Crusaders will not field a competition corps for 2010

On behalf of The Sun Devils Drum and Bugle Corps, we wish you a speedy return to the field. You, without a doubt, will be missed.

See you in 2011!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of Crusaders going inactive.Competed many times against them in the 70's with the Sunrisers.Good luck in the future.

Billy D.

St.Joseph Patron Cadets feeder corps 64-65

St Joseph Patron Sea Cadets 67-72

L.I Sunrisers 1972,73,74,75,76,77,78,80,2007

St Rita's Brassmen Alumni 2006 to present

Sorry to hear of Crusaders going inactive.Competed many times against them in the 70's with the Sunrisers.Good luck in the future.

Billy D.

St.Joseph Patron Cadets feeder corps 64-65

St Joseph Patron Sea Cadets 67-72

L.I Sunrisers 1972,73,74,75,76,77,78,80,2007

St Rita's Brassmen Alumni 2006 to present

I remember competing against you and watching your steady improvement on the field from '72 until you finally caught us (and a lot of other corps) at the end of '76. Then the "dynasty"

This is very sad news. I was really excited to hear my good friend "Joey O"s arrangements for this year. Hopefully everything will work out soon and Cru will be back where they belong!

This is very sad news. I was really excited to hear my good friend "Joey O"s arrangements for this year. Hopefully everything will work out soon and Cru will be back where they belong!

AMEN!

I think if the directors decide that a move is in order, they will move. After the failure in Erie last year, people went to both ES and Cru. Some even went to the White Sabres! I personally saw over 25 horns at 2 rehearsals in Erie, but percussion and guard were an issue. A base of operations in the Buffalo area, with an outreach to western PA/eastern Ohio and the southern tier of NY may be a timely idea.

I can only echo the sentiments for a speedy return for the Fabulous Crusaders!

If you go back and read the original post, it doesn't appear that the problems Cru are experiencing are related to bodies on the field so much as decisions made by corps management off the field. Simply moving the base of operations won't solve those problems or problems resulting from poor business decisions. I wish Cru the best in getting their house in order and returning to the field soon!

I remember competing against you and watching your steady improvement on the field from '72 until you finally caught us (and a lot of other corps) at the end of '76. Then the "dynasty"

I look back on my rookie season in Sun and recall that winter in (71) the corps was about to call it quits because of lack of members.The few vets in Sun decided to keep it going no matter what,and somehow we scraped together 36 horns and about12 drummers.We made a strong effort by DCA finals and came in 8th that year.The next two years were very difficult,again for lack of numbers.The 74 season being the worst(25 horns)We were fortunate to have a small nucleus of members who stuck it out and eventually add new people with that nucleus.1975 was to be a breakout season,and in 76 we went out with 42 horns and came in 3rd place in finals.The great Sunriser corps would come following that season.I will always be proud of being part of that building process to a championship caliber corps.I have been blessed to have won a few championships.I think of all the great players in senior corps with much more talent than I, who never won a title.To those players I have the utmost respect for because they were dedicated to their corps.To the Crusaders or any other corps that is inactive or corps struggling with getting members(my Sunrisers corps included) Hang tough and may you all be back to the field of competition.

Billy D.

St Joseph Patron Cadets feeder corps 64-65

St Joseph Patron Sea Cadets 66-72

L.I. Sunrisers 72,73,74,75,76,77,78,80,2007

St.Rita's Brassmen 2006-present

Sun HoF 2005

Heat Wave almost called it quits the year they won the "A" Class championships. Good thing the corps came together and worked so hard.

I look back on my rookie season in Sun and recall that winter in (71) the corps was about to call it quits because of lack of members.The few vets in Sun decided to keep it going no matter what,and somehow we scraped together 36 horns and about12 drummers.We made a strong effort by DCA finals and came in 8th that year.The next two years were very difficult,again for lack of numbers.The 74 season being the worst(25 horns)We were fortunate to have a small nucleus of members who stuck it out and eventually add new people with that nucleus.1975 was to be a breakout season,and in 76 we went out with 42 horns and came in 3rd place in finals.The great Sunriser corps would come following that season.I will always be proud of being part of that building process to a championship caliber corps.I have been blessed to have won a few championships.I think of all the great players in senior corps with much more talent than I, who never won a title.To those players I have the utmost respect for because they were dedicated to their corps.To the Crusaders or any other corps that is inactive or corps struggling with getting members(my Sunrisers corps included) Hang tough and may you all be back to the field of competition.

Billy D.

St Joseph Patron Cadets feeder corps 64-65

St Joseph Patron Sea Cadets 66-72

L.I. Sunrisers 72,73,74,75,76,77,78,80,2007

St.Rita's Brassmen 2006-present

Sun HoF 2005

If you go back and read the original post, it doesn't appear that the problems Cru are experiencing are related to bodies on the field so much as decisions made by corps management off the field. Simply moving the base of operations won't solve those problems or problems resulting from poor business decisions. I wish Cru the best in getting their house in order and returning to the field soon!

i know someone who was at the meeting and was involved in the decision. yes they have money problems but they also have problems with recruiting people. they have had this problem for a while.

Edited by donincardona

The Crusaders need to find their "cool" again. Enough of the classical stuff, play some kick*ss tunes people can have fun with, challenging and played with major cajones like they used to. Look back to your roots and get "it" back.

Edited by Borg Bari