NHL Winter Classic- Fenway Park on New Year's Day

This is bound to be the most unbelieveable news to hit this forum in many a day. No, I don't mean the fact that an ice rink will be built in the middle of fabled Fenway Park- home of the Red Sox, and that the Boston Bruins will face off against the Philadelphia Flyers on New Year's Day. The unbelieveable part is that the Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston will join forces with the St. Kevin Emerald Knights to perform a selection as an intro to the Drop Kick Murphy's who will play their hit, "I'm Shipping Up to Boston." BAC and SKEK were great rivals in the 1960's but have grown closer as a combination of maturity and senility has inflicted their members. The corps now actually like each other!

It should be a memorable event and we'll have to see if the temperature has an effect on the valves of the brass players.

For me, personally, I'll have to miss it because I previously had made plans to be in Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl Parade. It's tough giving up an exciting January day in frozen Fenway to smell the roses in sunny California, but like they say, someone's got to do it!

Reminder, the Crusaders Senior Corps' first Open House is this Sunday (Dec. 6) at 1:00pm at the Malden VFW on Crystal St. Malden. :cool::cool:

Edited by Bossop

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brrrrrr I get the chills just thinking about it....being in the cold that is!

NO WAY! OMG! I wish I could be there!!!! Have a great time!

This is bound to be the most unbelieveable news to hit this forum in many a day. No, I don't mean the fact that an ice rink will be built in the middle of fabled Fenway Park- home of the Red Sox, and that the Boston Bruins will face off against the Philadelphia Flyers on New Year's Day. The unbelieveable part is that the Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston will join forces with the St. Kevin Emerald Knights to perform a selection as an intro to the Drop Kick Murphy's who will play their hit, "I'm Shipping Up to Boston." BAC and SKEK were great rivals in the 1960's but have grown closer as a combination of maturity and senility has inflicted their members. The corps now actually like each other!

It should be a memorable event and we'll have to see if the temperature has an effect on the valves of the brass players.

For me, personally, I'll have to miss it because I previously had made plans to be in Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl Parade. It's tough giving up an exciting January day in frozen Fenway to smell the roses in sunny California, but like they say, someone's got to do it!

You are so right Art. This is very exciting news. It's too bad that you are going to miss the event.

The last time the Crusaders and St. Kevin's apeared together at Fenway Park was the 67 Legion Nationals.

Although many members of both corps participate with the MA. "Legends" corps, this will be the first time the two former bitter rivals will join forces as one unit. I don't think we could have done that 40 years ago. If you remember back to 67 we had problems just setting up for the parade.

I'm looking forward to performing again at Fenway with so many friends in both corps even in the cold and standing in snow. We've been told that there will be snow inside Fenway, be it natural or man made.

Both corps will be learning the music at separate and combined rehearsals with one or two scheduled for Fenway.

I can't wait.

You are so right Art. This is very exciting news. It's too bad that you are going to miss the event.

The last time the Crusaders and St. Kevin's apeared together at Fenway Park was the 67 Legion Nationals.

Although many members of both corps participate with the MA. "Legends" corps, this will be the first time the two former bitter rivals will join forces as one unit. I don't think we could have done that 40 years ago. If you remember back to 67 we had problems just setting up for the parade.

I'm looking forward to performing again at Fenway with so many friends in both corps even in the cold and standing in snow. We've been told that there will be snow inside Fenway, be it natural or man made.

Both corps will be learning the music at separate and combined rehearsals with one or two scheduled for Fenway.

I can't wait.

And Don't forget that The St. Kevin Emerald Knights is having their "Open House" on Jan. 10 at the Fore River Clubhouse in Quincy, Ma. Come & dig the tunes ,eat , drink & just be part of a really fun bunch of people !

All the Best,

Mike D.

I can't wait.

Back in the sixties, many of the corps were comprised of tough inner city kids, and once in a while their rivalries got out of hand. Today, inner city kids don't even join drum corps, and every day, the newspaper tells of the tragic ways they settle their differences.

As for alumni corps members, we are older, smarter, and have a more worldly view of things. Plus many of our members were never even part of the old rivalries. Of our 50 horns, only five were ever in the Crusaders junior corps. And most of them have played with the SKEK folks in Legends. Modern drum corps people are part of a kinder, gentler nation!

Brrrrrr I get the chills just thinking about it....being in the cold that is!

Go Boston..both drum corps and hockey??? Heaven I'm in Heaven....looking forward to seeing this!!!! :cool:

Go Boston..both drum corps and hockey??? Heaven I'm in Heaven....looking forward to seeing this!!!! :cool:

Freakin' awesome! Should be an absolute blast.

(Now if only we could get the networks to cover all the great extra curricular activities so that the more sedate of us could enjoy the whole thing from the warmth of our family room couch...)

Edited by kstein

that's amazing... can you get me some tickets? haha :cool:

Freakin' awesome! Should be an absolute blast.

(Now if only we could get the networks to cover all the great extra curricular activities so that the more sedate of us could enjoy the whole thing from the warmth of our family room couch...)

I really think the TV coverage is going to be good as far as showing the Drum Corps this time .I am hearing fifteen cameras .Don't forget that St. Kevins & Crusaders will be playing a long intro composed by an NHL music guy .That intro will lead up to the "Dropkick Murphys" singing "Shipping up to Boston" .I don't think this show is going to get chopped up too much with talk ! Fenway will be ROCKING !!!!! TUNE IN .........I think there might be a hockey game too.

Mike D.

St.Kevins