Capital Regiment Inactive

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey run right up the road to Marion where the director not only paid himself $36,000 a year for 4 years with no corps but at the end when the bingo workers walk out he took out a $10,000 loan to pay himself back money he says he was owed.Now the equipment has been sold by the bank and a building that should be a historical landmark for it's age sits empty with a forecloser sign in the yard.Some one needs to monitor these corps early and flag anything that looks odd.

Because this only happens in OC right???

DCI DID NOT TAKE OVER THE CORPS. EVER. They sent in someone to observe and thats what he did. He observed. He made no decisions, he gave no orders. He watched. That's it. Capital Regiment went inactive because of financial reasons due to a flood of expenses occuring all at once in the 2006 season. If most corps were managed half as well as Capital Regiment a lot of the corps we lost would still be around. If you think that Capital is alone here, you're out of your mind. Many of those corps people have mentioned here as being models of well run are in deeper holes than Capital. They have just kept it out of the news. The DCI model of drum corps is no longer sustainable. With the increased operational costs paired with increased difficulty of fund raising I am certain that DCI as we know it will be gone in 5-10 years. It kills me to think about this, but it's the realty of things.

Wrong! DCI sent Fred Morris in to run the rest of the tour in 2006. Fred told me so himself.

To say that CR is managed better than most corps is just ridiculous. There is a reason that nobody wants to work with him and people quit at the end of the season. If CR ever wants to have a chance to come back for good, they need to find someone else to run them who has some people skills and a clue about this activity.

Also, DCI is not going anywhere any time soon.

That's all fine and good, but if he's not willing to do what needs to be done at the most fundamental level of doing business as a non-profit--build a legitimate BoD and submit to being accountable to them--then I have to question his actions. No one has said that Rick wants to hurt the organization, and clearly that isn't the case; no one works as hard as he has all these years so he can undercut his own corps. I also understand where his reticience to be under that sort of accountability comes from, but we've seen now what happens without that in place. That's the attitude I'm referring to: "I want what's best for the corps, therefore I should be making all the decisions." No one's said "Rick Bays has malevolent intentions for Capital Regiment," but the argument is definitely supported that "Rick Bays' good intentions are not enough to support a World Class drum corps."

Well said.