When did all the fun get sucked out of the activity?

Will

and shove them down everyone's throats......

yeah...i just hate it when they shove it down my throat and all the fun gets sucked out! :lookaround:

Edited by dugg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! I completely agree. Several shows instantly come to mind when I read this. James Logan 2007 was probably one of the best received shows I've seen to date and they won that year! Flanagan and Fantasia in 2008. Raiders in 03. Pride in 05.

I think the debate can be taken many ways. We have too many guards that are placed in the wrong classes. And some attempt this on their own accord just for the love of the sport. (Which is great) But it comes down to those guards who take those risks every year and are upset and try to blame the activity. It is simple there are 6 different classes in which to participate, on three different sheets. Instructors and WGI officials should look into this because it could crumble the activity because performers think they cant compete with the Flanagans and the Fantasias of the sport. They are just in the wrong classes. That is why I feel for the next few years WGI should only promote top three finalists in Independant A and Open. For the Scholastic Guards, they should be able to petition WGI based on group experience (after seniors) and the use of feeder programs within their organization. If the program appears strong to WGI they get moved..if not they stay. Also if WGI can promote Guards why cant they demote them as well?

I think the debate can be taken many ways. We have too many guards that are placed in the wrong classes. And some attempt this on their own accord just for the love of the sport. (Which is great) But it comes down to those guards who take those risks every year and are upset and try to blame the activity. It is simple there are 6 different classes in which to participate, on three different sheets. Instructors and WGI officials should look into this because it could crumble the activity because performers think they cant compete with the Flanagans and the Fantasias of the sport. They are just in the wrong classes. That is why I feel for the next few years WGI should only promote top three finalists in Independant A and Open. For the Scholastic Guards, they should be able to petition WGI based on group experience (after seniors) and the use of feeder programs within their organization. If the program appears strong to WGI they get moved..if not they stay. Also if WGI can promote Guards why cant they demote them as well?

Now the flip side to this ( Not to debate you ) Guards stay in lower classes constantly just to recieve medals and win shows. This was also going on for years and so has this debate. I think solutions have been sought after for years to both these situations and it doesn't seem to ever work itself out. Maybe just the nature of the beast.

yeah...i just hate it when they shove it down my throat and all the fun gets sucked out! :blink:

:lookaround::blink:

Now the flip side to this ( Not to debate you ) Guards stay in lower classes constantly just to recieve medals and win shows. This was also going on for years and so has this debate. I think solutions have been sought after for years to both these situations and it doesn't seem to ever work itself out. Maybe just the nature of the beast.

That type of “medal hogging” that you’re referring to has occurred in the percussion arena of our activity for a while. The same Scholastic Open drum line has won the gold medal the past 4 seasons – 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. Don't get me wrong because, good for them for producing a quality product, but it's also nice to see a program grow and accept the challenges of competing in a higher class.

Topic closed. Once it gets personal and accusations are thrown around then yes, I AM sucking the fun out of this post!