Drum Corps scholarships

But would you? Would you pay for him to march BD instead of BK?

I wouldn't where I would for him to stay at BK.

HH

I don't know. If it was a family member (completely hypothetical since nobody in my family is eligible) I could see myself doing that if they had really good reasons, but I would probably have tried to talk them into staying at BK for hours on end first. So, I guess the answer is "probably not, except in extreme circumstances."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to appoint a supreme overlord to decide where people can march since it's not favorable for some to let them decide for themselves.

I volunteer for the post. I will delegate.

Or we can just let people with unique circumstances figure out how to march where they want, and acknowledge that exactly nobody has to donate money to anybody they don't want to for whatever reason. If the marcher can't afford to go where they want, they'll be among the very first to know it.

:tongue:

Can this person also decide the definition of Drum Corps, decide what makes a ring chaser, and fix global war...err, climate change??

oh wait, theres already hundreds of people on dcp that apparently hold this position :tongue:

And I drive an older car for the last few years but this year I want a BMW because it will be more reliable and a better overall fit to my liking. I can afford the insurance and the gas, but who will help me make the payments. I deserve it because I am a good driver and it will help me be even better in the long run. Any help out there??????

DCP, where any example goes.... :tongue:

OKay, I read the first post and nothing else:

SHAME ON ANY OF YOU for having a problem that someone has to fly to a camp. (It's your money, I don't care how you spend it though).

SHAME ON ANY KID who pays to fly to be a bigdog, and then extends a hand for someone elses hard earned money. If you can't afford it DON'T DO IT. I think I read on here how all us old people extend ourselves too much then ask for a handout. What is this entire thread saying about the youth of today. "I want to fly thousands of miles, its my money, now give me your money so I can march too ...." :tongue:

I flew to a corps that hasn't finished in finals since 2004. One of my local corps has been one of the most successful corps in drum corps history. Don't give me that bull ####.

So, you wanted this to be a thread to list scholarships? I really didn't get that from your opening post. It seemed to bring up a lot of the things people have been talking about in the thread.

Yeah....and as the OP, just ask for it to be closed if you dont like the direction....you can always start a new one and be more clear in your opening post

True, I did bring up a few important precursory issues to establish background and need (I am a researcher and that is how I present an argument). These were at first discussed, then were swallowed in a sea of ego. Here was the entire last HALF of my OP (notice my primary statement was put in BOLD so no one would miss my point...it obviously did not work):

I suppose the question I am asking is this: what are WE as an entire drum corps community who feel passionately about this activity doing about this? Are we making this a top priority or should we continue nebulous arguments about electronics and indoor stadium acoustics? If we can quickly raise $50K for fuel in a tight summer like we have done a couple of times now, can we not establish a "superfund" to support deserving kids who want to march but cannot because dues, travel, lost job time, etc. are too much in today's economy? How many have missed out on this amazing experience because of these factors, especially the economically disadvantaged who could use involvement in this kind of activity? Once upon a time, this was ALL drum corps was about.

I would like to know what corps have established, well-funded scholarship programs and if any of you were beneficiaries of those funds. I honestly do not know which corps make high priorities of this because we rarely hear about it. Yes, I know there are at least a couple of scholarships DCI gives that get announced at Finals, but that does not seem to help very many kids. Maybe there are more that do not get a lot of publicity...I hope so.

So....SHOW ME THE MONEY DCP!

If you know of these scholarships, if for nothing else then maybe we could list them in this thread to help out others who are looking for help. If you know of another website that lists these, please post that as well.

When I give to a homeless person, I do not ask them not to spend it on drugs, booze or cigarettes, though I hope and pray they do not. However, MONEY is not what I am really trying to give to that person but love and hope. That is what I want to give kids who want to march corps because it is what corps gave me and continues to give me.

To those who have said you have given or are giving, thank you.

I honestly think you'll get better research data by emailing the corps directly.

I know that the Troopers Alumni Association gives partial scholarships. I don't have any specifics about how the funds are allocated and how many members benefit from this fund each year. (I could find that out for you, but again you'll probably get that information faster via an email to each corps.)

True, I did bring up a few important precursory issues to establish background and need (I am a researcher and that is how I present an argument). These were at first discussed, then were swallowed in a sea of ego. Here was the entire last HALF of my OP (notice my primary statement was put in BOLD so no one would miss my point...it obviously did not work):

I suppose the question I am asking is this: what are WE as an entire drum corps community who feel passionately about this activity doing about this? Are we making this a top priority or should we continue nebulous arguments about electronics and indoor stadium acoustics? If we can quickly raise $50K for fuel in a tight summer like we have done a couple of times now, can we not establish a "superfund" to support deserving kids who want to march but cannot because dues, travel, lost job time, etc. are too much in today's economy? How many have missed out on this amazing experience because of these factors, especially the economically disadvantaged who could use involvement in this kind of activity? Once upon a time, this was ALL drum corps was about.

I would like to know what corps have established, well-funded scholarship programs and if any of you were beneficiaries of those funds. I honestly do not know which corps make high priorities of this because we rarely hear about it. Yes, I know there are at least a couple of scholarships DCI gives that get announced at Finals, but that does not seem to help very many kids. Maybe there are more that do not get a lot of publicity...I hope so.

So....SHOW ME THE MONEY DCP!

If you know of these scholarships, if for nothing else then maybe we could list them in this thread to help out others who are looking for help. If you know of another website that lists these, please post that as well.

When I give to a homeless person, I do not ask them not to spend it on drugs, booze or cigarettes, though I hope and pray they do not. However, MONEY is not what I am really trying to give to that person but love and hope. That is what I want to give kids who want to march corps because it is what corps gave me and continues to give me.

To those who have said you have given or are giving, thank you.

DCP, where any example goes.... :tongue:

Especially when it is as close to an analogy as it gets. I don't have "enough" to have my dream car ( march my dream corps) but if only all the dinosaurs would just give it to me, after all it is my decision to march my dream corps that I can't afford, everyone should respect that and give me money. :tongue: Now when is everyone going to send me the money to get my dream car, I deserve it. If you don't help me you are just rude and inconsiderate to my specific situation. If you do help me, then maybe I will get back to you to let you know how it feels, ( unlike the kid I helped this summer ).

Edited by 84skyrydr