Where Should I Go Now?

First post say he doesn't have money to fly.

Well you'll be driving a ton no matter where you go. You seem to be equally far from several DCI and DCA corps. If you're set on marching DCI, consider your current ability level and pick a corps to visit for their Jan camp. If things don't work out during the winter, don't give up-check with corps in May and you may be able to hook up with a corps and learn the show during everydays.

FYI- VA's only competitive corps, Shenandoah Sound, is only 6 hours away from you and we have a bunch of people on the 81 corridor that would offer rides.

Whatever you do, DCI/DCA, march somewhere!

Good luck to you!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you read the first post he's not planning on marching until 2011 (not this summer)

Wow, thanks to all of you for the advice, it really helps talking to you vets

When is Platinum getting ready to take off, cause hey, 4 hours isnt bad, I have family in Illinois which isnt but 13 hrs away

Capital Regiment really impressed me at finals this past year and I really do hope they return

I am going to my local community college for my first two years of school as a music major on saxophone, and there is no marching club or band so on to be in..which is why I want to start small like on open class, I would rather march DCA after I age out

But if anyone is affiliated with or knows anything about Platinum let me know I am very interested!

Thanks again everyone

Oh and also if I ever marched World class (if I am still in VA because who knows where college will take me) I was looking more towards ohio or north carolina

Edited by Aussiehatswithfeathers

Lebanon, VA to:

Mount Holly, NJ (Jersey Surf): 8 hours

Atlanta, GA (Spirit): 6 hours

Toledo, OH (Glassmen): 8 hours

Thomasville, GA (Teal): 9 hours

Greensboro, NC (Carolina Gold/DCA): 4 hours

Cary, NC (Platinum: new Open Class corps): 4 hours

Google Maps: everyone's friend. :rolleyes:

Crown 3 1/2 hours

Crown 3 1/2 hours

Yes. Doesn't matter if you are worried about making it or not. Go for experience. You will still receive the best brass instruction around at the camps there. I didn't even make it, and it made me twice as good.

Yea man I am in the same boat with ya. Though I marched Capital Regiment last year on baritone.

However, I play percussion first and foremost and it is WAYYYYY harder to find somewhere to go. I'm not really concerned about it this year, since I am only 15 and all have more years ahead of me.

Def though check out Platinum. I have been getting e-mails from them and evidently the camps went good. Idk if you know anything about Cary, NC, but that is the spot for a major band competition every year so I am sure they will get more people. If not, check out Cadets (where I want to go) they need baritones and it really isn't hard to switch. I went from SNARE to baritone.

Good Luck man, glad you liked us at Finals last year, we busted butt all season to have a great return. I wish you the best of luck finding a corps to march in as it really is a great activity. One you will always remember.

Yea man I am in the same boat with ya. Though I marched Capital Regiment last year on baritone.

However, I play percussion first and foremost and it is WAYYYYY harder to find somewhere to go. I'm not really concerned about it this year, since I am only 15 and all have more years ahead of me.

Def though check out Platinum. I have been getting e-mails from them and evidently the camps went good. Idk if you know anything about Cary, NC, but that is the spot for a major band competition every year so I am sure they will get more people. If not, check out Cadets (where I want to go) they need baritones and it really isn't hard to switch. I went from SNARE to baritone.

Good Luck man, glad you liked us at Finals last year, we busted butt all season to have a great return. I wish you the best of luck finding a corps to march in as it really is a great activity. One you will always remember.

Well I play both baritone/euphonium pretty much the same thing when you get to the grits of it.

Yea I posted on their facebook page, I am just really focused on marching somewhere DCI, I just do not know where because I don't have the resources to just drive 8 hours and get turned down, even though that may happen.

Cary is close only 4 1/2 hours and cap reg is 6, crown is even closer but that would be an option after some experience

I just really wanna choose the right place to go, and this is such a great place to narrow down my options

Yes Glassmen is an option for sure, ive been guided by two DCI vets that are on staff with my marching band and they both agree i need to probably start out Open class to get a feel for the corps world if you know what I mean