Any word on any acoustic plans for Lucas Oil Stadium?

They hung more curtains in the endzones for BOA I believe.... I was told it didn't help AT ALL. The place is just too ####### big.

They hung curtains in the north endzone (where the big windows are) only. The south endzone was left open, maybe because they used it to shoot pictures of the bands after they performed in prelims.

Maybe they will be in both zones for DCI?

I attended both the DCI finals and BOA. To my ears the sound was considerably BETTER this past weekend. I don't know if the additional curtain helped as much as the fact that we moved from the 50 on level 3 for DCI to the 50 on level 1 for BOA.

Certainly not as good for the visual, but definitely better for sound.

I think the addition of the curtains shows that they are still working to make things better.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solution found...

749px-Wrecking_ball.jpg

Do it quick before the Indiana band folks become too attached . . . it'll be easier that way. When I expressed my joy at the destruction of that POS RCA Dome they acted as though I told them I enjoyed drop-kicking kittens.

Better yet, just knock off the top part. That'll eliminate the twin abominations of indoor drum corps and indoor football, and it'll still be a pretty cool stadium. At least until it rains.

DCI takes pictures in the same spot... so who knows...

Anyway... is it possible that DCI will spend more money trying to fix the place (if they try) then they actually saved?

My friends who were there in West Chester's band said it was the exact same feeling on the field... dead.. you can't here the person next to you. And the didn't notice and change in the echo... I don't know where they were sitting, or where they were during DCI.

Anyway in another thread, someone said those curtains only absorb high sounds? I think... so the low sounds will still be all boomy? or the other way around, haha.

The LOS is an indoor venue. A big one. There is no way short of filling half the place with Styrofoam that will reduce the echo. If you can't stand the echo, don't come. It's as simple as that. As somebody who marching and watched shows in the RCA Dome, the LOS is significantly better. One thing that would help this-and something that would enhance shows-would be for corps to let big hits breathe more-let there be like a 4-8 count pause after a cutoff. Let the stadium speak. And then move on. Corps have to adapt to change and I know they will. So make the best of it or don't go. And for goodness sake, these threads about the LOS being an inadequate venue are getting rather tiresome. Rant about another dead horse now.

agree about the pause, but here's my point to prove yet more hypocrisy:

we were told going in these people knew the place...the best and brightest of BOA, the end all be all of marching musical organizations when you read the DCI press releases. if these people truly knew the venue, they would have planned a lot better.

What will suck is when they do, because the outdoor shows, aka 90% of the summer tour, will be impactless

I agree that Lucas, short of something miraculous, can not be fixed sound-wise, and yes, it is indoor.........the craziest thing is that people approved of this venue in the 1st place.....don't worry, I (and many others) won't be there.....I will go to shows and support the corps, but to shell out tons of bucks for the sound in this place is not something I am doing again. You make suggestions, but the sound is hopeless....when the hornline changes from one chord to the next, regardless of articulation or tempo, the bleed is enormous.....and we won't even talk about percussion.............there is no "adaptation" that is going to make this place sound adequate.........DCI has been told.............if they decide to hold on to Lucas, I don't want to hear them "blame the economy" when they have 8,000 people at finals in a year or two.......and I will continue to rant, as it is wrong for a handful of well-meaning but ignorant individuals to ignore a blatant problem, and one that could cause great harm to the activity, which has been part of my life for nearly 35 years.

GB

win times trillionty

Here in Indiana there are lots of people in the pageantry business who have become inured to the hideous acoustics of domes.

Its all just a little bit of history repeating isn't it?

Werent arrangers of the 90s #####ing about how they wanted 3 valve horns to complete the chromatic scale? Aren't designers looking to incorporate everything but the kitchen sink into shows nowadays?

So, why would we go somewhere where we put a limit on what we can do? Money. Just like the Bb switch. Its not the tuning, or the amount of time taken to learn music, or the rain frying electricals, or the wind disturbing the guard. Its all about the green.

Its all just a little bit of history repeating isn't it?

Werent arrangers of the 90s #####ing about how they wanted 3 valve horns to complete the chromatic scale? Aren't designers looking to incorporate everything but the kitchen sink into shows nowadays?

So, why would we go somewhere where we put a limit on what we can do? Money. Just like the Bb switch. Its not the tuning, or the amount of time taken to learn music, or the rain frying electricals, or the wind disturbing the guard. Its all about the green.

accept if attendance goes down, there is less money

accept if attendance goes down, there is less money

I dont see this as happening short of a formal movement and boycott.

Not going to happen. People are still going to go, because they want to. Even if the sound sucks.

Sure, it'll be a few thousand less, but at least DCI saved on office space.

Yeah... DCI dropped the ball on this one. All intent was good, but I don't think they realized the mess they got themselves into... hopefully they can survive on CD/DVD sales, since they come out somewhat decent...