In The News: Silencing Hawthorne High's Music Man

There are several examples of this not being the case in my state alone. In PA there are a number of successful marching bands that are not run by the high school band director, but a supplemental marching band director.

Yup..the band I write for and teach is the same in NJ. The MB director is teaching in the upper elementary this year...MB is all-after school and 100% extra-curricular. Last year I was the MB director, and I am not even a teacher in the district.

Happens all over NJ.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to work just fine for the few examples I know of locally. I'm not saying it's the best solution in all cases, but to say it doesn't work at all is absurd.

Where did I say it "doesn't work at all"? It very well could work. I was just commenting on a couple of situations in which I knew this happened. I don't think it's an ideal situation, but in some cases it may work.

Where did I say it "doesn't work at all"? It very well could work. I was just commenting on a couple of situations in which I knew this happened. I don't think it's an ideal situation, but in some cases it may work.

You said:

"But in the real world, any administration that knows anything knows that the HS concert band director has to be the marching director." and "I understand the importance of bringing in outside people for the MB staff, but you need a director that is plugged into the school in a daily fashion to male it work."

Seemed pretty exclusive to me.

Don, thanks for the response :tongue:

You said:

"But in the real world, any administration that knows anything knows that the HS concert band director has to be the marching director." and "I understand the importance of bringing in outside people for the MB staff, but you need a director that is plugged into the school in a daily fashion to male it work."

Seemed pretty exclusive to me.

Yep, your right. I did say that. Probably because that's what I believe. I was just trying to be diplomatic. You can list a successful program in which the MB director is not the indoor director. My feelings are over the long term if that MB director was the indoor director, the MB will be more successful. It's not about having a degree, it's about being plugged into the school. The more you are, the better your band will be.

Think we got far enough off topic?