MYNWA,

Brent Turner

1987-2000 + 2007 Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps Association

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only worry is that the corps will turn to a different leader and take their orders from him (like assistant conductor or horn sarge). I've seen it happen in many organizations where an outsider steps up to lead and the group will reassign leadership.

But i'm sure the corps knows what they are doing, and will be smart and classy enough not to do such a thing.

Best of luck.

You dont have to worry about that.

Some of you keep saying he's a rookie DM. He may be a rookie to the Scouts, but not as a DM. He was at DM at BD. That gives him plenty of experience in conducting and in leadership. He will be fine, Scouts will be fine.

Shane

To switch this post just a little here is my question. When did Madison start having Horn Sergeants? Last year I was around the corps was in 2004 and Madison used the terms Drum Major and assistant conductor and that was the way it was all the way back to 1992 when I started with Madison.

In olden days the the assistant conductor was just the guy on the ladder in the back field and helped the pit get on and off the field, he had very very little of a leadership role.

Can anyone tell me what leadership type role a Horn Sgt has? In military terms the Sergeants are the ones carrying out the orders of the officers ... usually the sergeant's are doing all the work while the officer gets all the credit, and the brown rain always rolls downhill.

To switch this post just a little here is my question. When did Madison start having Horn Sergeants?

We had Horn Sergeants when I marched back in 89-90. It probably goes

back further than that. One of their roles was to call us to attention/parade rest

during retreats.

Jeff thanks for that ... I'm wondering if this horn sgt will also be the back field conductor and what other roles will he have. I'm racking my 50 yr old brain and I can never remember someone being called horn sgt from 92 to 04. I remember section leaders, etc, but not horn sgts.

There is almost always section leaders for each section in the brass line and then some corps have a Horn Sgt that is the leader of all the brass line. Most of the time he carries out protocal info with the other Section leaders and informs them when they are doing something wrong or when something could be fixed.

Most staff looks to the Horn Sgt to carry out certain things in arc so that there is NO confusion.