Finals

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citations aren't going out at all this summer, and not sure about SCV

Edited by drummer79

Citations have already announced 2010 as an inactive season. SCV Cadets don't usually go out every year, but we won't know until they make an announcement. So let's just wait and see.

DCI may finally be getting what it wants, JUST World Class, and even then, only the 8 biggest names...

Sarcastic "pot shots" like this really need to stop, in my opinion. What DCI wants, as I understand it, is for there to be thriving drum corps run as efficient businesses providing an experience of enduring value to their members, volunteers and staff members... in line with their respective missions. Drum Corps International has about as much jurisdiction over the operations and decisions made by corps management as AAA does over which car you drive. Both are merely associations with rules, guidelines and opportunities for their members.

Comments like yours, again in my opinion, are tired, unfunny and do nothing to contribute to moving things forward. If you'd care to debate this further, please feel free to send me a private message.

Sarcastic "pot shots" like this really need to stop, in my opinion. What DCI wants, as I understand it, is for there to be thriving drum corps run as efficient businesses providing an experience of enduring value to their members, volunteers and staff members... in line with their respective missions. Drum Corps International has about as much jurisdiction over the operations and decisions made by corps management as AAA does over which car you drive. Both are merely associations with rules, guidelines and opportunities for their members.

Comments like yours, again in my opinion, are tired, unfunny and do nothing to contribute to moving things forward. If you'd care to debate this further, please feel free to send me a private message.

I fully agree with Bob here. DCI wants all corps to thrive and be successful. It is the individual corps management that make the decision whether or not to attend finals week. If a corps chooses not to attend based on financial reasons, they are making a smart business decision to stay financially sound and stable. After being able to sit in front of the Executive Board this past week, they are all looking out for every corps best interest and wanting to make the entire organization of DCI a solid group of corps that will all survive now and into the future.

Citations aren't going out at all this summer, and not sure about SCV, but from what I heard, there are only 14 open class groups going to finals this year.

Isn't that number a bit high? My prediction is that we will see just 12 corps in 2010's open-class finals.

(wait for it....)

Now, how many are going to quarterfinals?

I have a feeling that 14 is a very silly number. If this were the worst possible year ever for OC corps attending Quarterfinals I think the lowest it would probably drop to is 17, and that's if this "trend" is as bad as it can get.

I hope to see 19 coming out again.

From last year Quarter finals:

1 Blue Devils B 93.550

2 Vanguard Cadets 92.250

3 Citations 91.200 --Inactive 2010

4 Teal Sound 89.100 -- World Class

5 Capital Regiment 87.600

6 Revolution 87.550

7 Raiders 87.300

8 Oregon Crusaders 85.600

9 Velvet Knights 82.100

10 Memphis Sound 81.050 -- Inactive 2010

11 Legends 81.000

12 7th Regiment 80.100

13 Music City 79.450

14 Colt Cadets 77.850

15 Dutch Boy 75.300

16 Racine Scouts 74.300

17 Les Stentors 68.000

18 Spirit of Newark/New Jersey 65.450

19 Blue Saints 55.150

There's 15 on the prospective list for returning.. Plus you have Forte (building off of Memphis Sound), Spartans, Spokane Thunder, Genesis (building off of Mystikal), Platinum, Chippewa Valley Brigade, and perhaps some other applying for DCI status. Not sure if Impulse is going to championships this year, they have in the past. Gold and Incognito haven't been to finals yet, perhaps they will sometime?

so I highly doubt we'll be at 14

so I highly doubt we'll be at 14

Stop being logical. :withstupid:

When will you guys be added to the schedule? Do you have to go through the full eval since it's pretty much a name change only or what?

I fully agree with Bob here. DCI wants all corps to thrive and be successful. It is the individual corps management that make the decision whether or not to attend finals week. If a corps chooses not to attend based on financial reasons, they are making a smart business decision to stay financially sound and stable. After being able to sit in front of the Executive Board this past week, they are all looking out for every corps best interest and wanting to make the entire organization of DCI a solid group of corps that will all survive now and into the future.

I think it's pretty easy for both of you to make this statement seeing how one corps is getting paid to perform at DCI shows as a World Class Corps and the other is about to become a World Class Corps. Doing 15-20 shows a year and getting paid to be there makes a difference rather than 15 shows a year and not getting paid but maybe once or twice if your get to perform at a World Class Show.

Both of your organizations took the same long road these smaller corps continue to do every year to give kids a chance to march and perform at a higher level. You have had success in recruiting and you have been able to put out larger corps to compete with the likes of Pioneer, Pacific Crest, Cascades, Mandarins and Spirit, and as your organizations grow, you will become more successfull and maybe make it to Friday Night of Finals week and maybe someday into the top 12.

But if you want the "tired" attitude to go away, then maybe DCI should look at supporting the smaller organizations and treat them as a partner in growing to become either a World Class Corps or build the Open Class Division as a group of corps that can actually help the activity grow too. If you want all of this to go away, help these corps out publicly, show these doubters that you are making an effort, rather than it trickling out on DCP. Use DCI.org as a tool to help these corps recruit. Why are some many kids traveling to march in DCA Corps instead of a DCI corps? Get Gibbs, Hopkins and a few more other World Class Directors to put together training sessions via the web or at the meetings to help these Open Class corps learn a little more. You have to invest in your community if you want it to grow. If you do this, then Open Corps can't complain anymore and they can't blame anyone anymore.

Edited by CT-Horn