Synthesized Timpani

MikeN

Hypothetical Discussion  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What if a corps replaced their timpani with a synthesizer?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea

I'm going to be one of those people I hate on here and not read the thread and comment.

Just unplug. It will kill a whole flock of birds with one stone. BOOM. (Or no more annoying BOOM)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore previous comment, and continue current discussion, that appears to be decent. Might join later.

I think a timpanist can do a lot more with harmonies to the horns and fit with chords better than a fixed pitch synth.

I think a timpanist can do a lot more with harmonies to the horns and fit with chords better than a fixed pitch synth.

There we go.

I'm going to be one of those people I hate on here and not read the thread and comment.

Just unplug. It will kill a whole flock of birds with one stone. BOOM. (Or no more annoying BOOM)

I see both sides, honestly. I marched DCA, which is completely unplugged, and it sounds great! The pit is definitely loud enough without amps, and it doesn't hinder technique. But, I also have been to a lot of DCI shows, and I've never really thought that a pit sounds "too loud" (though I have thought that there are a lot of shows that feature the pit too much to do some random marching maneuver). I think DCA uses unamplified pits well, and I think DCI pre-2003 (or maybe it was 2004, I don't remember) used them well, too. I also think that DCI uses amplified pits very well. As well as amplified voice (when it's used tastefully), and even synths.

That being said, I don't understand why EVERY Corps finds a need to use amps in their pit, or a synth, or amplified voice, or whatever. Hell, I don't understand why at least one DCI corps doesn't TRY to use a G hornline. DCA allows Bb, but there's still a lot of G hornlines that sound great. I think that being progressive is one thing, but being progressive simply for the sake of it is a waste.

Besides, wouldn't it be more progressive for corps to come out with a line of Kanstul G's?

Bottom line, I want to hear good music and see good marching. When I'm at a drum corps show, I see that, so I'm pretty content.

Timpani in drum corps will disappear when the electric bass is legalized. Look at WGI (that's why we have synths now, isn't it? so all of the WGI guys can write in the same style for drum corps?). DCI timpani parts nowadays are basically electric bass parts anyways. It's awesome to find a timpanist who can play like that and who is willing to march drum corps (there are very few timpanists good enough to play what these guys are writing), but the drum corps style of playing is rather far removed from how the instruments are used in a wind ensemble / orchestral setting in my opinion.

Also, I don't know much about the synth tech out there and mixing patches or whatever these fancy machines do, but all of the midi timpani I've ever heard is a complete lolocaust, so I doubt that the timpani voice will be replaced in the synth section by midi timps.

Honestly, amplified pit is fine for me... if done right...

But with the timpani thing.. and any electronic pitched instruments... they don't make sense in drum corps. When you have a horn line trying to tune using "beatless" tuning, and then you have electronic instruments using equal temperament... we are going to have issues... in fact that is the main reason why hornlines ARE being overshadowed by synths (and because of the vlume dial being to hi in some cases). But the ring... the effect of the chord is completely lost when there is an electronic instrument used with a hornline. That is why an electronic timpani would not make sense, it is why synthesizers do not make sense when they are used to double the 16 tubas plus how ever many lowest split baris/euphs you use to double the tubas. We are trying to make music, and encourage good musicianship in DCI, right?

Screw it. Tape the show, and just have everyone march to the music ala WGI. Cheaper, and with big enough speakers louder...win win. Push that BIG easy button.

wow. and here I thought the WGI percussion folks actually played :tongue:

Already happened. Spirit had a bass in their pit, and Teal Sound had a full-out rock band in their pit. I don't know if Teal used timpani or not, but I know Spirit didn't have any.

Teal did indeed have tympani, along with keyboard, bass and electric guitars. All that stuff with pit, battery, and brass created a pretty cool sound.