Just when you think DCI can't #### you off anymore...

Thats why, even as I sit here debating the subject, I'm pretty sure there is no answer. You point out the problems with just saying its the 'experience' that matters, I've pointed out the problems with trying to define it by era or instrumentation. Both systems seem inherently flawed. I think the people who have been calling it banana may have been right all along...

The term " Marching Band " is NOT in of itself a pjorative term. It is a neutral term. What one assigns to that, is there own personal judgement. That is based upon personal experiences, and personal perceptions..

But it seeems to me that if a musical unit has guitars, singers, solo and entourage dancers, synthesizers, amplifyers, voice overs , narrators, etc it would be a " Band "..... if the members " March " a portion of the show ( ie " " march " meaning members having uniform movements in step ) than it would seem to me that the unit is a " Marching Band ".

" Drum and Bugle Corps " could be described as such because " Drums " and " Bugles " made up the vast number of instruments in the unit. A " Guard " was an adjunct.... and auxilllary back up component to the " Drums" and "the Bugles " in the musical unit.

When a musical unit goes beyond the Percussive and Brass elements, and utilizes Guard as featured elements in the presentation, with Persussion and Brass sharing equal weight with Dance, the musical unit identification naturally changes. Furthermore, when guitars are added, singers are added, trumpets replace bugles, sound synthesizers are added to augment sound, and brass and percussion are co components in the show presentation, the unit(s) can be correctly termed " Marching Band ". The fact that SOME elements of the " Drums ", ie Drum and Bugle Corps are retained does not mean that these new units do not fall more appropriately into the " Marching Band " realm. At least this is how I would decribe these units today. And again, the term DCI " Marching Bands " is not ( in my mind ) a pjorative term connoting a negative at all. It just describes in my view what these units are. And I like some of these DCI " Marching Bands " too.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term " Marching Band " is NOT in of itself a pjorative term. It is a neutral term. What one assigns to that, is there own personal judgement. That is based upon personal experiences, and personal perceptions..

But it seeems to me that if a musical unit has guitars, singers, solo and entourage dancers, synthesizers, amplifyers, voice overs , narrators, etc it would be a " Band "..... if the members " March " a portion of the show ( ie " " march " meaning members having uniform movements in step ) than it would seem to me that the unit is a " Marching Band ".

" Drum and Bugle Corps " could be described as such because " Drums " and " Bugles " made up the vast number of instruments in the unit. A " Guard " was an adjunct.... and auxilllary back up component to the " Drums" and "the Bugles " in the musical unit.

When a musical unit goes beyond the Percussive and Brass elements, and utilizes Guard as featured elements in the presentation, with Persussion and Brass sharing equal weight with Dance, the musical unit identification naturally changes. Furthermore, when guitars are added, singers are added, trumpets replace bugles, sound synthesizers are added to augment sound, and brass and percussion are co components in the show presentation, the unit(s) can be correctly termed " Marching Band ". The fact that SOME elements of the " Drums ", ie Drum and Bugle Corps are retained does not mean that these new units do not fall more appropriately into the " Marching Band " realm. At least this is how I would decribe these units today. And again, the term DCI " Marching Bands " is not ( in my mind ) a pjorative term connoting a negative at all. It just describes in my view what these units are. And I like some of these DCI " Marching Bands " too.

Still going? Just because you dont intend to use a term in a negative manner doesnt mean it doesnt come off as such (although it bothers me less and less). If intentions determined perception, im pretty sure we would have acheived peace in the middle east a long time ago.

It's ok though, at least I got to marched one year of drum corps (in 2003). It's too bad my dci championship ring is actually a mbi championship ring. I've been been meaning to get it cleaned anyway....maybe I can have them change the inscription while they're at it. :tongue:

Drum Corps is:

-) Excellence

-) Acoustic (oops)

-) Outdoors (oops)

-) Loud

Oh well, as long as it's loud and excellent, I'm in!

I have 3 of the 4 (I have yet to attend an indoor show...and dont really plan to anytime soon, as none of the indoor shows are near me). Like you said....excellent and loud, is fine for me....call it whatever...

Still going? Just because you dont intend to use a term in a negative manner doesnt mean it doesnt come off as such (although it bothers me less and less). If intentions determined perception, im pretty sure we would have acheived peace in the middle east a long time ago.

It's ok though, at least I got to marched one year of drum corps (in 2003). It's too bad my dci championship ring is actually a mbi championship ring. I've been been meaning to get it cleaned anyway....maybe I can have them change the inscription while they're at it. :tongue:

And to be fair,I do recognize the difference between the DCI " Marching Band " and the typical High School and College " Marching Band " that is out there. ( although the lines are getting more blurred it seems to me with each passing year ). I also believe that the Carolina Crown member understands the difference as well between the University " Marching Band " she is a member of, and her marching experience in DCI that she describes as likewise in the " Marching Band " realm. I still think many of these DCI Marching Bands do lots of hip and cool things, more so than a lot of College and High School Bands currently do. Otherwise, I wouldn't still be following the activity and going to shows.

Edited by BRASSO

Ah, but here's the rub. A banana is a banana. Pretty sure if you hold it up to 90% of the people in the world they will know precisely what it is. Funny as it is, that so many people like to talk about banana's, it begs the question, "How come when anyone see's a banana they know it's a banana?" I mean, if you changed it genetically to be round, orange and grow on a tree would it still BE a banana?

you know what they say about dudes who keep talking about banana's dont you?

Are you going to Finals anytime in the next 8 years?

Didnt plan on it....no. Maybe in 2012, if thats the year when its elsewhere. As long as the corps are near the top of their game at allentown, and it continues to be the week before finals, i see know reason to spend huge amounts of money on hotel, airfare, and overpriced show tickets when i can see all the same shows in a much better environment. Maybe if things improve in indy, or someone buys me a ticket on the 50 where (i have heard) that the sound is ok. Otherwise...not really a priority for me.

you know what they say about dudes who keep talking about banana's dont you?

LOL, probably something about little blue wonder pills...but I wasn't gonna go there!

Ah, but here's the rub. A banana is a banana. Pretty sure if you hold it up to 90% of the people in the world they will know precisely what it is. Funny as it is, that so many people like to talk about banana's, it begs the question, "How come when anyone see's a banana they know it's a banana?" I mean, if you changed it genetically to be round, orange and grow on a tree would it still BE a banana?

Then again, plantains look like bananas..... :tongue: