In The News: Silencing Hawthorne High's Music Man

I guess to bring in a devil advocate's perspective, the school (or district?) asked for him to provide or put together a marching band and he declined. Also, focusing strictly on percussion (again, don't know the whole story... just what's in the article read) would show or demonstrate some sort of segregation (don't know a better word to use, sorry) between students who choose one instrument over another. I guess if I was an admin looking in, that's what I would see.

The marching band... is at most times (it seems) the only music group that shows itself in public performances (outside) where others (like admins) can see them... football games, parades, the grand opening of a new McDonald's down the road...

It's really cool to read what this guy has done with the winter drum line, but if that is all he is doing, then I can see why the school admin or district would get on him about it.

So then, I guess... from the perspective of the ones signing the paychecks... if Hawthorne's drum line is doing so great, why cannot other students (who say, have an interest in the clarinet or trombone, for example) receive the same...err... opportunities? Where's the marching band? Where's the concert band?

Again, based on what the article reads, this guy has done wonders for the students he has worked with and deserves the recognition for it, but there are other sides to this story. I for one would like to hear them before coming to any sort of conclusion on who is doing what right or wrong.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame this has happened. Although I have never seen Gold, it was impressive on what they have accomplished. It does sound from the article that the director is getting the shaft. Of course this would not be a union issue unless he is fired, which he was not. The district can re-assign any teacher anywhere within their teaching area, and generally at any time. My guess is there is more to this story. While I am the last person to defend the school administration, generally they will not re-assign a teacher without just cause. We probably will never know the entire story.

The situation seems ridiculous. The guy gets screwed because he's teaching kids to do push ups instead of smoking crack. It's totally absurd.

Long story short, from what I’ve heard he went to the district with the desire to start a marching band and needed money for instruments. They agreed and gave him money. Then he used that money to buy instruments for Gold. Technically he did start one just not part of Hawthorne High School. So when they saw no marching band, wondered where the money went.

Bottom line, he was let go for misuse of school funds.

Long story short, from what I’ve heard he went to the district with the desire to start a marching band and needed money for instruments. They agreed and gave him money. Then he used that money to buy instruments for Gold. Technically he did start one just not part of Hawthorne High School. So when they saw no marching band, wondered where the money went.

He wasn't fired, he was re-assigned. If the school purchased instruments and he let Gold use them, the school would still own them. Technically, he should have received official approval for allowing Gold to use these instruments. If he did not, this could be the issue. What percentage of Gold's members are students at Hawthorne HS? If it is a large percentage, why not just extend their season and call them the marching band?

And it took the school several years to figure this out?? Doesn't sound entirely correct....

A little caution: though opinions constitute protected speech, declarative statements without substantiation can be libel.

Don't you have to prove harm, tho? Otherwise practically everything ANYONE says could be libel or slander.

From Gold's website:

Gold Drum and Bugle Corps is an Open Class corps formed by Dr. Donald Flaherty in January of 2005.

We are located in Hawthorne, California and are part of a summer music program of the

Centinela Valley High School District.

Hawthorne High School is in the Centinela Valley High School District.