, see, then that ruins your rant because I just killed it with logic. It's ok, I know you won't apologize for assuming incorrectly.

I think I will continue on my rant.

This is a perfect example of how the circuits could work together. Can the DCA folks see that cooperation could make this situation better for both groups? Instead of being in competition for the ticket dollars, they might even be able to work together to maximize the potential gains that could be reaped by everyone. Bur alas, we shouldn't do this this and align ourselves with the enemy. Let's just blame DCI for all the ills in the drum corps world. That's the ticket!

How incredibly stupid!!!!!!!!

actually, I have proposed that DCA and DCI could work together on all levels with joint shows many times. Regardless of division. Remember the Hershey show? DCA and DCI corps...even some OC corps over the years? I do. I remember many more joint efforts back in the early 80's, and wish we had more of them.

but oh wait, that'd ruin your rant too.

next?

I have and always will be a very strong supporter of Drum Corps engagement with the local community. Yet few Drum Corps are actually making the effort. And for some Drum Corps they have been in the local community for many years. Yet for whatever reason choose not to engage in the local community or the local reign. Just look at how many young people today are NOT from around the local community or local reign. What I am saying is that the focus is out of balance. There is to much focus on growing the fan base and little to no effort in retaining the current fan base. We have been taken for granted.

You claim that no one is wasting their time in attracting new customers. To me this is just not the case. I would ask you or anyone to reread the wording in the rule changes that Mr. Hopkins used to justify the implementation of A&E. To me this is a classic case of throwing the Legacy Fans under the bus in trying to attract new customers.

There is another tool out there that is called VOC (Voice of the Customer) this is a very powerful tool if used right. Yet sometimes this is ignored when one in power thinks that the Customer is wrong and they know more what the customer wants then the customer does. "We were given two ears and one mouth so that we could listen more and talk less"

Dean

Then use this as your first post. I don't know how I am suppose to gather all of this information from your original statistics. I realize there was an outcry with rule changes but how many fans really stopped going to shows besides the 10 radicals on this board who once claimed they will never support DCI again? There is no solid evidence that a fan base was lost. It could also be argued that for every one "Legacy Fan" that was lost, there were two new customers because the shows were more engaging for young students who were used to electronics already being used in WGI and BOA. There isn't evidence to support that either.

However, I do need to come back and edit this post because I don't want to sound like a complete jerk. This is because I DO agree with your observation of how drum corps has, in some cases, devalued communities in their local area and instead have embraced the opposite platform. Who am I to say that the opposite platform of shipping kids in from all over the place and having auditions hundreds of miles from your offices should be stopped, it is just the way the activity has evolved.

Edited by Crassissimo

I am sure there are many that stopped coming that don't even follow DCP. One area both DCI and DCA could do better is more tracking of what their fans do. I've said that many times