When did all the fun get sucked out of the activity?

Will

i would also implore the judging community to reward,encourage and credit those programs that bring a sense of joy,lightheartedness and comedy to our arena. :cry:

remember,dying is easy....comedy is hard! :cry:

Edited by dugg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As well as world peace, existentialism, and shows about particle physics.

I designed a show based on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (for all you physicists out there) . . .it was one of my favorite shows ever to create! :-) the kids loved it too. . I don't have a video, but I think you can still listen to the music here:

Enjoy! :-)

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

• 1 month later...

i dont think every show has to have crazy music or costumes to be great! i admit, a good amount of guards have very slow and boring shows. But, its not always the theme/music that makes a show boring, its the way it is performed. Alot of the more boring shows are the most amazing. but i do wish to see some more exciting stuff this year! :doh:

Edited by iguard

i would also implore the judging community to reward,encourage and credit those programs that bring a sense of joy,lightheartedness and comedy to our arena. :doh:

remember,dying is easy....comedy is hard! :doh:

oooops

Edited by iguard

I think Will makes some valid points, and good for him for speaking up.

When did the fun get sucked out of the activity? In my opinion, much like No Child Left Behind forces educators to "teach to the test" in order to secure funding, too many guards design shows for the judges in order to secure placements--hence we see the same shows and themes repeated again and again.

Independant A class this year looks like alot of fun. Lot's of great performances. One guard in particular had the crowd screaming in Trumbull.

The A class sheets are written to put emphasis on training and technique and to take away emphasis on innovation. While I think that many guards that did not make finals in A class had more interesting shows, I can see that the guards that were in finals had great technique and training.

Everyone wants to make finals and be on the DVD. In most cases to do so you need to play the game.

In regards to the music clearance issues...I will never for the life of me understand why an artist would not allow a non-profit performance unit from using their music. If anything it is free advertising.

AMEN!! A-class should not be compared to the NCLB act. In fact, I'd be willing to say that if the NCLB Act was set up to run and teach kids like the A-Class sheets are, then no one would be trying to get rid of it <NCLB>

I want to know when it became acceptable to run from set to set?? What happened to the triade and letting sets evolve vs just running to them. Sooo much walking in shows right now it is crazy.

What class?

In A class, it's perfectly acceptable to not engage the triad for every transition. It's encouraged that the triad is explored, but not that it is in constant use.

I guess I was not clear enough. I was talking mostly the Open class. I would assume that guards need to start engaging it more and for those guards who so would get more credit. Even some World guards are doing a lot of running.