Lets discuss

So the model should be what we did in the 70's?

I say this because...the larger corps who are financially sound should do two tours (1st and 2nd tour). Other corps should do weekends until the last 1 or 2 weeks before DCI Championships. Lets try to bring drum corps back and I mean quantities of corps. It can be done but DCI has to come up and institute the plan. What could it hurt?

Who is going to join these corps that are just 'doing weekends'?? Who is going to start enough corps all over the country to provide sufficient corps to even HAVE weekend only shows? Who is going to sponsor all of these shows?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always great threads from you, Keith ... and from my perspective, Mike D is making the most sense. As some may already know St. Rita's in the early seventies was hugely funded (probably the first drum corps with a dedicated Bingo Night in a real bingo hall) but the parish backed us, too.

Our corps officers didn't want to participate with what they thought was a fairly evil group of men (not from the East, mind you so apparently not to be trusted) wanting to take over the happy-go-lucky world of drum corps and destroy every life of every young boy and girl in America and make it impossible for any human under the age of 18 to ever attend a championship drum corps show - at least that's what I think they thought.

I think, on the other hand, that we didn't know DCI joining and participation would become necessary for a corps continued success.

I think.

Puppet

Your point about bingo is right on. The 70's was mostly about $'s to be successful, due to a recession imo

but out of adversity, corps appeared with innovations at the time;

your WSS show reflected a great movie of the time

many corps continued to travel and perform

maybe we've come full circle and we in our wise years should start a corps for the under 18's

DCI corps toured to find enough shows to fill a season as the activity got smaller and smaller...they didn't decide to tour because they wanted to. IMO you have this backwards. Touring was a reaction to the shrinkage, not the cause of it.

That is not accurate.

Look at the 1972 DCI tour and ask yourself if the Blue Stars toured to California because there weren't enough shows/corps left in the Midwest for them to have a season. Look at SCV, Kingsmen, Argonne....all in areas that had grown in number of corps/shows leading up to 1972. They didn't tour for lack of any other options....they toured because they wanted to.

That is not accurate.

Look at the 1972 DCI tour and ask yourself if the Blue Stars toured to California because there weren't enough shows/corps left in the Midwest for them to have a season. Look at SCV, Kingsmen, Argonne....all in areas that had grown in number of corps/shows leading up to 1972. They didn't tour for lack of any other options....they toured because they wanted to.

I would add a twist to this as saying we toured because that's where the competiton was. Many of the corps that fell under the original "traveling corps model" such as the Troopers, SCV, Kingsmen, VK, Argonne, did so because the competition was in the mid-west and east coast. In the case of SCV and Anaheim (and VK) they all could have stayed in California and competed against each other but no one in the drum corps world would take them seriously till they ventured east. The top prizes of that time being CYO, Danny Thomas, World Open, US Open, and North American Open (VFW/AL). For that time period we (SCV) toured because that's where the competition was, not because we wanted to. The top corps of that time frame were the Kilties, Cavaliers, Des Plaines Vanguard, Madison, 27th, Blue Rock, Bless Sac, Boston, etc... all being in the Mid-West and East Coast so we had no choice but to travel to those competitions to compete seriously. During that same time frame we had the Joaquin Caballeros (local CA Corps) who were outstanding but nobody knew who they were because they only competed in California.

So (IMHO) we toured because to be competitive in the drum corps world you had to venture where the competition was.

Edited by amadorj

I guess the model is at DCA. Look at the success they have. It works, why not use...and they are growing!

Who is going to join these corps that are just 'doing weekends'?? Who is going to start enough corps all over the country to provide sufficient corps to even HAVE weekend only shows? Who is going to sponsor all of these shows?

I would add a twist to this as saying we toured because that's where the competiton was. Many of the corps that fell under the original "traveling corps model" such as the Troopers, SCV, Kingsmen, VK, Argonne, did so because the competition was in the mid-west and east coast. In the case of SCV and Anaheim (and VK) they all could have stayed in California and competed against each other but no one in the drum corps world would take them seriously till they ventured east. The top prizes of that time being CYO, Danny Thomas, World Open, US Open, and North American Open (VFW/AL). For that time period we (SCV) toured because that's where the competition was, not because we wanted to. The top corps of that time frame were the Kilties, Cavaliers, Des Plaines Vanguard, Madison, 27th, Blue Rock, Bless Sac, Boston, etc... all being in the Mid-West and East Coast so we had no choice but to travel to those competitions to compete seriously. During that same time frame we had the Joaquin Caballeros (local CA Corps) who were outstanding but nobody knew who they were because they only competed in California.

So (IMHO) we toured because to be competitive in the drum corps world you had to venture where the competition was.

So you toured because you wanted to....compete for national-level titles.

I guess the model is at DCA. Look at the success they have. It works, why not use...and they are growing!

I agree-maybe a DCA model "plus." A small tour would be good-I think that was one of the draws of DCI. The DCI national touring model is not sustainable for smaller corps. It would also be nice to see the revival of or creation of new regional championships and maybe keep the top corps out. Give other corps a chance to win something big.

That is not accurate.

Well I a talking about the general trend of shows and declining corps over time...not individual corps that chose to do a tour in a given year.

I agree-maybe a DCA model "plus." A small tour would be good-I think that was one of the draws of DCI. The DCI national touring model is not sustainable for smaller corps. It would also be nice to see the revival of or creation of new regional championships and maybe keep the top corps out. Give other corps a chance to win something big.

There is nothing to stop that from happening today if there were enough corps, sponsors and kids. None of those exist, nor IMO is it going to happen on any scale large enough to make much of a difference.

Competitive MB has taken the place of those small corps and local circuits, in far larger number than ever existed pre-DCI.

There is nothing to stop that from happening today if there were enough corps, sponsors and kids. None of those exist, nor IMO is it going to happen on any scale large enough to make much of a difference.

Competitive MB has taken the place of those small corps and local circuits, in far larger number than ever existed pre-DCI.

Bands are more plentiful and better than ever. I've long suspected that a great deal of kids are getting their marching fix by being members of strong, competitive bands. I also suspect that a good number get burned out on marching from competing in high school bands.

Add to that summer jobs and lots of distractions that didn't exist in prior decades and it takes a more special-than-ever kid to do drum corps.