Drum Corps moments of the decade

2006, The Academy winning Division 2 after 3 very short years of existence, and undefeated..with about 30 performances under their belt.

I LOVED that show. :shutup:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Boston breaking out in song during "Red"

2. Seeing my son play his first public drum corps moment when he played "Georgia" at the Spirit camp picnic.

3. Being in Bloomington for the Spartacus performance- yelling "I am Spartacus!" with 30k or so others.

4. Seeing SCV play their 2009 show with all its goosebumps.

5. Spirit and Crossman playing in the dark on the soccer field in Bloomington. Such love and tradition- the Spirit kids with red tears on their cheeks, the Xmen with blue on theirs. Beautiful.

6. Phantom doing Faust

7. Bluecoats doing the "acapella" Boxer. Played the clip over and over. Even better in person of course.

8. But far and away the best moment ever was seeing my beautiful boy, transformed into a tall skinny confident tall person, marching semi-finals at the same stadium where I had played when I was his age as a freshmen in college and then for four years, and where, when he was five, he saw his first college football game. Could not stop crying.

Edited by dapperpoet

Speaking of Stanford, I was standing in the stadium with others listening to the scores. When Brandt Crocker began to announce us at 1st place, I heard one guy boo, which made my night :laughing: . Other than that, the West crowd was quite good. The same thing happened the next night in Clovis, CA....

I remember those shows. Stanford was probably our worse show of the year. The whole count off at the beginning of the show got messed up and the whole corps stepped off at different times. And Clovis was cool because we got to do an encore with you guys and I got to stand by my friend from back home.

And I may not know what that particular moment felt like at 2007 quarterfinals for you guys, I'm telling you and you can ask any Blue Devil I've marched with, a very very small amount of people are rooting for us when we go out east. It's interesting to feel like you're completely hated by your hometown crowd where no one wants you to do well. I can't even imagine what it was like in the old days when the Allentown crowd would chant "EAST! EAST! EAST!" when the Blue Devils used to take the field.

One that I'm sruprised that I hadn't seen:

2007 Phantom Regiment Fire Bird, Sprinting and blowing your face off!!!

Thats because its super dirty and there's lots of feet in the sound. Plus it sounds terrible.

Top moments which I thought defined the decade, not necessarily MY top moments of the decade

Starting the decade off with a tie. I remember reading that some people possibly wanted the Cadets and Cavaliers to face off in another show? 2000 was the year before I got into drum corps, but from watching those two shows, I could definitely see how both could win. But that Cadets tenor feature was awesome!

Adagio - 2000 Vanguard. Definitely one of the top moments of that year

The Cavaliers winning from 2000-2002, 2004, and 2006. Only corps to win 5 in a decade

2002 Cavaliers' Undefeated season. It's definitely an accomplishment to go undefeated, especially that year with some pretty good shows trailing them. Probably one of the biggest 1st to 2nd spreads in DCI finals history.

2003 - Blue Devils stopping Cavies winning streak with a great show. Cadets for their "marching preshow warmup" which I remember being very controversial. Ironically, I think the entire top 5 this past year had some sort of a preshow music/drill. Phantom coming back to competitive prominence.

2004 - Scott Dean, Vanguard's company front, 007, and a "new" Crossmen

2005 - Cadets controversial and AMAZING show (with a door). Another 99.15

2006 - Cavaliers visual and a drum corps version of crowd surfing incorporated into the show. Phantom jumping Blue Devils on finals night. And a guy that kept on marching around Camp Randall and eventually on to the field....

2007 - Blue Devils winning on their home coast. Hashmarks and a VERY demanding show. A horse race. In July, the first time someone who has not won a DCI championship beating the Blue Devils, AND they beat the Cavaliers that same night.

2008 - I AM SPARTACUS

2009 - Very competitive at the top, yet still an Undefeated season for the Blue Devils. Getting the 2nd highest score in DCI history even with losing brass in a distant second. And only ONE time all season (Semifinals) did a corp even come within a point of the Blue Devils (0.85). Probably one of the most statistically dominant seasons in DCI history. And Phantom did jazz!

Can't wait to watch the next decade from the stands! :laughing:

Opener - Blue Devils Guard in 2007, and those #### cool wings and haunting, ominous music to go with it. Fantastic!

Cadets 2002 Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. Crowds loved it wherever they went. I was on tour and know that for a fact, no opinion here.

Indianapolis' RCA Dome - Year: 200? I don't even know what corps it was (maybe Spirit). The corps was on the field in a frozen pose to start their performance. The announcement was made to "take the field for competition." It was very quiet and for good reason. The corps was missing both drum majors. It seemed like a minute went by before a single female guard member with a basket in hand broke her stillness and actually began to roam and dance about the field with entertaining movements and expressions, making the audience laugh and breaking the uncomfortable silence that had filled the stadium. After what seemed like three minutes or more, two figures approached from the left of the stadium, marching majestically, with an aire of confidence and pride. One climbed up the podium and commanded the corps to perform.

I thought the entire corps handled the situation with class and dignity. I understand the two drum majors somehow were delayed by the dome's airlock system.

Edited by BeachDrums

Things that come to my mind immediately:

* Cadets 2000 tenor solo and horn solo/play on the other dude's horn thing

* Cavaliers 2002 Fight Club

* Cavaliers 2004 drumline circle thing

* Cadets 2005 drum solo, with Liquid being a close second (don't know why the drum solo strikes me more than anything else at the moment)

* Cavaliers 2006 "palette cleanser" stretch thing before the Marsalis tune, AND the pass-the-horn player thing (a close third would be the gears thing towards the end)

* Cavaliers visual design from 2000-2006. I know that's a lot and very general, but their visual design those years changed visual design for all of drum corps; to try and narrow it down to 'moments' is tough

* Cadets 2006, 2007, and 2008 for COMPLETELY pushing the boundaries of innovation (like it or not, that stuff changed the game a bit)

* Phantom 2008 ending

* Crown 2009 dissolving and reforming front

* SCV 2009 end push