Where Should I Go Now?

Yes Glassmen is an option for sure, ive been guided by two DCI vets that are on staff with my marching band and they both agree i need to probably start out Open class to get a feel for the corps world if you know what I mean

I went to Glassmen with no corps experience and just put everything i had into it and made it. Since you play low brass thats normally a section thats easier to get into. I know in recent years they have had holes in every low brass section at one point so if you dont make it you can become an alternate and have a good chance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audition THIS year for any corps near enough. Even if you don't wind up marching, you'll get great instruction and a feel for what it's like. Even though you've been given some advice in private about not marching a corps like Glassmen this season, you really should consider it. Teal and Surf are great options, too. Just GO FOR IT!

Well I play both baritone/euphonium pretty much the same thing when you get to the grits of it.

Not really...

Euphonium is special. Very few people WANT to choose that horn. So no audition competition. At the 8 minute mark of a field show, you crest a certain limit and adrenaline kicks in and makes you a super hero. Something that you just don't get on Baritone. Euphonium has the larger bore so playing louder is possible without sounding like you're a marching band major (even if you are). Baritone is what you play when you're too old to lug around a tank.

-----

Shenandoah sound - about the only VA option.

Carolina Gold

Corpsvets

Spirit

Alliance

Teal Sound

Music City Legend

Boston Crusaders

Cadets

Tons of options in your area +/- 1,000 miles. None on your street per say, but close enough for drumcorps. It's a little easier to march far away in Jr. Corps. If you can slack on the winter commitment, you only need to travel ONCE for the big summer fling. As opposed to every weekend for several months, which will draw on you a lot. 7+ hours of driving... I just drove 7+ hours last weekend....

Any reason in particular for Capital Regiment? Marched there before? Know people marching there? Like the uniform? Like the Corps Jacket? If it's because you know people, you probably don't want to take a year away. Some of those people will age out this year. Leaving you with a sort of something is missing feeling when you rejoin after a year off.

in all seriousness..stop cheating yourself in confidence, you can definitly march this season on baritone anywhere, its all about attitude and commitment. I am an original baritone player, but am nothing special, but i give my all and have respect throughout both my band and corps. If money is why you cant march this season then so be thats uncontrolable, but dont be scared cause if you fall in love with the activity like many of us have, then you will wish you had this year back.

Strange to see so many say "go a little further than Capital Regiment and do Glassmen" and yet no one says "go a little further than Capital Regiment and do Bluecoats" ...

There -- I said it!!

Strange to see so many say "go a little further than Capital Regiment and do Glassmen" and yet no one says "go a little further than Capital Regiment and do Bluecoats" ...

There -- I said it!!

because now a days there are the starter corps that you go to that lead you to the top corps. Bluecoats have been in the top6 for several years so its harder to get in there then say Glassmen. Also i like to try to recruit :shutup:

because now a days there are the starter corps that you go to that lead you to the top corps. Bluecoats have been in the top6 for several years so its harder to get in there then say Glassmen. Also i like to try to recruit :smile:

:shutup:

What he said and I don't know how Bluecoats' camps compare but it would be very stressful jumping in 3 (?) camps late at a top 6 corps on an instrument you don't know very well. Sure it's possible but it's not my advice for where he should go now.