Privacy in Corps? Or lack thereof?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, there's another aspect of drum corps showers that I miss - they were so open! Just about all of the showers we used were basically big open rooms with showerheads, which gave you plenty of room to move around and wash (unless, of course, it was packed with people...). Here in college, we have tiny stalls that are so cramped you have to be an acrobat to rinse anything below your waist :tongue:

is there remotely any privacy in any corps?

(such as for showering?)

or is it something you just have to deal with...?

I understand where you're coming from; I was also pretty shy before I marched drum corps. My first drum corps camp was when I was a sophomore in high school, and I wasn't hyped at all about taking showers with dudes older than me. But after a couple of camps I got used to it (though I didn't end up marching that year due to money issues).

Typically at camps, the other guys are thinking:

1) it's really early/late and I'm super tired

2) it's nice to see all of my homies again (for the vets)

3) I'm REALLY worried about making the corps (newbies)

When I actually did end up marching a few years later, I didn't even think about it. You get used to it pretty quit.

DON'T be that rookie who's too nervous to shower and ends up smelling funky by Saturday night/Sunday morning! That's worse than being the typical rookie obviously uncomfortable in the showers with the guys (at least that type of rookie is the norm, vs. the smelly one who doesn't shower)

Oh, I can beat that. How about two toilets - with stalls - but the dividing wall between the two was missing. So two crappers in one big stall!

But it get's better!

There was a school in Ohio(?) that had toilets facing each other! So it was like you were in a showdown with the guy right across from you!

I'm laughing at the thought of two drummers in an intense stare down to see who goes first/who is the stinkiest!

Funny

You know you're in for a really bad shower experience when the directions to the shower go like this:

"Alright, you go down the hall, take a left, go down to the double doors. Go outside and walk to the end of the sidwalk...

and then walk in the direction of the screaming."

That's a true description and that's really how I found the shower once when I was in Sky Ryders. :tongue:

I can think of at least 4 or 5 times where i found the showers by listenning for the screaming. I also remember one time staying at the show site in 2006, when I was literally the last one in the shower, still naked (it was a locker facility seperate from the school), and the judges for the show came in to drop off their stuff / use the bathroom. Just a little awkward.....

*Judges, are you watching???* :tongue:

There was a day on tour in 05 where, after a show, we (Blue Knights) and Blue Devils had to shower together. If that wasn't weird, nothing on tour is.

The funniest thing I've ever seen during the showers was when someone was shampooing their hair, and as they were rinsing it off, someone else started to pour more shampoo on his head. After a minute he just shouted "Holy crap! How much shampoo did I use!" It was hilarious!

The funniest thing I've ever seen during the showers was when someone was shampooing their hair, and as they were rinsing it off, someone else started to pour more shampoo on his head. After a minute he just shouted "Holy crap! How much shampoo did I use!" It was hilarious!

The classics never die.

I can think of at least 4 or 5 times where i found the showers by listenning for the screaming. I also remember one time staying at the show site in 2006, when I was literally the last one in the shower, still naked (it was a locker facility seperate from the school), and the judges for the show came in to drop off their stuff / use the bathroom. Just a little awkward.....

*Judges, are you watching???* :thumbup:

In 08 we shared a site with Le Stentors. They were all screaming in the bathroom and we thought it was a weird hype thing. During our EPL we found out WHY they were screaming. Cold doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on those showers...

My best advice would just try not to be awkward although your first time showering with strangers is going to be.

If you walk in the shower, do your business, and maybe chit chat a little without pulling a peeping tom with other members,

your shower time will be quite enjoyable. Or if you just choose to wash yourself and get out no questions asked that works too.

Just don't be like "Oh man, naked people." because...well...it's drum corps. You'll pretty much be naked at rehearsal.

There was a day on tour in 05 where, after a show, we (Blue Knights) and Blue Devils had to shower together. If that wasn't weird, nothing on tour is.

I liked using the showers in giants stadium....which came equipped with shampoo / body wash dispensers. If you cupped your hand just right, you could get a huge glob of the stuff in it, and with a flick of the wrist, launch it into an unsuspecting victim. My favorite was to nail somebody right AFTER they got out, and were dried off :thumbup: