2009 Finals DVD's

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard any reviews of the 2009 Finals DVD's. I have heard that the high camera wasn't so high. I'd also like to know about the musical quality.

They look and sound great on my 82" HD, LCD home theatre system with 5.1 surround sound! I am pleased with the quality...best yet since DCI started with the DVD format. I have to say after viewing the DVD's, the Blue Devils have definately grown on me, they were really good. And Santa Clara, what a masterfully conceived show! I could easily have seen them in second place, wonderful drum corps!

And if you really want to be blown away, get a copy of BD's Blue Smoke on Blue Ray. Watch the 2009 Championship performance, or even better, the 2009 encore performance in HD. You'll see how much better drum corps is in HD. The disc has BDB as well, plus a slew of extras in HD too.

• 1 month later...
They look and sound great on my 82" HD, LCD home theatre system with 5.1 surround sound! I am pleased with the quality...best yet since DCI started with the DVD format. I have to say after viewing the DVD's, the Blue Devils have definately grown on me, they were really good. And Santa Clara, what a masterfully conceived show! I could easily have seen them in second place, wonderful drum corps!

Just got mine yesterday. I've only watched the top six so far, but the video and sound quality are wonderful!

OK, I realize this is probably opening an old wound, but here goes: Having watched both the mixed-angle and high-cam versions, I'm asking myself, "How did Carolina Crown not win?" Mind you, this is coming from a BD homer who was totally in Blue Devils' corner back when I saw them in Buffalo. But watching and listening, I'm scratching my head. I'm not a total Crown convert yet, but I'd like to see/hear some convincing arguments defending why Blue Devils deserved to win and/or why Carolina Crown should have won. No "Chairs suck!" posts, please. I don't care if you think chairs are the best thing since sliced bread, the Evil Empire or the third sign of the coming Apocalypse. I'm looking for objective feedback.

Here's my take (and hopefully it's OK to go into this in this thread, since it's the DVD that got me asking these questions):

Blue Devils -- phenomenal sound, brilliant drill design in places, what looks to be somewhat murky visual transitions/forms at others. I don't have any problem with their use of chairs, and I understand the inherent difficulty of standing on them to play an instrument, perform guard work, etc. It is more demanding than standing on the more stable surface of a field. I get that. However, I have a couple of problems with the way in which they were used: the static visual pauses run fairly long, almost uncomfortably so in spots. And, rather than expanding the field, the chairs seem to constrict it in places.

Carolina Crown -- phenomenal sound, brilliant drill design throughout, and IMO a more visually dynamic and complete show than Blue Devils. Can someone convince me otherwise?

Let the debate begin (again)! :blink:

Oh, and Santa Clara Vanguard still moves me to tears! That show is really the only one I connected with on such a visceral emotional level. :blink:

I don't care too much about the High Cam; it seemed fine enough to me. Yes it was a little low, but I think it was good enough.

The quality was great. From Devils all the way to Colts to Pio and to Mempho (if you were getting 13-21/OC). Very Pleased.

Just got mine yesterday. I've only watched the top six so far, but the video and sound quality are wonderful!

OK, I realize this is probably opening an old wound, but here goes: Having watched both the mixed-angle and high-cam versions, I'm asking myself, "How did Carolina Crown not win?" Mind you, this is coming from a BD homer who was totally in Blue Devils' corner back when I saw them in Buffalo. But watching and listening, I'm scratching my head. I'm not a total Crown convert yet, but I'd like to see/hear some convincing arguments defending why Blue Devils deserved to win and/or why Carolina Crown should have won. No "Chairs suck!" posts, please. I don't care if you think chairs are the best thing since sliced bread, the Evil Empire or the third sign of the coming Apocalypse. I'm looking for objective feedback.

Here's my take (and hopefully it's OK to go into this in this thread, since it's the DVD that got me asking these questions):

Blue Devils -- phenomenal sound, brilliant drill design in places, what looks to be somewhat murky visual transitions/forms at others. I don't have any problem with their use of chairs, and I understand the inherent difficulty of standing on them to play an instrument, perform guard work, etc. It is more demanding than standing on the more stable surface of a field. I get that. However, I have a couple of problems with the way in which they were used: the static visual pauses run fairly long, almost uncomfortably so in spots. And, rather than expanding the field, the chairs seem to constrict it in places.

Carolina Crown -- phenomenal sound, brilliant drill design throughout, and IMO a more visually dynamic and complete show than Blue Devils. Can someone convince me otherwise?

Let the debate begin (again)! :thumbup:

Hmmmm, I was at finals last year and from what I could see, BD was absolutely perfect. Crown was good, but not as crisp as BD (sans the horns).