Madison Scouts announce 2010 Drum Major and Horn Sergeant

Any relation to Jeff Lee?

It's his cousin, but should that matter?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all we need: Congress involved in DCI. Not only will Madison be forced to admit women, but they'll start forcing racial and ethnic quotas in memberships.

:smile:

My best guess: this kid's real good.

With all due respect to DM's...DM's aren't judged & scored.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm sure the dude is solid and will do a great job. I was just always under the impression that Madison picked a super-power vet to be DM. And after all we've heard about Madison returning to the "Madison Brand" this offseason...

I would like to see Madison actually return to Madison Wisconsin.

I would like to see Madison actually return to Madison Wisconsin.

Well. Yes. That would be nice, too.

I think that the break with tradition here (it would a similar break for any other corps, I'd bet) is only going to be as big of a problem as we the corps make it.

There's the correct answer.

Tradition is nice, but using it as an excuse to push away talented people who don't exactly "get it" doesn't do your group any service.

We had a rookie DM my age-out year who was just out of high school. It was the first time we had a rookie leader, so it took awhile to adjust. Yet, compared to the previous two DMs I marched under (both of whom had three years of experience under their belts), the rookie outclassed, outconducted, outled, outworked and out-everythinged the two "tried and true" vets.

I'm not saying there's one true approach to selecting a DM. Every year is different for every corps. But considering the proven talent and commitment of Lee, Madison will benefit.

John will do a great job. Being around him at the last couple of camps, I can say that he has impressed the members very favorably with his talents as well as his enthusiasm for the corps. I'm very excited to see what the Scouts will be able to do with him in front of them this season.

I think that the break with tradition here (it would a similar break for any other corps, I'd bet) is only going to be as big of a problem as we the corps make it. He'll have to adjust to the organization, yes, but he will learn, he will be helped along the way by the staff and the veteran members, and he will succeed magnificently.

So far, I have neither seen nor heard of any member of the corps who has a problem being led by John after having worked with him.

:smile:

I'm only one person so I can't speak for the rest of the corps, and I'm not a vet so I certainly can't speak for the vets, but John is a great guy, a great conductor and I know that he'll be a fantastic drum major. Similarly, Weedy (a vet) will be a great assistant DM, and Sean (a vet) will be one hell of a horn sergeant. And that's really all that matters, right?

My only worry is that the corps will turn to a different leader and take their orders from him (like assistant conductor or horn sarge). I've seen it happen in many organizations where an outsider steps up to lead and the group will reassign leadership.

But i'm sure the corps knows what they are doing, and will be smart and classy enough not to do such a thing.

Best of luck.