Drum Corps moments of the decade

Phantom Regiment with a brilliant move by show designers to alter the ending of Spartacus in 2008 at the DM podium right before Championships was the signature move of the decade in my opinion. Keep in mind that it is doubtful that in a Title won by a matter of a tenth that Phantom Regiment would have beaten BD otherwise. It was just the inspiration the Corps needed to provide them that extra spark at the end of the year to catapult them to victory. And a victory at finals in which no other semi finals 2nd place finisher in the decade won Finals.... and thus, the Championship Title.

I second this one...and with all due respect to BD..and how they must have interpreted this. The first thing I will remember about the decade is when 2nd place was announced in 2008. I have been to MANY years of drum corps shows, and I have never experienced the spontaneous crowd response like the one that occured at that moment....if you were not fortunate to be there in person...you missed something amazing...

and in a 2nd place tie...Cadets & Phantom 2003, Cadets 2006 (yes 2006), Cadets BWBB, Bluecoats 2008

Edited by G-Rott

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown 2009 Puck

The crowd's reaction when Crown finished 2nd in 09

Bluecoats horn feature 08

PR 08 at finals

2000 - SCV "Adagio for Strings"

2001 - SCV New Era Chant

2002 - Cavaliers "Fight Club"

2003 - Phantom's last minute

2004 - SCV drum break

2005 - Cadets drumbreak

2006 - BD's Godfather theme hit

2007 - Carolina Crown as the horses rounded the final turn

2008 - Phantom...DM takes the podium

2009 - SCV "Simple Gifts" push at the end

Cadets 2000 - The best things I love about Cadets are the endings. This one is one of my top favorites....and I just remember watching and being hooked immediately. I think it was one of the few times that I actually wanted to be a part of something that cool and memorable.

Cavaliers 2002 - The drum break/dance section had me going nuts. I'll never forget the drill....pure genius.

2003 - This was probably the best top 12 year of the decade. Solid from top to bottom. It was also the DVD I watched the most and even dreamed of one day marching. It was also the first time I watched Phantom 2003 and falling under a harmonic spell.... :smile:

2005 - This year stands out as a moment itself. It seemed like I was watching shows becoming more different and innovative, and when I watched Cadets 2005, I hated that show. Now it has also moved up to one of my all-time favorites.

2007 - When marching my first year, I couldn't help but notice Crown behind us by nearly two points every night (the first half of the season)....knowing they were getting better thanks to the percussion, but I kept thinking "They won't catch us." And boy, was I wrong the next year....

The biggest moment of 2007 happened to be the hashmarks incident on quarters. Anybody remember? From a member perspective, I was confused, and I was also stunned to hear the crowd boo at the end of our performance (half boo, half cheer).

Everything that happened on quarters night turned The Cadets 2007 into a really angry corps. We marched like ############, and we played the same way. It paid off on finals night.....unforgettable.

2008 - Yep, my year off that I hated. But when I saw Crown had beat Cadets in Orlando, I was like "nooooo," haha....but when I saw them and Cadets in West Chester, I could understand why. Oh, and I was sitting at my computer on the night they announced BD at 2nd.....when I found out online, I swear I thought I heard some crowd reaction from Indy all the way to VA.

2009 - Finals night....when we jazz-ran the company front in the end, I saw the crowd explode out of their seats. I nearly lost it because that happened for the first time all season. It was an awesome ending to an ageout year.

#1 - Crowd at 2008 finals when Phantom won , unbelievable.

thoughts from corps 2000-2009

Phantoms 2008 finals performance. murders , tap dancing fred astare.

BD winged victory opener. godfather drill.

Cadets - tenor solos, brass in 2000 ,soli sections end of 2000

SCV -last company front 2009, Adagio

Cavies -trumpets flying doing drill and wailing in 007 , all of machine

Bluecoats -the boxer brass moment

Blue knights - snowball , ballad drill 2009

Glassmen -flugel solo

Boston - boxes in 2000

Madison -carmen dancer

Crossmen -Capes, heat of the day, firedance , soup.

Colts -uniforms , lots of Cesario drapes.

DCI world class Lost Capitol Regiment , Southwind , Magic , Kiwanis Kavaliers

DCI world class gained - Academy , Blue Stars , Cascades , Mandarins , Teal sound , Pacific Crest , Jersey Surf

Phantom's Canon reprise from 2003 - might be the single most-beautiful non-ballad drum corps moment ever

A couple of honorable mentions from my book:

Bluecoats' Boxer 2007 - if only I could go back in time because the DVD will never be good enough

Cadets running company front 2009 - beat that!

HH

2003- Cadets: "accordian" in Rocky Point

2008- Phantom Regiment: opening statement

2007- Crown: The Horse Race

2002- Cavaliers: Frameworks Fight Club section

2005- Cadets: drum break

2006- Cavaliers: Machine. Several drill and movement moments

2004- Blue Devils: Runaway Train at the end of the show

2009- SCV: End of show

Here's my list:

- first joining a corps

- aging-out with that same coprs 8 years later

- when it was announced that we came in third

- Phantom Regiment's 2008 show

- Bluecoats' 2008 show

- Carolina Crown's 2007, 2008, and 2009 show

- Boston Crusaders just about every year

- Blue Devils 2006 show

- Cavaliers 2002, 2006, and which ever year they did Niagra Falls

I'm sure I'll think of more later.....

The biggest moment of 2007 happened to be the hashmarks incident on quarters. Anybody remember? From a member perspective, I was confused, and I was also stunned to hear the crowd boo at the end of our performance (half boo, half cheer).

Yes, I do remember that very well. I was in the stands watching this show, and I was confused at first, too. That's one thing I'll remember myself for a long time.

DCI world class Lost Capitol Regiment , Southwind , Magic , Kiwanis Kavaliers

DCI world class gained - Academy , Blue Stars , Cascades , Mandarins , Teal sound , Pacific Crest , Jersey Surf

And didn't Magic join World Class/Div. 1 this decade as well? I thought they started out in like Div. 2/Open Class?

And vise versa for Capitol Regiment; did they start, or at least at one point early in the decade, start in World Class, go inactive, then come back in Open Class for a year?

Capital Regiment was in div 3 in '99 and '00, then Div 2 in '01 and '02, then Div 1 in '03-06 before they went inactive the first time for 2 years, returning to Open Class for '09, and going inactive again for this upcoming season.