Drum Corps scholarships

True, it could be abused, but some pre-set rules/eligibility could be established. Also, I do not think that travel should necessarily be paid for out of a general scholarship fund. If the member can afford to get themselves there, then they are on a level "paying field" (sorry...that was lame) with everybody else.

My whole point was missed. If you can afford to "get yourself there" is taking the money you do have and spending it to go to your dream corps 2000 miles away. Instead of wasting that flight money and then asking for scholarships, you spend your money on the closest corps and then get scholarships, if needed. If you have enough to bypass your local corps, then I have nothing to give you, as you obviously don't need it. People form Hawaii and Alaska etc, there is a corps close to you. Not as close as say the midwest, but there is a corps close to you. The person traveled from Hawaii to South Carolina???????? Howe many corps were bypassed in that flight????????

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I’m in a no whiner’s mood today! What is the deal … does everyone want everything in world given to them? If you want to march in drum corps do what countless others have done … get a job and work your little fingers to the bone and save money. I sold chocolate bars, donuts, orange boxes, you name it I peddled it to make money. I mowed grass, plowed fields, and slopped the hogs, cleaned up horse manure, washed cars to make the money I needed. What have you done thus far?

If you want to march drum corps you will find a way to get the money together by working hard. This way you will feel that you’ve earned your way in and this will make you work twice as hard as being the best corps member you can be rather than someone giving you a blank check and you quitting when the summer gets hard.

:worthy:

I agree, work any type of job you can and make it work. I have had several students who have marched DCI world class corps and also marched with some PIW drumlines in WGI. So they had to pay 2 seperate fees a year. And being from California, their WGI drumline fees were expensive too, especially with going to Dayton every year. These kids worked odd jobs, taught private lessons to younger kids, and one kid even started cleaning houses to pay for her tours.

I agree with the original poster that some sort of community sponsorship/scholarship program would be great. But I also agree with the thought of "if there's a will there's a way".

If you want to march drum corps you will find a way to get the money together by working hard. This way you will feel that you’ve earned your way in and this will make you work twice as hard as being the best corps member you can be rather than someone giving you a blank check and you quitting when the summer gets hard.

Maybe I’m old and jaded, but so many young people today are looking for a hand out and won’t get off the couch and get out and earn your ride the old fashion way … WORK!

maybe I am young and jaded, but it seems to me that the problem with the country is that all the old people are looking for handouts and other people to pay their bills through social security and medicare... two government programs that old people demand more and more from that are completely bankrupt and relying on the young generation to fund, when those same services will not be there for them. Not to mention old people have ruined the economy with their "me me me" attitude so there aren't many jobs to be had right now. Just because there is color tv and internet doesn't mean the younger generation is lazy. You will be lucky when we are fixing the mess that you guys have left behind.

My whole point was missed. If you can afford to "get yourself there" is taking the money you do have and spending it to go to your dream corps 2000 miles away. Instead of wasting that flight money and then asking for scholarships, you spend your money on the closest corps and then get scholarships, if needed. If you have enough to bypass your local corps, then I have nothing to give you, as you obviously don't need it. People form Hawaii and Alaska etc, there is a corps close to you. Not as close as say the midwest, but there is a corps close to you. The person traveled from Hawaii to South Carolina???????? Howe many corps were bypassed in that flight????????

I'm not sure how it's up to anybody to decide that such a person is wasting their money by traveling to participate with a corps. If the person works to do it or has family with the money to pay for it, then there it is. It's up to them to decide if they're wasting anything.

I'm not sure how it's up to anybody to decide that such a person is wasting their money by traveling to participate with a corps. If the person works to do it or has family with the money to pay for it, then there it is. It's up to them to decide if they're wasting anything.

EXACTLY the point. At the same rate, don't look for handouts if you can afford to fly to your dream corps. Scholarships are based on NEED. I don't think anyone is wating their money on going to the corps of their choice, but I won't waste my money when they then can't seem to afford the dues of said corps.

maybe I am young and jaded, but it seems to me that the problem with the country is that all the old people are looking for handouts and other people to pay their bills through social security and medicare... two government programs that old people demand more and more from that are completely bankrupt and relying on the young generation to fund, when those same services will not be there for them. Not to mention old people have ruined the economy with their "me me me" attitude so there aren't many jobs to be had right now. Just because there is color tv and internet doesn't mean the younger generation is lazy. You will be lucky when we are fixing the mess that you guys have left behind.

I agree on the baby boomers being the "entitlement" group we all have to pay dearly for. But, I believe your generation is the "instant gratification" group. Look at all the people that try out for the corps they want to march and don't GO ANYWHERE else because there is no chance at top 12 or a ring.

It isn't up to anybody, but it is up to me. If it's my money you want to use, I have a right to decide whether and how.

I remember a couple of years back someone either on DCP or DCI.org writing about needing donations to pay drum corps tuition. Then he/she went on to mention unselfconciously the trip he/she was making for spring break in Florida or wherever. Now I know that person isn't everyone in need. I suspect, however, that lots of those in search of donation dollars aren't giving my largesse the priority it should have. One prominent example is unnecessary travel. I grant the the drum corps experience is special. I don't grant that the experience isn't available in lots of places and therefore won't support those who insist otherwise. I still donate - just in a different direction, if you will.

HH

Edited by glory

maybe I am young and jaded...

Maybe. Or maybe you just don't get it? Because what I see is whining and a victim's attitude. You'll find in time that attributing blame not only isn't a sustainable strategy, it's not even satisfying in the end. In the end, it takes work, which I think was the point.

HH

If you dont' want to donate, then don't.

If you only want to donate to NFPs that allow you to decide exactly where your donation goes, then good luck to you. You have every right to do that.

If you want to tell a corps that you don't want your money to go for scholarships that pay for air fare, you have a right to do that.

If the corps tells you they can't guarantee the money you donate will go where you want it to go, you have the right to not donate to them.

If enough people do the same as you, then a corps will be more likely to change their scholarship policy.

If it's an individual (say on our sponsor board) who isn't clear with what they're doing with your money to a level satisfactory to you, don't donate to them.

You have 100% control over what you do with your money.

You have no right to tell people they are wasting whatever money they have accumulated for their drum corps experience, though.