Just WOW

Maybe you would have been ok with any one of 5 corps winning it all, but I don't think there were 5 drum corps that could have won, or should have. The Blue Devils were so far past everybody else, and it took so long for Crown's show to get complete and clean enough to come across right to the judges, and Cadets show was just not going to win. They couldn't get that show clean enough visually, and that was pretty much it. Cavaliers absolutely should not have won, and the same goes for Vanguard. Cavies were a dirt sandwich and Vanguard's visual rep. was barely box 5 until it was too late. So while you might be ok with 5 different champs, a lot of other people definitely would not have.

As for 16 corps deserving to be top 12, thats where this thread really gets absurd. Listen, I know that your just appreciating what the kids and the corps put on the field, but I have a hard time thinking that anyone who could not beat the Troopers deserves to be in finals. Troopers show was barely a finalist show itself, and groups like the Colts(band show) and the Academy, were nice, but those aren't finalist quality shows, plain and simple. They weren't finalist quality shows all season long and finals was no different. And I hope that by 16 corps, you are not including Spirit, Madison, or Crossmen. Those are shows that I was embarrassed to watch all season long. These formerly great drum corps finalists stooping to this kind of crap was hard to watch. None of these three shows should have ever been considered finalists.

I know that this is just my opinion, but there were not 5 possible champions, not from day one, not all season long, and not on finals night. And there were definitely only 12 finalist drum corps this year. Thats why they put the rest on another DVD, because they aren't on the same level as the top 12.

CB why'd you have to ruin it

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be possible that drum corps (like other competitive activities/sports) is experiencing more parity than ever before with fewer distinct levels of ability?

Edited by bmroth1

I'm pretty sure he's predicting that VK will have a great year next year.

:ph34r::blink:

Wow...drifting off topic? What's new....

Anyway....I do agree that WOW! 2009 was an awesome year for me performing. I just watched our finals show for the 13th time on facebook....and the best parts I felt of the season was just seeing the crowd jump in the air every night. Maybe our show wasn't clean enough for finals, but as far as what I got out of it, I will talk about 2009 until I die.

And it was really a pleasure to compete with BD every now and then (and especially Crown). I'm sure the members of Crown are pleased with how much they have achieved over the season (and over the past several years), and it was exciting to see SCV running in the top 5 again.

I guess this past season I had nothing but respect for the rivals, as well as those below us. The bronze medal doesn't matter; the journey matters even more.

Plus, I need to see all the other shows and at least enjoy them for what they are and not what they don't have (or what they have and I don't like). Everyone's worked super hard at their absolute best....what more could you want?

That's all.

Edited by bccadet09

Anyway....I do agree that WOW! 2009 was an awesome year for me performing. I just watched our finals show for the 13th time on facebook....and the best parts I felt of the season was just seeing the crowd jump in the air every night. Maybe our show wasn't clean enough for finals, but as far as what I got out of it, I will talk about 2009 until I die.

And it was really a pleasure to compete with BD every now and then (and especially Crown). I'm sure the members of Crown are pleased with how much they have achieved over the season (and over the past several years), and it was exciting to see SCV running in the top 5 again.

I guess this past season I had nothing but respect for the rivals, as well as those below us. The bronze medal doesn't matter; the journey matters even more.

Plus, I need to see all the other shows and at least enjoy them for what they are and not what they don't have (or what they have and I don't like). Everyone's worked super hard at their absolute best....what more could you want?

That's all.

I can understand if someone doesn't like a general show concept, or how it ultimately succeeds or fails to be a memorable show by Finals night. But for the people who complain about and belittle corps over their technical/playing/marching capabilities, I feel truly sorry for them that they never had the chance to march a drum corps show in recent years. There is a significant difference in effort between watching a drum corps show online and actually pushing the activity to the limit with mental and physical demands on that field for 12 minutes. Even now, with the beginning of the 2010 season around the corner, I look back on 2009 and think "How the HECK did we pull that off?"

To the folks who complain about "brass book lite edition", "falls at finals", and "visual cleanliness": I'd bet you my ageout-year drill spot that you'd be changing your commentary if you attempted to march and play the book we did.

To bccadet09, I agree with you 100%. It was a pleasure marching with you this past summer. FHNSAB.

Edited by Bryan

My thoughts on 2009... (somebody is bound to pick on something I say)

DVDs/CDs- Audio is wonderful. Whoever DCI paid to do the engineering for the CD/DVD was professional grade. First of all, the LOS itself presented so many difficulties, that they must have paid him/her a lot to do this. I'll assume that this was the reasoning behind keeping the price, why its two discs, and why there is a lack of judges audio and various past camera angles. I would have to say that even if DCI moves from Luk Oil, to keep the engineer. There is always background noise at every stadium and various issues as well. That, and most professional ensembles have an audio engineer check and adjust the quality of audio for release to consumers and, well, fans.

Favorite shows-

Blue Devils, (yeah, I changed. best BD show of the decade. 07 sucked. this show was great music. im not found of the visual element of their show, but i noticed that bd did move around quite a lot, and their were plenty of exposed individual timing elements that couldve gone horribly wrong with the chairs. however, music design-wise, wayne downey, i love you.)

Cadets, (killer visuals, awesome music, good use of piano and movie vocals from wss. exciting ride. i wish that they found a new ending for their shows though. they've ended 07-09 with the same Mm7(i think) arpegiation/company front-unfolding-refolding-company front-forward march loud chord)

Santa Clara Vanguard, (Awesome show, especially the trumpet/baritone duet on simple gifts in the middle into the drum feature, and the company front/vanguard toast impact)

Boston Crusaders, (I loved it, except for the apple-biting patch they used. couldve been handled better if they mic'd a pit member eating an apple, im dead serious. electronics dont always equal realistic sound. this is the biggest hurdle that drum corps must face. other than that, i loved the guard uniforms :ph34r:)

Troopers (YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY, back in finals!!! awesome show. loved the guard, they really added to the presence of the corps and helped add a lot to the understanding of the show itself.)

Some thoughts-

1.) Stop playing WEST SIDE STORY!!! 3 finalist corps used music from West Side Story this year. Crown used Maria. Why? You played music from WSS last year too, Crown. Jeesh.

2.) Electronics... I think that its a good thing. This is coming from a hardcore drum corps nut. I think that, when you look at it, nothings really changed. pianos are percussion instruments, right? well, keyboards are percussion, look at mallets. the only real change this decade has been the elimination of G and the adding of an electrical current through equipment that we've already been using. vocals have been in DCI since the cadets stunt in the 70s. now, they are amplified like everything else. DCI has come into the age of electricity. well, i loved the shows, so it seems cool to me.

3.) Don't add woodwind lines to my solid brass sound. I was just imagining what DCI would sound/look like with woodwinds integrated into drill. yet, even with the addition of woodwinds to the pit, my imagination went to star of indiana 1991, when a mallet player from the pit joined the drill and regiment 2006, when trumpet players picked up baritones. the temptation would be there. but, in the setting of the outdoor arena, you could never get the sound balanced properly, even if you mic'd the woodwinds, because you would be trying to emulate a balance of an orchestra or wind ensemble, that you wouldn't be able to do properly, with a primarily humongous brass and percussion choir. DONT DO IT, DONT TRY IT, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

Keep it illegal.